1971 Duster 340, 4spd, FE5/blk resto, "ruster" to Duster!

-
Glad to hear she's running. You gotta be happy with that. Good work.:coffee2:

I've been following your build closely. I can't imagine how exciting it is to fire her up for the first time. I just started to disassemble my 1970 FE5 Duster 340 that was my first car at age 16 in 1979. I can't wait to her her run again!
What weather stripping/ window seals did you use on your car? I've her mixed reviews about fit and function of the new products and would like your feedback on the issue.

Thanks guys!
FJRdoc, did you post about your car (with pics) a couple of years ago? I 'm pretty sure I remember that one. Thats awesome you hung on to it this long. Well worth restoring IMO. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I used the Metro supersoft seals. They seem to be fine no major fitment issues. I still have my original seals so I can compare the two if needed,
I got the side windows in today and the doors all put back together (panels, pads, ect). The glass company got the wrong glass....:( So the windshield will be next week.

You have a good memory. That was my post the other year. Finally got the car over to my house and I have it pretty much stripped down. Just have to drop the K-member and get the engine and automatic tranny out. Your Duster is optioned out more than mine but I kinda like the sparse high-performance idea.
Have you noticed any problems with difficulty shutting your doors with the Metro seals? Some people talk about saving the originals but mine were to far gone.
I may pick your brain from time to time as my project gets rolling along. Thanks.

FJRDoc, feel free to ask any questions, I'll be more than glad to help get that duster back on the road!!

Well boys and girls, IT'S DONE!!! 2 years ago to the day I brought my Duster home from Escondido. I really wanted to buy a 70 Swinger 340 at the time but I couldn't pass up this Duster with its matching #'s, good color, and all the right options. I'm glad i did. I look at that car and it is the epitomy of A body muscle, short of a Hemi Dart. I spent a lot of time and $ on here buying parts and asking questions. Thanks to all the FABO members that helped me along the way!! Theres some little things that need to be done, but its at the point where I can drive it now. The final alignment is done and gas is in the tank. It runs and drives nice, no where near the beast my 512 69 RR was though. I don't have any plans yet, other than to attend MATS or Spring Fling and get it into some magazines. I'll update it from time to time.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 730
  • photo-6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 677
  • photo-5.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 676
  • photo-4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 676
  • photo-3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 700
  • photo-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 691
  • photo-1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 722
  • photo-10.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 701
More pics.

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 664
  • photo-8.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 669
  • photo-9.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 653
  • bare.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 695
Thanks! No that one is for my Demon. Looks like your Dart is coming along nicely. I'm always watching for your updates.

Oh cool. You really did a super job. Be proud...

Yeah waiting for my garage to be finished and then I will get going on it again. Gathered some more parts but that is it really. It sits under a car cover right now...

Right choice on not painting scoops black. You're right Dusters should have had the scoops from the factory.

Very very nice! You have done a wonderful job. The attention to detail is amazing. :prayer: Congratulations and I'm glad to hear you are going to drive it. Too nice to be a trailer queen.

Thanks all! It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end. The only "options/extras" that I added were the scoops and the tuff wheel. Everything else is all factory per the fender tag. I had almost considered not putting the vinyl top back on, cause it looked so good all red, but the top really breaks up the red and goes with the stripes and wing. The hood was pretty bad from someone sitting it, so the scoops actually cover a bad spot on the hood. I do plan to get a flat hood for it eventually.

BEAUTIFUL!! car! Nice restoration with so much attention to detail. Was hoping to have mine finished for the Tubac car show, but alas, a faulty transmission kept me from attending! Looking forward to seeing your car in some magazines! Ben.

This Duster is top notch...seriously give yourself a pat on the shoulder..good job :thumbrig:

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun. Having the right car to start with made it easier for sure. I'm not going to be concerned about originality on my 72 Demon 340, thats gonna be a fun/go fast car :)

Your car is tough, absolutely as I remember them on the show room floor in my senior year of HS. I love it and know that you must be very proud! Thanks for the great thread.

-
Back