1971 Scamp limited....

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I picked up a 1971 Scamp. The fellow told me it sat for 20 years behind a Quonset and then the last 6 or so out in the open. The registration papers I found in it indicate the last time it was on the road was 1987. I have determined this to be a rather unique Scamp. It was an ordered car according to the build sheet. It has very few options. But what it has makes it cool in my opinion. It was ordered with a 318, 904 and an 8 3/4" diff. Then they put in a console and bucket seats which is the unique part. Basically the rest is a typical Scamp setup. Manual drums all around and manual steering as well. It does have chrome wheel well moldings, drip rails and a white trim stripe. And that is about it. I am going to get this running asap, and slowly repair the quarters, fenders and drivers rocker. The trunk is beautiful and the floorboards are unbelievable. I will fix the floor in the next few days and get the interior back in. All the repairs are patchable, but I happen to have a set of repair quarters, so I will probably replace those. Here are some pics of the starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,543
  • IMG_0719.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,501
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,518
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,485
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,542
Here is the rust in the trunk and floors. As you can see this thing is unbelievable for how long it sat. Tom (Dartnut) and I tore out the interior today and we were fairly surprised to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_0763.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,440
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,435
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,432
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,440
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,465
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,480
  • IMG_0751.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 1,472
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,470
Pretty cool, never seen one with buckets from the factory. Is that steering wheel orange? That could probably be worth a little something for someone with that rare orange interior. Nice find btw.

Pretty cool, never seen one with buckets from the factory. Is that steering wheel orange? That could probably be worth a little something for someone with that rare orange interior. Nice find btw.

Thanx. I was questioning it the whole time I was waiting to go pick it up! The wheel is kinda tan. I thought and I think Ranidart mentioned that it wasn't right with the Dodge emblem and two tone, but I found a 1972 with the same type. Two tone, green and black, Dodge emblem as well. It could be coincidence.....
http://www.allcollectorcars.com/1972-plymouth-scamp-vialiant-for-sale-c-75834.htm?did=184&

Bucket seat and console were factory options for the scamp, just few ordered though.

Today I cleaned up the console and some of the interior pieces. I took the carpet and seat belts to the car wash and hosed them down. They look pretty good considering the condition in which they started out. Fairly faded but solid. I will try to find a dye that I can use on the carpet for now and eventually replace it with new.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,344
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,377
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,335
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,399
After inspecting the floor, I have decided to cut and patch four spots. Two on each side both the same spots. Fairly easy patches, but I need to practice on my welding! Not terrible, but it will improve. :D The rest is good and I put por-15 on the light surface rusted areas.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,340
Looks like a real nice find there, I'm subscribed.

Boy somewhere they have a lot of snow. Looks like it's near me!!

Nice score George! Looks like the garage is getting some good use. Good luck on the build.

I finished the patches and am now ready to put the interior back in. I am going to lay Dyna mat instead of insulation. Before I install the interior though, I have to repair the strikers. This is easier with the rear panels removed for access to the back of the strikers. Then it's on to the electrical and mechanical.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,246
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,292
Nice score George! Looks like the garage is getting some good use. Good luck on the build.

Thanx Mike. Yes it's getting busy in there! Gonna get this driving and then..........well I'm not sure. The 340 Duster I picked up with this one is a lot less work than the Demon..... Could be done a lot quicker......decisions, decisions! :banghead:

I have a product alot cheaper then Dinomat and does the same. Let me know if I can help.

Looks good George! Does the POR 15 come in a spray can or did you have to run it through a gun? Those belts are in better shape than mine were! I had to get mine all re-done with new webbing. Glad you started a resto thread on the Scamp! Suscribed!!

Thanx all. I am quite excited about it. :D I had a feeling from the moment I saw it that it must be rather unique. It is in good enough condition that I should be driving it by summertime. The motor is dry seized from sitting, but if I cant break it free I have another (73) 318 to use. I haven't looked at any numbers yet, not that they really matter, but I kinda think they will be matching.
Today I worked on some electrical. The tail lights were intermittent, bad grounding, fixed. The front is on the agenda for tonight. My front markers are broken, but I may be able to repair them. I may be looking for a couple if I can't.
Andy, I just used a brush for the Por 15. I bought a case of small cans a while back. I don't know if you can get it in a spray can, but you can spray it. BUT clean up is a *****! Do not, I repeat, do not get it on you. It only comes off with time and wear. How do I know......:banghead:
OK, back out to the shop...........:cheers:

Well I got all the exterior lighting to light in driving mode only including brake lights. Everything was corroded and required scraping, sanding and cleaning. Grounding is definitely the major factor in lighting in these cars. I am going to need new front marker assemblies though. The lenses are good but the housings are broken. I may be able to make one from the two but will definitely need the passenger side. I have not been able to get signals or hazards yet. Been reading up and will try the flashers first. All the wiring on this car is exceptional and uncut. I will still however check the leads from the column to ensure proper power is coming out. I did change a couple bulbs in the dash and they work so I think it should be a breeze to get it lit up. Even the dimmer, park brake light and bright light switch are working fine. :D

Well I now know that with contortionist moves you can change every bulb in the dash excluding the right signal which was not burnt out. Thank God, because I'm not sure I could have got that one! :D So all the dash is lit up, all the markers work and the hazards flash. I haven't got the signals working though. :banghead: I put in a good flasher and have power to it. I don't know why they won't flash
4-dontknow.gif
so I will ask in the electrical section. I know it has been asked already, but again won't hurt!
The heater switch has power in both low and high, but the motor doesn't turn. I have another blower which I will test and hopefully be able to switch out for.
I also only have an interior light when the passenger door opens. It does not light by the switch or the drivers door. The horn also doesn't work yet.
The engine is probably not going to spin so I think I will try my spare. This will give me an excuse to drop the k member and put in the disc brake setup from my Demon. I am switching it to big bolt pattern and spool mounts, so it is a spare now. It has Kelsey Hayes brakes and I have new calipers and pads with it, so this is a good thing.
Ok over to the electrical section for research now.........:cheers:

Today I have changed out the blower motor for the heater. It works fine! :D I also took off and cleaned the visors. They were pretty mouse filthy. I found this on the passenger side. It's a trip and maintenance record. Kinda cool, haven't seen one of these before. I think I will keep it in the car. I also removed the headliner, again mice. :banghead: Oh well I guess I will learn how to install one, may be a chore. Next drop the k member and change out the engine. Oh ya I think my signal switch is screwed, so I gotta pull the wheel and have a look.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,097
Tonight I dropped the k member with engine and trans. Amazingly all the bolts actually came out easy, with the exception of one. I used my gantry this time. When I did the Demon I used an engine hoist. Both worked fine, but I like the gantry better. I lifted by the bumper and when it was lowered to the dolly I still had room for the impact. I left the torsion bars in and drove them out from behind once everything was free. It worked very well and they came out easy. The engine is number matched but the trans is not. No matter, they are both going to the side for now. Gonna be a busy weekend , but I want to have it reassembled and hopefully fired up right away. The brakes will take me the longest as I have to redo the lines and convert to Kelsey Hayes which requires extra lines at the calipers. I also need to get a different master cylinder for the discs. Enough for one day though, I'm happy with my progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,085
  • IMG_0811.JPG