1969 Dodge Dart Engine Stutter

-
I think I may have a vacuum leak, too. I hear some sort of low hissing.
I think it is coming from behind the engine or toward the firewall

Sounds you have isolated it to being electrical. Good job. If more people around here listened, they'd have success like you have.

I think I may have a vacuum leak, too. I hear some sort of low hissing.
I think it is coming from behind the engine or toward the firewall
One thing at a time. The vacuum leak can wait. Or if it Just blew a hose off connect it and move on.

One thing at a time. The vacuum leak can wait. Or if it Just blew a hose off connect it and move on.

I agree. He's found the main problem I believe. Get it ironed out and move on.

OK the early (pre 70) charging system is dead nuts simple You have power from the key, known slang as "ignition run" or IGN1 which goes through the bulkhead connector and supplies everything under the hood for engine run, ignition, power to the voltage regulator, the alternator field in 70/ later, electric choke in later years, etc etc

So the VR/ alternator field circuit is simple. The dark blue "run" line branches off to feed the VR IGN terminal. The VR MUST BE GROUNDED. The field terminal feeds the green wire which goes to the alternator field --through the field--and to ground. This countrols charging.

The alternator is grounded by bolted to the engine, and the output stud comes off--feeds (BIG BLACK) through the bulkhead connector, to the under-dash welded splice where it branches off to the fuse panel, the ignition switch, and the headlight switch----goes through the ammeter---comes out through the bulkhad connector on BIG RED---through the fuse link---to the big starter relay stud---and to the battery

Simplified diagram of power distro:

Catalog

View attachment 1715763397

Simplified diagram of the VR/ field:

View attachment 1715763398

SO-------------some simple tests:

I "sort of" divide the problem into 3 areas---

1.....The VR/ field circuit
2.....The output / ammeter circuit
3.....The major components, here mostly the alternator and VR

1...Disconnect the green field wire at alternator. Rig a jumper wire from that alternator terminal direct to the battery. If possible, get in subdued light and connect/ disconnect it and watch and listen for a small spark which will tell you the field is drawing current. Don't sweat that. Start engine with voltmeter connected direct to battery. Run RPM up simulating cruise RPM and see if battery voltage climbs at all.

2....If no change above, now you want to see if alternator is possibly "putting out" but maybe the charging wire circuit is open. So now move your voltmeter to the alternator output stud and re-run the test. If no output change, the alternator is not charging.

3....One thing you can do is to pull the alternator and remove and inspect brushes. Look for excessive grease/ mud/ other that would cause brush sticking, or severe brush wear or other problems that would prevent brush contact

If this test shows no charge, you either need to fix or replace alternator

===================================

If the above tests DID result in output to the battery, now we need to concentrate on VR and field wiring.

4..To check the wiring, reconnect the green field wire in tests above, and disconnect both wires at VR. Rig a way to jumper these wires together, which will do same thing as first test--that is "full field" alternator---except now we are using the complete harness. If the thing charges, that wiring is intact.

Next remove and inspect grounding on VR. Looseness, stripped bolts, rust, etc, clean around bolt holes remount tight with star lock washers. Reconnect VR and retest. If it will not charge, but did so in last test (4) when jumpered, then replace VR

Obviously if test (4) does not charge, but the earlier test (1,2) did, you have a wiring harness problem.

Ok, so step 4.

First I've got to locate the voltage regulator. I may have questions about this. I don't understand what you mean by "jump these wires together". But, that may become clear once I see the VR.

Here is what I am working with.

engine bay.jpg

What are those dryer hoses? Homemade air conditioner?

So on the inside of the car there are these black boxes under the dash that those feed into. You can open and close a door on the black box. I have no idea what they are for. My best guess is air conditioner of sorts. I'll post a photo.

Ok, so step 4.

First I've got to locate the voltage regulator. I may have questions about this. I don't understand what you mean by "jump these wires together". But, that may become clear once I see the VR.

The VR has one green wire at the top and two blue at the bottom. Can I get some clarification on step 4?
Thanks!

Sounds you have isolated it to being electrical. Good job. If more people around here listened, they'd have success like you have.

I am so thankful for all of you showing up and helping me!
I am excited that this car may finally run and be drivable.
I have been staring at this car for 5 months like a total baboon.

Every time I drove it, I was absolutely terrified it was going to stall out on me. I had to run red lights to avoid stopping and keep my foot hard on the gas at lights to keep from stalling.

I am so thankful for all of you showing up and helping me!
I am absolutely giddy with excitement that I am finally figuring this out.
I have been staring at this car for 5 months like a total baboon.

You've done well and actually listened, done what was recommended and reported back. More than most do that don't follow simple instructions and end up chasin their tail. Nice work. You'll get that thing fixed up in no time.

