1971 Dart Swinger

-
Well I haven't be able to work to much on the car because I've been tasked with assistance in putting the body panels back on a 31 Chevy.

_MG_4711.jpg

_MG_4820.jpg

I did get the fuel cell and welded the hole shut in the trunk floor in preparation for mounting the tank.

Needless to say it was a good experience in filling large gaps and welding from thick to thin metal.
When the frame off resto happens I will replace the whole panel with a flat sheet of metal.

_MG_4587.jpg

_MG_0390Large.jpg

_MG_4791.jpg

Also swapped the steering wheel over and test fitted it to make sure the steering wheel adapter worked and didn't set the wheel out to far.

_MG_4835.jpg

hey don't know if your interested or have one already or not, but I was about to list my Carb Bonnet on Ebay and thought of you...Asking $45 + shipping on it...fits a Holley Flange perfectly and comes with a rubber sealing gasket
let me know!

250rpartsforsale008.jpg

250rpartsforsale009.jpg

250rpartsforsale010.jpg

Thanks for the offer but I've got my eye on a Spectre hat.
8659849.jpg

How is your build coming along?

The pictures aren't the greatest but you should get an idea.
Here are the turbo headers almost finished. The only thing left to do is to cut the current flanges off the merge pipe and put a couple V band flanges on.

These truck headers I bought worked out amazingly well. My friend that welded them up didn't need any extra pipe. He just cut and moved what was there. I think they will work pretty damn good for the $140 I have into them.

_MG_4850Large.jpg

_MG_4847Large.jpg

_MG_4852Large.jpg

_MG_4844Large.jpg

AnotherA, can you try turning those headers around to see if they'll work? I have the same headers going into a 71 Demon, and would like to see how much damage I'll have to cause to get them in. Thanks!

You will probably have to redo some piping to get it to work.

Just compiled a spreadsheet of all my fuel system parts.
Its amazing how fast little $8 parts add up.

Fuelsystemcost.jpg

We got a little further today.

Mocked up most of the host side. There are 3 vband clamps and a flex pipe that will be installed.
Turbopipemockup.jpg

Weldingmergepipe.jpg

We finished the piping and mounted the turbo last night. :supz:

Going to have the X02 50mm gate come off the pip just below the flange and then route it right back up into the 3 inch down pipe.

After getting it mounted the turbo looks extremely small...
But all the calculations say it should work just fine. The only issue i can potentially see is having to upgrade the exhaust housing from a .68 to a .96 so it doesn't build boost until later in the rpms so I can do 70mph down the freeway without being in boost.

Time will tell, now on with the pics.

headerpipedone.jpg

headerpipedone2.jpg

P4210057Large.jpg

P4210052Large.jpg

Few updates.

Bought a 360 out of a 1991 ramcharger. Should make for a nice 42 cubic inch upgrade with a roller valve train!
IMG_0346.jpg

95% of the fuel system has been run.
A new Holley HP main body is on its way along with the rest of the stuff to convert my carb for blow through.

Mounted the FPR, the angle iron is kind of fugly but it does the job.
-10AN lines are a big PITA to route.

mountedregulator.jpg

mountedregulator2.jpg

Ah, nice.

just checking this site out a lot lately as my goal is to have my 71 duster ready for paint by the end of the month.

same millerboy as some other mn forums.

Be sure to take care of the rust issues. The rust behind the qtr panels is usually more then meets the eye. I just had a couple of nickel sized hole on the exterior. What I found after cutting was totally different. Good luck: Howard

Qtr Pnl.jpg

Its going to get new quarters, fender patch panels and trunk floor when I get to the body working stage.

More parts today. Time to start building the carb.

IMG_0248.jpg

I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I took the dremel out and used some polish to clean it up a bit.
IMG_0236.jpg

After
IMG_0261.jpg

Couple of questions?

Do you have a part number for those headers? I have a set of Pacesetters that are for a Dakota and I was thinking of using them for a turbo setup. The driver side fits perfect, but the passenger side needs the #2 cyl primary modified. Looks like I would have to actually cut a slab off the 4 to 1 collector where that primary ties in. Is this what you did?

Also, where is your altenator going? Drivers side lower? This may have been asked already, I was reading fast.

Thanks and cool build. Good luck. I hope to be there some day on my 416!

Alternator will be mounted high on the drivers side.

Part number for the headers.
SUM-G9044 SHORTY SMOG-LEGAL HEADER $149.95

Apoxy primed the cluster and ripped the single barrel carb and heavy dang stock intake off.
Its getting replaced with a Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake and a 750 CFM Holley 4150 carb..
I'm not sure the 318 will like the 750 but the 360 will.

IMG_0382copy.jpg

Now you can't see my nasty welds.

NICE buildup.... I'm young (26), so I'm hoping some day to turbo out my Duster... In the mean time, keep up the good work! You are inspiring us all!:rock:

Figured it was time for an update.

Hot side is done for the most part. Just have to run the exhaust under the car now.

Moved the alternator,installed the edelbrock intake, installed the tranny cooler, finished the oil feed and return on the turbo and a friend got the rest of the pipes welded up and the waste gate mounted.

HotSideComplete.jpg

this looks like a good build, I've never looked at too much of this turbo stuff on gas engines before (I work on a farm so almost all of the equipment has turbos). It'll be interesting to see the rest of the build.

Also, you take great pictures, its obvious that it is your other hobby.

-
Back