1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
I've been busy but don't have a lot to show for it. I have got restored parts waiting to go back on the car from one end of my garage to the other:glasses7: The Duster has etch and epoxy primer on it now! :cheers: The pics aren't the best, sorry. Its an LA built car which is why the underside is black (to mimic the factory black dip primer). The car is super straight. My friend spent a lot of time crisping up body lines and making sure the car was arrow straight before priming. I had second thoughts about painting it black after seeing how amazingly straight it was....but I had to stick with the original red. Should be painted this week, finally!. :prayer:

I've gotten the driveshaft all finished. Picked up the motor from the machine shop and should have it painted (outside) and detailed in the next week or two depending on the weather...damn wind & dust :wack: I'll have a lot more to post once I get it back home.

Attachments

• Dster1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Dsterr2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Dstrrts.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • reargear.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Latches.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,069
The Duster finally has some paint on it! It looks somewhat orange in these pics, but in the regular light its RED!! Its still needs some buffing in some of these pics but its looking really good. My little helper really likes the red, "its pretty" she says. I also have been making progress on the engine detailing, until I F'd up the bypass hose.:banghead::D

Attachments

• 340.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dusterfrt5.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Dusterside4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Dusterside3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Dustertrunk2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Duster1flr.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,023
Thanks! I can't wait to get it out in the sun to see it! Putting the stripes on may be the first thing on my list!

Your attention to detail will definatley be award winning and is top notch...nice job.\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

Dude! You ain't gonna believe this....but there's a guy on Moparts building a car identical to yours! Same color....same wheels...everything! :tongue5: :D

Dude! You ain't gonna believe this....but there's a guy on Moparts building a car identical to yours! Same color....same wheels...everything! :tongue5: :D

Theres probally several, I mean it is a FE5 Duster....very popular, like Hemi Orange. But with all the details it will be hard to beat.

Thanks! I know the stock resto is the boring route, but its going to be a baseline so to speak. The car is so original that it was easy to reuse a lot of the original parts. I plan to drive it more than show it. I want to do some autocross and on track driving as it is. Then it will be suspension upgrades followed by driveline upgrades.

Thanks! I know the stock resto is the boring route, but its going to be a baseline so to speak. The car is so original that it was easy to reuse a lot of the original parts. I plan to drive it more than show it. I want to do some autocross and on track driving as it is. Then it will be suspension upgrades followed by driveline upgrades.
If thats the case, I'd ditch the stock axle and get yourself a new set of axle that will allow for the 11" drums on the back. Even if you show the car, most would never be able to tell the diff unless they actually measure them. Same with the front, 73+ with the 11.75 rotor. Just a thought and a DAMN fine job you're doing on the car :burnout:

There is almost a twin of my car that member on Moparts has, he posted in my build thread on there. My car has some unusual options that made it fairly expensive car when it was new. It was ordered as a showroom model by the dealership. The original owner told me it was "Direct Connection Package car" and that only a couple were sold per region. It had special cylinder heads, curved distributor, etc. I didn't have the heart to tell him it must have been a dealership ploy to sell it for more than sticker. Regardless its only missing the painted racing mirrors, buckets, and the V24 option wise.

If thats the case, I'd ditch the stock axle and get yourself a new set of axle that will allow for the 11" drums on the back. Even if you show the car, most would never be able to tell the diff unless they actually measure them. Same with the front, 73+ with the 11.75 rotor. Just a thought and a DAMN fine job you're doing on the car :burnout:

Thanks. Sitting on the side of my house is a complete 74 Dart disc brake front end and a 67 B body 8 3/4 with brakes.:D

Finally got the Duster home. Its still needs the fenders,trunk, and engine compartment buffed out. Till those get buffed out I have to find other areas to reassemble. I may start on the grille. Heres an underside shot to show the LA black primer look.

Attachments

• Duster2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 964
  • Duster3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 944
  • Duster4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 952
  • Duster6.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 946
Some of us don't think a stock resto is boring! The attention to detail on all the parts is amazing. This is one I would love to see in person.

Grant

Looking great, Love the details and Im glad to see and A body getting a stock resto !

I got all the Dynamat done and the drivers side vent box installed.

Attachments

• Floor.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 895
  • Roof.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 888
Today I was able to get some little things done. I installed the dual exhaust bracket, tip hangers, brake hose bracket, pedal assy, dome light wiring, fender splash shields, axle bump stops and the k frame bolts. I got my tie rod sleeves into the evaporust which revealed some yellow paint on one end of each assy. I also cleaned some of the buffing compound off of a few areas, It felt good to take parts out of the "ready to be installed" totes and throw away some empty bags.

Stumbling around a bit this morning. Read your build. You've got a hell of a nice car there. I'll keep checking this one out. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Thanks Thundr!

Time for an update. So far I've gotten the tail end assembled and the stripe put on. I got the gas tank, fuel and brake lines installed too. I was able to get the carpet back in it and the headliner partially installed, still needs to be glued and trimmed. I was bale to get the new vinyl top out of the box and out in the sun to get rid of the wrinkles, The headliner and vinyl top came with the car and have been in a box for the last 10 yrs.:glasses7: I've also gotten the bellhousing cleaned up and ready to go back together. Today its getting wetsanded and buffed. Next on the list is the sidestripes, headliner, vinyl top and grille. I'll probably finish the tie rod assy today.:hello1:

Attachments

• Garagepile.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 817
  • Gooday.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 809
  • Fineass.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 808
  • Westand.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 816
-
Back