1972 Dart LS swap

-
It is it's either going to be teched in at the strip or judged at a show. Most mopar events don't allow it.

Its your car put what you want in it but ,pretty easy to pitch a magnum in or a 318 LA or 360 these are pretty easy to find ,but hey good luck either way you started of with a Mopar body so your on the right track

But the mopar 318 or 360 or magnum don’t hold a candle to the LS in terms of mpg, affordable hop ups , bank for the buck, or technology. Read up on it. Plus greatly improves handling and braking if it’s aluminum.

There's actually a low buck 360 mag build that makes over 400 hp I seen it in a magazine article don't recall which one. Then you don't have to chase around parts and fabricate stuff to fit.

Well when they provide parts list and dyno sheets it' pretty believable. Everyone jumps on the ls bandwagon because they think they can' afford to build a mopar engine. Magnum 360s are affrdable and still plentiful and can be built to make some hp fairly cheap.

True and I agree 100% with you. But it won’t make as much power or be as inexpensive as the LS. I’m lookin into doin a mopar 400 so it would rev like the LS and make similar power. Not a 451 though.

Welcome aboard. I think builds like this are great. It is what hot rodding is all about.

And it's funny, the Chevy forums welcome stuff like this. Doesn't bother them a bit to see a Mopar with a Chevy engine. Mopar guys are snobs.
It did bother them when someone put a Toyota engine in a mint 1967 RS/SS Camaro. You shoulda heard the crying.

Well when they provide parts list and dyno sheets it' pretty believable. Everyone jumps on the ls bandwagon because they think they can' afford to build a mopar engine. Magnum 360s are affrdable and still plentiful and can be built to make some hp fairly cheap.

Regardless of the motor, don't believe every dyno sheet you see, especially ones in magazine articles.

I don't care if a LS swap makes 2000 HP and gets 50 mpg, in my old school mind, it's a gay swap in a mopar. Now put it in some 69 camaro, then that's pretty cool. Or as cool as a 69 camaro can be, since there are about 200 at ever show I attend...

I'm not going to argue back and forth with you because you think a magazine article is false. I've had and built small block mopar engines cheaper than what it would cost to swap a junkyard ls into a mopar. Im going to take a stab and say you have to buy complete engines ready to drop in and go is why you think it's a better route and cheaper to go ls.

Might sell the car and buy a Chevy and google Chevy forums. Probably find more help that way. A magnum swap with a few upgrades might surprise a few LS cars. Don’t ruin a Dart with some fad engine swap.

360 or 408 can’t do it and retain good drive ability or mpg’s. Other wise other folks would be swapping them too. Remember it’s not mopar anymore... it’s fiat and Mercedes owned.

Guys usually don't build an old car and worry about mpg. And you can easily retain good driveability with a 408. You don't have to run a high stall converter and huge cam in it. I have a pretty radical 408 that runs mid 10s on 93 octane pump gas and I can drive it whenever. I have a 410 thats got a smaller cam and converter and some worked over j heads that's does great on the street. I'm just saying it can be done. If driveability and mpg is a main issue run an overdrive transmission and a highway gear.

Lots of people are building cars these days for drivability and mpg.

Don’t like the ls swap then don’t open the thread. It’s a good proven swap and cost effective as far as modern engines go.

I have a magnum swapped duster (finished) and a 5.7 LS swapped satellite project. For 400 hp range the magnum is just as good and dare I say cheaper than the LS. The reasons I chose LS on the satellite were the following: all aluminum engine is considerably lighter and I really wanted a seamless fuel injection system that wouldn’t break the bank. The only magnum swap harnesses I could find were $800+dollars, then you need to spend another $900 on a good mpfi intake setup. That and I’m much less informed about trying to tune the stock dodge computer. Both good swaps IMO.

I have a magnum swapped duster (finished) and a 5.7 LS swapped satellite project. For 400 hp range the magnum is just as good and dare I say cheaper than the LS. The reasons I chose LS on the satellite were the following: all aluminum engine is considerably lighter and I really wanted a seamless fuel injection system that wouldn’t break the bank. The only magnum swap harnesses I could find were $800+dollars, then you need to spend another $900 on a good mpfi intake setup. That and I’m much less informed about trying to tune the stock dodge computer. Both good swaps IMO.
Cost of the harness and other mopar swaps in general is the bigger expense. Also a lot less expensive to build up the LS. When you can swap in an engine that gets better mpg,better drive ability,less expensive to make power, out run a bigblock,and get better handling to.... almost a no brainer. I swapped a Jeep to an LS. Not that expensive, went to carb and ran great!

-
Back