1972 Duster Org. paint Resto detail

-

va58

Restoration Jedi
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought this was very interesting. Bule 1972 duster, paint is factory. Notice the bottom attachment point for the front fenders. The small square attachment point is painted black. it is painted with a brush. I have done many resto on b and e body cars and don't recall ever seeing this. I would assume that only light color paint would receive. I know across the board that this bolt would be black phos. Any other members car like this? How could i have miss this all these years? Is this an A body thing only? Car is a Hamtramck plant car.

Attachments

• blue duster 154 (800x450).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 689
  • blue duster 155 (230x408).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 637
  • blue duster 152 (800x450).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 642
  • blue duster 140 (408x230).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 634
I have a 72 TB3 Demon that had the same treatment done on the fender attachment bolt area. Looked factory, but it was only visible when I was stripping off the black repaint, so I wasn't sure.

I recall reading in some mag a long long time ago that they were griping about the common mistake of "not" blacking out that portion, so maybe it is correct.

Grant

Ths duster is factory paint. Any other member's cars have this treatment, and if so would like to know the paint color..

Posted this many months ago. Anybody seen this before, and what color paint other than Basin blue, aka Petty blue?

Well I was on e-bay and saw this fender for sale from what appears to be a original paint car and there you can see this white or light beige car with the same blacked out fender tab as my original paint TB3 car. I would assume at this point that 1972 Dusters received this at the factory just the same as the blacked out portion behind the grille. If the car was a lighter color, I find these detail interesting.I must be the only person who does..lol..

Attachments

• 72 duster black paint mark.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 559
I cant say Ive noticed that before. Ive had a few original paint cars in F8 and Y9, both dart colors.

did they black out the very bottom edge (or pinch weld) on the rocker panel too?

Tim, Here is a pic of my former original paint 45,000 mile 72 340 4-speed Duster, you can see the fender mounting tab is painted body color...and on both sides. Like most things, there probably was no rhyme or reason why one car got it and the next did not...interesting fact though....

IMG_1320.jpg

did they black out the very bottom edge (or pinch weld) on the rocker panel too?

Great question. You would think it would be done in tandem with that. Will have to check my parts car and see if the pinch weld is blacked out though..

Pinch weld on my 73 Duster, Original paint , F8 green not painted. It does have the radiator support blacked out.

Great question. You would think it would be done in tandem with that. Will have to check my parts car and see if the pinch weld is blacked out though..

That would be great. I am just in the process of painting my duster and I would like to make it close to original.

Tim, Here is a pic of my former original paint 45,000 mile 72 340 4-speed Duster, you can see the fender mounting tab is painted body color...and on both sides. Like most things, there probably was no rhyme or reason why one car got it and the next did not...interesting fact though....

IMG_1320.jpg
I think you and I talked about this before. If you look at this photo of your car and can get passed the part where you are going " Damn, that sweet" You could see why it is possible that the factory would incorporate this process on lighter cars. This may have been missed on your car. The rad. support also appears to have gotten little to no paint while the line worker was painting the front blacked out portion of the mask.

This is an older pic and doesn't show the rad. support, but just walked outside to look and pinch weld is not painted. The rad support on this car is completed
blacked out. No blue showing at all.

Attachments

• blue duster 139.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 478
Pinch weld on my 73 Duster, Original paint , F8 green not painted. It does have the radiator support blacked out.
Twenty years ago I saw a factory memo, although I don't think it was a TSB, that talked about what colors received the black mask behind the grille. I think their was a color or two more but i remember two of the colors on the list that didn't receive the "mask' was Black and dark blue. This detail on the fender we have at least two known tb3 car that have it and the one white or sand beige car in the salvage yard shot. You would think Yellow would have been on the "paint' list also. Will have to PM member in California with Survivor Duster and ask him to photo his fender attachment point and see if his is painted. His car was light blue.

1971 340 Duster. The passenger side fender was replaced at one time (part number visible on inside). Attaching clips are painted black on both fenders.

Also, the rockers are painted black below the rocker strakes.

Attachments

• DSCF1973.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCF1976.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 461
1971 340 Duster. The passenger side fender was replaced at one time (part number visible on inside). Attaching clips are painted black on both fenders.

Also, the rockers are painted black below the rocker strakes.

Cool. do you still have car and could you post a close-up of the driver's side attachment point and the color code on tag{EV2?}or fender tag and the pinch weld below rocker moulding?

By the way, I need those rocker moulding!!! lol..

Yes, I still have the car. It's in my garage now because I am "working" on it. I haven't touched it since I bought the Charger last December.

Here's the fender tag. I will have to get you a picture of the fender clips when I get home from work today.

Attachments

• Duster Fender Tag.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 463
Thanks for posting. EV2 paint. again, it is a perfect example of the factory procedure for painting the engine compartment with fender tag attached. Tag attached with one screw. Tag bent upward to get some paint under tag. Down the line worker bent tag down and placed screw into tag and tighten.
one painted screw on left, crease in tag on left and unpainted screw in right side of tag. Other factories and other cars, B, and c bodies hung them from the mounting point for the rear view mirror inside car's shell.
thanks again for posting...

Heres some details from my duster. Firewall paint, Hardly anything on one side, Big run on the other.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 468
Is that the original primer showing through on the pass. side? Hell of a run on the driver side also. You would think that would have push car to side track for repair, but I guess under hood they let it go..

okay we have at least one 71 and a couple of 72's that showed it was a factory finish on some colors anyway. now we have a couple of 73's that don't have it.maybe this procedure was dropped after 72. or mid year 72... some bean counters way of saving money at the factory. I will have to dig a little deeper and start with production dates of cars and factories where built.

Is that the original primer showing through on the pass. side? Hell of a run on the driver side also. You would think that would have push car to side track for repair, but I guess under hood they let it go..

Yes thats the original primer. Notice the black undercoating over the primer. The entire engine compartment is very light on paint,

Yes thats the original primer. Notice the black undercoating over the primer. The entire engine compartment is very light on paint,

wow, I have looked at alot of cars over the past thirty years and I don't think I have ever seen one this thin on paint..

-
Back