1972 Demon Build

-
Mounted front suspension back in its home. Going to take Wilwood drag brake parts off and replace with stock discs. Rear out for rebuild. 11 inch drum parts going on. Doors need some work and a patch on leading edges. Repaired rear window gutters. Ever bit of mud has been located, cut out, and replaced with metal. Car will get cleaned underneath, coated, and then black paint. Interior will see same on floor. Should be in primer by the end of the month. Got the spring relocation kit from US car tool to install and subframe connectors will go in as well. The stripes are marked special order color Tex Red. Dash is apart for paint prep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 345
Good work. Been following close. My '72 Demon is in primer right now.
You're giving me inspiration!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 283
Every now and again I get pissed. Money I set aside to finish this car just went to taxes. Nothing like writing a check for $6000. I had hoped to finish the car before I deployed. Nothappening now for sure. Ugggh. I was going after the 72 Duster stick car while I was gone. I hate letting things sit. Can sell all kinds of stuff just wasn't my plan.

Every now and again I get pissed. Money I set aside to finish this car just went to taxes. Nothing like writing a check for $6000. I had hoped to finish the car before I deployed. Nothappening now for sure. Ugggh. I was going after the 72 Duster stick car while I was gone. I hate letting things sit. Can sell all kinds of stuff just wasn't my plan.

Damn....Where is deployment?
Don't give up man, you're not far away.

Wally.

Well they have been here 40+ years, they can wait a little bit longer. Do what you can, then get home and finish the rest!

Thank you for the support. My buddy has been gracious enough to let me take over one of his bays at his shop. It is his livelihood and as long as my car is sitting there he can't take on another job. Between my 72 and this car I have taken up some serious real estate in his garage. He has been hustling the car along when I can't get there to do any work. Car will have all metal work done and be sealed inside and out in primer by the end of the month as a roller again..I hope. If he can move it around it won't be such a nuisance.

Ok. Been out of town training. Just ran up a **** ton of labor on this car. Stroker motor needs to sell in order to get it finished. All new front brakes in place, rear end rebuild with spring relocation. Rear 11 inch brakes in place. All new brake lines from front to back with roller status. All bodywork nearly complete. All rust gone with metal replacement. Now just minor filler to imperfections. I have another 8 days before I am home to see the progress.

More pics to come. Removed any and everything that even smelled of rust and replaced it. Still needs some smoothing in rear wells. Spring relocation done. 11 inch rear drums in with stock front brakes in place. I pulled the Wilwood drag brake hardware off along with the .810 drag torsion bars. New brake lines from front to rear. Master cylinder ordered. Roller wheels to go on until I decide wheels.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Super productive day on the car. Completed dash disassembly, took bumper brackets off, sand blasted, and primed them. Thought I had a new rear bumper, nope. Need one of those. Gasket set from DMT came. Waiting on gas tank pad then will install fuel system from rear to front. Wire wheel work on the firewall underway then I will start paint. A car is occupying the lift bay for the next two weeks then I will roll it over there get it up in the air and make the underside spotless. I gave the 408/904 a month to sell and nothing so it goes in the car and I will need to slow it down.

Made my own frame stiffeners and welded into place. Found some more rust in driver's rocker near rear wheel. There is almost no metal we did not address. This will be easier to address up on the lift and when I get after wire wheeling the whole underside of car and sanding. The dash and column are out and getting those suckers ready for paint is going to take me a **** ton of effort. I can tell you how many hours I have in this sucker at this point. Car has full brakes front and rear plumbed and working. Once I get it clean underneath and cut in engine bay I will drop in motor and call it a runner.

DSC_0124.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

Carpet came in for red interior. Will match to Door panels etc. second photo is of special order stripes. Side is marked Tex red. The search begins.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Found paint that's pretty damn close to red stripe. Had my son shoot paint on all the bumper brackets. He also cleaned dash wiring and prepped dash for paint. Bumper bolt kit came in from Mr. Gs. Going after firewall prep next week. Need to order front and rear gaskets and front and rear trim clips. Getting there.

Moving along nicely it sounds like. When you can you should show the color of red you picked.

The red for the interior is there in the carpet shot. The car is going to be bright white. I bought a set of old special order stripes....had to color match those for some work on the grill. Almost done with it. Have a million hours in this car at this point...lol

So white with red stripes and red and white interior

Last edited:
Thanks, I am wracking my brain on how I could have gotten some blue in there maybe a 1/4 inch pinstripe above the red stripe and 408 in blue?

Are you using the 72 stripe or going with another style?

Like the 73-74 duster call out style have a large strip with a smaller pin stripe underneath, I think that would be cool to do the red in the large then the pin stripe in a blue.

The stripes I picked up are NOS custom order Red stripes for a Demon, no call out. Just side stripes and tail panel. I have to finish painting the grill, sand and paint interior metal panels, finish sanding the firewall. The lift is open this week so the car goes up for underside sanding and undercoat. One more metal patch on rocker and we are done. Then I will start to paint. Of course after a million hours of sanding.

-
Back