1970 duster project

-
here are some meats 22x10 with 28.7"tires by the way the cup holders are also chrome lol

and some pics of the front end going together

Attachments

• dusta wheels 017.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 694
  • dusta wheels 018.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 696
  • dusta wheels 010.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 667
  • dusta wheels 013.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 684
  • dusta wheels 015.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 697
Did you buy that car from the guy who owns/runs a chrome shop? No way he was paying customer rates for all that...

He said earlier in the thread, that there was allready 70,000 dollars inveseted, so maybe they DID pay reg rates. Dunno, but i know its the craziest shiny chrome I have ever seen.

to answer that question he was in the same profession that i am in and sometimes trading goods for work or bling for bling in this case works to our advantage sometimes. Paul the previous owner was a jeweler and he owned his own jewelry store so he traded the man who owns advanced plating a very large wedding ring and other items for all the chrome work this is whats funny i was thinking about his deal the other night and realized i had pretty much done the same thing. I am also a jeweler and own my own jewelry store once i bought the car from paul i traded an engagement ring and other jewelry items for the pearl orange paint job on the car just like the chrome trade. Even though it was invoiced for that much and thats what it would of cost trading was very benificial for both parties ive only seen that much chrome or bling lol.on a world of wheels car the main thing to remember here guys if mammas not happy nobodys going to be able to buy car parts. thats the moral to this story and i guarantee 90% of you will agree including me

very beautiful car, I would go with more rubber (sidewall) but not the centerlines as suggested, 18's would be my choice but it is not and your car wears the 20's nicely.

here are some meats 22x10 with 28.7"tires by the way the cup holders are also chrome lol

and some pics of the front end going together

Those are way better than the first choice of rims and tires.... looks good! Jesus! did the guy have his sack chromed also! lol

Hey Bob....... I have to agree, those big wheels look real good on that car, Brandon agrees too..lol......... After all Its going to be a work of art when its finished, not a everyday driver and race tracker.

Hello back at ya Denny, I was explaining to Bob here, about Indy when you and Dave took me in for the day......I knew nobody, I had no tent,
you guys flagged me down to park next to you ......
i was wearing jean and boots and I believe it was about 110 deg's not a cloud in the sky...saved me from a melt down...lol

i had the motor dynoed last wed and i picked it up sunday i had to loose the big willys carbs and go for stock hollys the had no real way to adjust them for the street so my engine builder says they are pretty much full out race versions the motor was very respectable 435 horse and 402 ft lbs of torque at 5800rpms and not beating on it all this after a break in period and he says very very responsive matter of fact he said next one he builds for himself with all the same stuff he tried to buy it from me and of course i said no it goes with the car. My buddy Paul Jacobs painted it and some other stuff today while i was at work so i could get the front end and motor trans in this weekend i plan on showing it off at the indy swap meet sat march 5&6th i will have more pics of the assembly tonight

yeh John...us A-body guys gotta stick together....you comin' to Columbus for the Nats'?...please join us

i think he is we talked about it yesterday we will be staying in heath where do you guys stay i heard brice road is kinda dangerous anymore crime rate is way up there we also talked about doing a couple of legs of the power tour nashville tn to indianapolis for shure

well here are a few pics got the motor together mostly and everything prepped to put together and mate to the car all looks great just sitting there should have it in the car tommorow

Attachments

• dusta motor 008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 567
  • dusta motor 006.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 564
  • dusta motor 004.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 579
  • dusta motor 002.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 559
  • dusta motor 011.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 563
  • dusta motor 014.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 580
wow looks great! I love it, and it looks like you keep your shop real clean to!

Actually its in my friends shop Paul Jacobs of Jacobs restorations he was kind enough to let me use it and his lift to get the motor and front end work done then back to my house. He does some of the best restorations in the country with many awards to back it up. oe gold like six or seven years in a row at the nats among others.yes he keeps it very clean

what's wrong man ??? I cant believe theres not a single chrome bolt on the torqueflight .....Seriously though, that car is truly a work of art. This build reminds me of one of all chromed out World of wheel show cars...simply incredible..great job

I showed this to my wife....she said i cant copy you.

Your K member, and tranny-is that base clear or powder coat? If its base clear, what did you add to the paint to help keep it from heating up and discoloring?

What are you gonna call it? Seems like when people make up a car like this they come up with some kinda cool name. Im having a brain fart right now...but Im gonna think of something.

i used base coat clear coat i used house of color tangelo pearl orange which is a tri coat color . White base, pearl orange then clear first of all house of colors paint are some of the best colors out there but there product is such a pain to use the first time we used thier white base then the orange it wrinkled up every where so we adjusted everything and it did the same and these are supposed to work together finally we just used bright white epoxy primer the the color and it worked perfectly so then the question i would not use thier clear so we used spies and hecker high solids high performance clear also high dollar they all but guaranteed it wont discolor with heat

well at this point i only bought the car to resell it and its for sale now so i would let the new owner name it ive had a few things in my head but dont really love them one of the last cars i built was a 1973 pro street cuda and i named it unruly thus the moniker i go by unrulyprocuda ive thought of (california duster) or (Excessive) because all the chrome but im still searching.a good way to find great names is a law book dictionary.Good luck with yours looks great and thats fine if you wanto copy anything all these cars have pretty much been done before one way or another

well worked all night the front end and motor is in its new home now i have to button it up:hello1:

Attachments

• dusta motor install 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 753
  • dusta motor install 019.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 748
  • dusta motor install 017.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 751
  • dusta motor install 013.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 731
  • dusta motor install 010.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 746
  • dusta motor install 008.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 757
  • dusta motor install 007.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 762
  • dusta motor install 005.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 753
  • dusta motor install 003.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 757
  • dusta motor install 020.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 749
I have a lot of questions...but then I remember your previous builds and realize you got it figured out already...so I've learned to "just stay tuned"

from all of us out here....thanks for the continuing pics and posts

Awesome........ Wish I could trade you our pole barn for it........ But Ronanne said she cannot get all her horses in there.......lol

Ill be getting with ya one day this week........ i have to see this again now that it is painted.

Denny nothing with car building is ever cut and dry something will always go wrong no matter how much you prepare and mock up changes will be made lucky for me whatever i do not know i have a book and one of the best car builders in the country to ask questions im shure you ran into alot of trial and error shoehorning a 426 hemi into a body duster like the header situation my headers just barely miss the inner fender well i could imagine what you went through. thanks i like posting pics and progress reports it gives inspiration to people like me in the winter when i all i want to do is be warm lazy and watch tv all night amazingly this project was started 20 years ago im just finishing it the way the previously owner should have his problem was his wife would only let him spend about 2,000 to 5,000 a year and that was it then he finally got rid of her and the new one made him sell it.

john i would almost trade for a pole barn but your right ronnanne would want to keep the horses in your bedroom or she could get rid of them also and have 435 horses instead wrapped by a orange duster

yeh....the challange is just part of the fun...kinda like when we was young and still dating....if they just gave in and laid down with their legs in the air....there'd be no sport to it.

wow that is sexy i love the clean look of the shaved firewall i plan on doing the same.

how hard is shaving a firewall???....as they say....That's a tuffy!!!

-
Back