1972 Dodge Demon 340 SunRoof car

-
That is a pretty rare car, and the V3X confirms the roof. Is the original engine or trans still with it? Thats the 3rd 340 EV2 roll back roof Demon that I know of. Hopefully its not too rusty and the price is reasonable. I'm definately interested.

Keep us posted on what you come up with as I am sure someone will want it if its a decent price. Heck I might even be interested.......LOL
Matt

Likely stuff from the tag

B34 = D34
PX9 = TX9
16 = C16
366 = C56
J64 = J54
3V21 = V21

If I knew this was going to be a possible for sale deal, I would have asked about it in my first response.

i would guess that is correct Rob
TX9: Top Color=Black
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C56: Bucket Seats
V21: Performance Hood Treatment
J54: Sport Hood

I'm waiting on pics of fender tag, build sheet and more of the car. The codes that were corrected are right on the car. He couldnt see and the guy is a ford guy. He was upset that he traded a built up 5.0 for the car.

I'm waiting build sheet and more pics before I say yes or not and I did get a price and he will deliever the car to me.

The problems that I know of the car are as follows.

Tail panel- Right tail light area has rust.

Trunk pan- Needs replaced

Quarter panels- Both have rust in them

Interior pans- Right rear area needs replaced or patched

Fenders are good on the car, hood is good as well along with the grill. I did send an email asking if the roof and back window have rust in it or any where else with it being a convertiable top.

My problem is the metal work and I have no clue about getting the work done since its not something I can do or well no longer can do.

The deal I have on the 71 Road Runner has all the metal work done and ready for sanding, paint and interior work for $4600.00

Give me till 6pm my time (east cost time) and I will pm the guy on here that asked about it first and then I will post it to the second guy an hour after that. I promised the other guy I would give him first shot at it and I like to keep my word. I will also give you his bottom dollar price.

What would this car be worth in the condition it is in right now?

Its worth what someones willing to pay. Does he have # engine or know where it is, makes big difference? I already have 67 cuda project but how bout sharing ask price? Just curious not looking to buy.

Okay guys, I just decided it is going to be beyond me to do the work and get it to what it needs to be done. I passed the info on to the FABO member who asked me last night where the car was located and I also told him I would give him first shot at it. I also said in my pm to him that I would give you guys the contact info after 6 east cost time.

The car is not numbers matching and it has a 318, may have the original trans and he does know where a 72 340 motor is located in his area.

The asking price is $6100 and his bottom dollar price is $5000 he said at least its worth that is what he said so I feel there is some working room.

Guys when I post the info and if anyone gets it please let me know as I would love to see it done and know it went to a good home.

I even thought about buying and trying to flip it but I'm not going to.

If restored OE original to a high standard it might be worth around $30K. If it has numbers motor. Might not crack $30K with non numbers motor. Odd and rare car, smaller buying audience, longer to sell. Something in the quality range of this: http://hispeedcustoms.com/IMAGES/CARS/1969 Dart GTS/index.htm Which isn't exactly perfect or ultra high standard quality.

To reach that level of quality, you will pay more than $10K in the metal, body, and paint. Sounds like quite a few metal panels will need replaced. And that is just what the sell can easily see. And he doesn't seem like a mopar guy or very interested in the car.

IMHO, it's worth more than a similar 71 Demon 340 automatic EV2 color no sunroof. Should be close in value to 71 Demon 340 4spd EV2 no sunroof value

There's a gentleman in our mopar club, who live in Mass. who is restoring a sunroof demon, and his is red as well....there an interesting car. I'v also seen some dusters with that rare option.

I agree with autoxcuda that restored and with # matching would be worth over 30k. I think he is a bit low on cost to do it I would say quality restore 15-18k. Would be hard to pay to restore and sell it even though its rare you have to find someone who really wants it. Thanks for sharing I hope FABO member buys and restores it.

I agree with autoxcuda that restored and with # matching would be worth over 30k. I think he is a bit low on cost to do it I would say quality restore 15-18k. Would be hard to pay to restore and sell it even though its rare you have to find someone who really wants it. Thanks for sharing I hope FABO member buys and restores it.

Sorry, I'll clarify. I meant the JUST the metal repair work, body, and paint will OVER $10K to the bare body shell. And that is way low.

Then you have to restore/rebuild the rest of the car: interior, suspension/undercarriage, motor, trunk, grilles, brightwork, etc, etc. You can do that yourself $$ or pay someone else $$$$$$.

You could not pay someone else to paint and restore that car for near $30K and then be able to sell it for near $30K.

Sure someone might "paint and restore" that car for $30K. But what you will end up with, will not sell for anything near $30K.

I'm waiting on pics of fender tag, build sheet and more of the car. The codes that were corrected are right on the car. He couldnt see and the guy is a ford guy. He was upset that he traded a built up 5.0 for the car.

I'm waiting build sheet and more pics before I say yes or not and I did get a price and he will deliever the car to me.

The problems that I know of the car are as follows.

Tail panel- Right tail light area has rust.

Trunk pan- Needs replaced

Quarter panels- Both have rust in them

Interior pans- Right rear area needs replaced or patched

Fenders are good on the car, hood is good as well along with the grill. I did send an email asking if the roof and back window have rust in it or any where else with it being a convertiable top.

My problem is the metal work and I have no clue about getting the work done since its not something I can do or well no longer can do.

