1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
I didn't get done today what I wanted to get done today, but I made use of the time I had. Did a lot of researching, organizing, and some bracket building done today. I did notice that the lower pinch weld was blacked out on both sides. My guess is that this was done at the same time as my inner fenders, as seen through the wheel opening, were sprayed too. I also confirmed that the underside was black, how much and how far is still under investigation. Under the gas tank was definately black, with drips and runs evident. I also uncovered a sideways "A" on the rearend. I can't wait to get the car up on the rotisserie so I can see what else can be uncovered on this LA built Duster.

FWIW, LA built cars have some very different details from other plants.

I also found one last bit of rust that needs to be fixed...disgust

Attachments

• Lowerblackout.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,509
  • Rearblk.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Cowl.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,495
Yesterday I go the motor and trans out, and finished fabbing up my rotisserie mounts. Today I got it mounted on the front and rear mounts of the rotisserie. I need to pull the rear end and springs out before I can spin it.

I got the driveline out and on the dolly. I knew my matching VIN wasn't stamped real well on the trans but was not too happy to see this...:wack:
At least the motor one was nice and clear.:D

Attachments

• Trans#.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Outt.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,468
Sorry i haven't update this in awhile. Been busy getting it off to the paint shop. I got it all disassembled for the media blaster. I also was able to uncover some inspection/ assembly marks and codes. Heres what I found on the rear end, the pumpkin, and the trans.

Attachments

• rearund.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 834und.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,398
  • ABrr.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,395
  • 71trans.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,410
I was finally able to fabricate the rotisserie brackets and get it mounted. Then it was time to pressure wash it top to bottom. Then I loaded it on the trailer and took it to the media blaster....

Attachments

• Rotis1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,384
  • Rotis2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,364
  • rotis3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,363
And a month later I picked it up!!! All naked and ready for paint. After vacuuming and blowing out all the media I took to the painters last week.

Attachments

• Dusterblast2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Dusterpassblst.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Yesterday I got the gauges all ready to go back in. I cleaned them, tested them, and repainted the needles.

Attachments

• gauge.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,365
Very clean not that much rust, your doing a nice job, by the way what's up with that stamping can't make heads nor tails out of that.

is that trans out of a 69 model year car, by the numbers?

No its the original trans, decodes as Sept 70. Somebody really F'd up with the pneumatic stamper for sure. You can kinda make out the 115059. I knew it was fragged when I bought but it wasn't a deal breaker to me. I love the car regardless! I'm leaving it as is and won't restamp it.

probably stamped on monday am after smokin' breakfast (1970) :D

Latest updates.
I got the the tip hangers redone, which consisted of bead blasting and then coated with RPM.

I got the filler tube and the ECS tube cleaned up. I may leave them as is or I may have them redone, we'll see.

Today I picked up a few gallons of Evaporust to soak the leaf springs and control arms in. I have the pinion snubber soaking in there right now as the test part.
I also dropped off the last of the parts at the powdercoaters, by new years I should have a lot of shiny parts to start putting back together..:toothy7::toothy7:

Attachments

• Tubes.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 6959151-tipsdone.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 6959144-Tipsb4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,192
Last night I was able to get my exhaust manifolds painted with Por15. I used the laundry room closet as a drying room as my garage is not heated and it was in the 20's last night. With the door closed and the fan on the fumes stay in the laundry room.

This morning I got the shackles refinished. They were pretty crusty to start with. I bead blasted them, polished lightly with steel wool, then used gun bluing on the studs, and finally coated them with RPM. I'll be refinishing the nuts once the kit arrives.

I also got all the rear brackets done today. All cleaned up and coated with RPM.:D

Attachments

• manifolds.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,200
  • Hagers.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,179
  • Dnhangers.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Donbrkts.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,186
Time for an Update. Since the last post I've been pretty busy getting all the parts restored and getting the body ready for paint.
I got the leaf springs all refinished. I had the leaves blasted, rubbed them partially smooth with steel wool, coated them with gun bluing liquid, and then with RPM for the final finish. I reassembled them with new clamps, pads, replated hardware and new bushings. Then a swipe of orange paint to duplicate what I found on disassembly.

Attachments

• Springb4.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Springdn.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,167
I continued soaking part in Evaporust. Man is that stuff cool, drop it in crusty and pull it out clean in a day or two. I redid the pedal assy, starter splash shield, etc

I also got all my powdercoated parts back. I'm still working on assembling that stuff. Chrome is month late, still waiting for their call...:angry1:

Attachments

• Shield.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Shiled.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • Pedals.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Pedalb4.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,133
The body is almost ready for paint. The hood was oil canned pretty good from somebody sitting or walking on the hood. So it made the decision to add the scoops that much easier. Personally I feel like they should have come on the 340 cars. They will be body color. I was able to get the pedal assy and the t bar adjuster replated this week. It should be painted in the next few weeks. I'm really excited!!:wav:

Attachments

• Scoops.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Dusternkd2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • Dusternkd.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Tbar.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,126
Looking good, love see those paint codes and stencils on the rear end and trans. None found on the underside of the body?

Demon,
What did you use to clean up the parts without destroying the paint and chalk markings? It worked really well! L8r

I used Evaporust. You can buy it through Summit, Harbor Freight, Autozone, etc. Neat stuff. Submerge your parts for a day or two and out comes a rustfree part.

-
Back