OK the early (pre 70) charging system is dead nuts simple You have power from the key, known slang as "ignition run" or IGN1 which goes through the bulkhead connector and supplies everything under the hood for engine run, ignition, power to the voltage regulator, the alternator field in 70/ later, electric choke in later years, etc etc

So the VR/ alternator field circuit is simple. The dark blue "run" line branches off to feed the VR IGN terminal. The VR MUST BE GROUNDED. The field terminal feeds the green wire which goes to the alternator field --through the field--and to ground. This countrols charging.

The alternator is grounded by bolted to the engine, and the output stud comes off--feeds (BIG BLACK) through the bulkhead connector, to the under-dash welded splice where it branches off to the fuse panel, the ignition switch, and the headlight switch----goes through the ammeter---comes out through the bulkhad connector on BIG RED---through the fuse link---to the big starter relay stud---and to the battery

Simplified diagram of power distro:

Catalog

View attachment 1715763397

Simplified diagram of the VR/ field:

View attachment 1715763398

SO-------------some simple tests:

I "sort of" divide the problem into 3 areas---

1.....The VR/ field circuit
2.....The output / ammeter circuit
3.....The major components, here mostly the alternator and VR

1...Disconnect the green field wire at alternator. Rig a jumper wire from that alternator terminal direct to the battery. If possible, get in subdued light and connect/ disconnect it and watch and listen for a small spark which will tell you the field is drawing current. Don't sweat that. Start engine with voltmeter connected direct to battery. Run RPM up simulating cruise RPM and see if battery voltage climbs at all.

2....If no change above, now you want to see if alternator is possibly "putting out" but maybe the charging wire circuit is open. So now move your voltmeter to the alternator output stud and re-run the test. If no output change, the alternator is not charging.

3....One thing you can do is to pull the alternator and remove and inspect brushes. Look for excessive grease/ mud/ other that would cause brush sticking, or severe brush wear or other problems that would prevent brush contact

If this test shows no charge, you either need to fix or replace alternator

===================================

If the above tests DID result in output to the battery, now we need to concentrate on VR and field wiring.

4..To check the wiring, reconnect the green field wire in tests above, and disconnect both wires at VR. Rig a way to jumper these wires together, which will do same thing as first test--that is "full field" alternator---except now we are using the complete harness. If the thing charges, that wiring is intact.

Next remove and inspect grounding on VR. Looseness, stripped bolts, rust, etc, clean around bolt holes remount tight with star lock washers. Reconnect VR and retest. If it will not charge, but did so in last test (4) when jumpered, then replace VR

Obviously if test (4) does not charge, but the earlier test (1,2) did, you have a wiring harness problem.

So step 4:

I think what you are telling me is that I need to disconnect the two blue (one is solid blue, other is blue with a white stripe) wires from the bottom and the green from the top. I then connect these wires together closing the circuit and removing the VR from the loop. If this works, then I know the wiring is good. Thus, likely issue with the VR.

If this doesn't work then there is an issue with the wiring. This would also mean we have not ruled out the VR as an issue.

Last edited:
So step 4:

I think what you are telling me is that I need to disconnect the two blue (one is solid blue, other is blue with a white stripe) wires from the bottom and the green from the top. I then connect these wires together closing the circuit and removing the VR from the loop. If this works, then I know the wiring is good. Thus, likely issue with the VR.

If this doesn't work then there is an issue with the wiring. This would also mean we have not ruled out the VR as an issue.

I just realized that the blue wires come together at a plug that connects to the VR. Going to short the wires together. Let's see.

The two blue should be connected normally. They are a branch on the same circuit. What you are doing is actually the same as you used the jumper except now you are using the car wiring, and simply jumpering around the VR. This will prove the VR wiring is intact and not shorted etc

98463867-F9A8-4507-B9B2-79F7FF06AFEC.png

This is what your electrical schematic looks like with the old style VR. On the regulator you should have a blue and a green. The blue should have 12volts with key on and the green is controlled voltage by the VR. hooking the blue and green together isolates the vr from the circuit. Do not connect any other wires together. Just the blue and green. Then start engine and check voltage at the battery.

The two blue should be connected normally. They are a branch on the same circuit. What you are doing is actually the same as you used the jumper except now you are using the car wiring, and simply jumpering around the VR. This will prove the VR wiring is intact and not shorted etc

Ok, So I conducted step 4.
At idle it reads 13.93
At cruise it read 15.61 +- 5.

This was tested with a dead battery. I had to jump it before I got these measurements.

Something I noticed from your photo is the rust on the firewall behind the VR. The VR grounds through the mounting bolts that attach it to the firewall. Regardless of the outcome of your testing you need to remove the VR and scrape/sand the mounting area on the firewall and the back of the VR to clean bare metal. Then re install it.

FA57798B-B92C-4C0D-950F-0965CF645754.png

At idle it reads 13.93

This was tested with a dead battery. I had to jump it before I got these measurements.
Sounds like you have a non functioning or bad VR. Do what I said above ^ and put everything back together and retest with everything hooked up normal.

At idle it reads 13.93

Just took measurements again after it has been running a bit. At cruise it read 17.25

-
Back