The deal I have on the 71 Road Runner has all the metal work done and ready for sanding, paint and interior work for $4600.00

Give me till 6pm my time (east cost time) and I will pm the guy on here that asked about it first and then I will post it to the second guy an hour after that. I promised the other guy I would give him first shot at it and I like to keep my word. I will also give you his bottom dollar price.

What would this car be worth in the condition it is in right now?
I woulda done that trade in a heart beat and not regret it one bit... ask him if he will trade for another one for me??

Here as promised is the add and I have sent out PMs to everyone that was wanting to know about it.

http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/3115981629.html

If anyone gets please let me know as I'm telling you I was ready to buy it and try to flip it for a little extra cash but my school money took most of my car money right now and I was still looking at borrowing the money to get it.

Always can get some metal weld back in.

For muscle cars I dislike T tops - sunroof's. The car has more flex and the roof is weaker. Muscle cars should be stronger in every way.

Oh sure it be nice at times and if your not running under 13 seconds it might not matter - unless you ever crash it

Yep rare but I think they look kinda of stupid with the top open.The top sticks up in the rear when open.

Jim

I just bought my first duster yesterday and it has the fold back canvas top. Its rough but its my new project. 1971 duster twister with a slant 6, bench seat with orange houndstooth interior and an auto on the column, EV2 hemi orange. I'll have a build thread tonight or tomorrow.

I just bought my first duster yesterday and it has the fold back canvas top. Its rough but its my new project. 1971 duster twister with a slant 6, bench seat with orange houndstooth interior and an auto on the column, EV2 hemi orange. I'll have a build thread tonight or tomorrow.

Very cool post up some pics soon.

This car was on ebay and didnt get to 5K I think its stopped at $4500 and some change. I do still think the car is for sale.

Okay, I have owned 3 V3W code folding top Demons over the last 25 plus years. two of the Demons were PB3 super Blue and the 3rd one a Gold color ( I still have the roof and the data plate to the gold one.) The orange car that matches yours is owned by Ed and Linda Althouse in Pennsylvania.

On ebay, I have seen production numbers of 26 and 99. If either is true, then I have owned 3% or 12% of production. I can verify that mind and Ed's cars were both built on June1, 1972. The V3W and V3X. My gold car was built on May 17, 1972. the Super Blue Mr. Norms with the steel sunroof is a fake. A-bodies did not receive steel crank open sunroofs until the 1973 model year.

Dusters had the folding top in 1971 and Demons in 72. I have seen very little of this being mixed, but Mr. Wolfe, editor of Mopar Collectors Guide had a 1971 Demon V3X car and I have a slide of it from the 1990 Mopar Nationals.

While the service manual lists both steel and folding top sunroofs, the A-bodies were folding tops and B-, C-, and E-bodies were steel. The folding top instructions are found on pages 8-12 through 8-17 of the body service manual. A point of interest, in 2001, I had a gentleman show me pictures of his 1970 Chrysler 300Hs. Of the 3 in the photos, 2 were folding top cars. this may be Canadian only, But I would love to see them again.

Attachments

• BackyardDemon.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 666
Okay, I have owned 3 V3W code folding top Demons over the last 25 plus years. two of the Demons were PB3 super Blue and the 3rd one a Gold color ( I still have the roof and the data plate to the gold one.) The orange car that matches yours is owned by Ed and Linda Althouse in Pennsylvania.

On ebay, I have seen production numbers of 26 and 99. If either is true, then I have owned 3% or 12% of production. I can verify that mind and Ed's cars were both built on June1, 1972. The V3W and V3X. My gold car was built on May 17, 1972. the Super Blue Mr. Norms with the steel sunroof is a fake. A-bodies did not receive steel crank open sunroofs until the 1973 model year.

Dusters had the folding top in 1971 and Demons in 72. I have seen very little of this being mixed, but Mr. Wolfe, editor of Mopar Collectors Guide had a 1971 Demon V3X car and I have a slide of it from the 1990 Mopar Nationals.

While the service manual lists both steel and folding top sunroofs, the A-bodies were folding tops and B-, C-, and E-bodies were steel. The folding top instructions are found on pages 8-12 through 8-17 of the body service manual. A point of interest, in 2001, I had a gentleman show me pictures of his 1970 Chrysler 300Hs. Of the 3 in the photos, 2 were folding top cars. this may be Canadian only, But I would love to see them again.

Thanks for the info and its a lot of good info. I really love that petty blue Demon of yours. That is a nice looking car.

The car is back on ebay for the third time I think so not sure what is going on with it. I think last time it met the reserve. I like the car but it needs a good bit of work.

Isn't there a aftermarket place that sells these as kits?

Its funny but this car is back on eBay again and I think it has met his reserve twice but not sure why no one has picked the car up.

I have his number and I know another member is trying to get a hold of him but has not spoken to him the last time we talked.

Does anybody know what happened to this car? Or have seen any others?

FWIW, I remember a B1 Blue Sky Duster ragtop in Albuquerque back in 1998 or so. Saw it once and could never find it again. It was all original and nice but once perfect by any means.

I think the guy sold it and it was maybe sold to some one in the area. The add was taken down shortly after I posted the link. I waited to long.

I was hoping somebody on here bought it and was restoring it. Hope it, or one like it, pops up again when my wallet is full.

-
Back