1972 Duster Org. paint Resto detail

-
wow, I have looked at alot of cars over the past thirty years and I don't think I have ever seen one this thin on paint..

part of my firewall is super thin and i have runs on the other side. lol

another thought to ponder is whether these cars have undercoating in correlation to the painted tabs. my 73 has 0 undercoating and body color tabs , but my core support is black behind the grill.

never thought about the undercoating. if you go to the very top of the thread and look at my tb3 blue 72 car you will see that there's undercoating all around the fender bolt. If appears to be factory undercoating. I started this thread because in all my years of messing with mopars I had never see this. Dont remember seeing b,e or even c bodies done this way I am doing a full blown resto on 72 duster and even though it is black I thought this is somthing that should be researched a bit. It does bring to mind one of the most common mistakes in mopar 'stock' restorations is not to paint the bolt along with the fender while painting the car. This bolt was installed after the car was painted and the inner spalsh shield was installed before factory undercoating.....

This is getting interesting. In 1965 the fenders were painted without the bolt through the tab holding the inner splash shield. That bolt was added when the inner shield was added and the inner fender undercoating was applayed. This procedure always talked place even if the undercoating/hood silencer was ordered.

Before the inner fender undercoating was applayed all the holes towards the engine compartment was masked off with Scotch tejp to cover from undercoating.

Ok va58, here are some pictures of what some of the things you were asking about. Keep in mind that the passenger fender was replaced with a factory piece as it has a visible part number and no undercoating.

Attachments

• Radiator support through Sharktooth.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 153
  • Passenger side radiator support.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 139
  • Driver's side Radiator support.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Radiator support.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Passenger Rocker and Fender.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Passenger Fender Attachement.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Driver Rocker and Fender.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Driver's side fender attachement.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for taking the time to photo your car. To my knowledge, the lower trim on your car was not the same option on 72's or was done different. You can see in the attached listing that it clearly states " custom sill molding with black paint below. the listing is below the heading " Custom sedan trim group" Does not list a code but i am sure that the code on your fender tag is the M21. great car and a great starting point for a restoration. I have see a few of these molding packages on restore cars but I think this is the first one I have see on an original paint car. Please photo this car in great detail as you began your resto. these details are getting lost to time and cars like your are becoming quite rare.. Again, thanks for posting.

Attachments

• 71_Valiant_Duster_23.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 137
Thanks for the compliments and the copy of the trim packages. I will take a lot of pictures of the car in more detail as I go. I am even toying with the idea of leaving the body as it sits right now because of the cost of a complete restoration. It's just a thought.

Adamr, thanks for posting your pics also. In your engine compartment pic you can see the exhaust manifold heat shield that has the lighter color "clips" on the top. You don't by any chance have a pair of those laying around you would sell Do You? Mine are missing on my 72 340 Car that is under restoration..

Thanks for the compliments and the copy of the trim packages. I will take a lot of pictures of the car in more detail as I go. I am even toying with the idea of leaving the body as it sits right now because of the cost of a complete restoration. It's just a thought.
in the pic of the end of the molding on the driver's side it almost looks like the bottom of the spear has an argent finish on it for the first few inches. Does it? Is it just years of road grime/ black paint? Leaving your car in an un-restored state will never be a crime in my opinion. Their are guys up north and on the east coast that would kill to get their hands on a California car such as yours. [ Me included, Who do you want the hit on?lol.]
Doing a full blown resto takes lots of blood,sweat, money and tears. I know i have done too many. do what you wish, it's your car, and a damn good one at that....

Adamr, thanks for posting your pics also. In your engine compartment pic you can see the exhaust manifold heat shield that has the lighter color "clips" on the top. You don't by any chance have a pair of those laying around you would sell Do You? Mine are missing on my 72 340 Car that is under restoration..

No I dont but if I come across a set Ill let you know.

I might have what you are searching. I will get a picture soon.

in the pic of the end of the molding on the driver's side it almost looks like the bottom of the spear has an argent finish on it for the first few inches. Does it? Is it just years of road grime/ black paint? Leaving your car in an un-restored state will never be a crime in my opinion. Their are guys up north and on the east coast that would kill to get their hands on a California car such as yours. [ Me included, Who do you want the hit on?lol.]
Doing a full blown resto takes lots of blood,sweat, money and tears. I know i have done too many. do what you wish, it's your car, and a damn good one at that....

The argent color is just the reflection of the oxidized paint under the spear.

The car is actually a New Mexico car. I bought it from someone who bought it from someone who bought it from someone in New Mexico.

I restored my first Mopar back in 1976, it was a 1964 Dodge Polara 500. I hated the fact that I turned into a paranoid car owner regarding the paint, road chips, dings, dead drain areas that could turn into rust, etc. I wasn't that way before I painted it. Same with my 1967 SS 350 Camaro that I owned at the same time. Once I got new paint it was double my stress. Those were daily drivers. Maybe this time around I can restore the Duster and not worry about it since it isn't my daily driver and I just want to play around with it.

Tim! This is how it looks in the parts book.

First picture is from 1972 parts book and to me it seems like it's the 71 air cleaner. On picture two is the 1973 parts book picture.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 164
  • 004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 137
Mine looks like the one in the second photo. I pulled the engine out of the Duster today but I have not gotten as far as removing the exhaust manifold from the driver's side. what's left of both of my cars [ 72 340 car and 72 318 car both Dusters] appear to look like the reproduction shield that is on the market that is part of the manifold gasket itself. Will know for sure once i get manifold removed. Yours appears to be a shield without the manifold gasket integrated into it. Is the shield complete or removed from the engine leaving the manifold gasket still behind the manifold? in the picture you have its hard to tell from the angle. One thing that is for sure is the welded on clips is what I need if I have to spot weld onto reproduction manifold gasket. Will try and get some photos posted on here for you to look over...

Maybe it is just the shield. i don't thing the factory used gaskets on the manifolds when engine was assembled, Right? Smooth, clean machined surface, gasket not required is what I think anyway. I don't think that this engine has ever apart so will know more once I pull the manifolds off. your second photo refers to the part as a "Shield", not gasket...

Ok, here is survivor 1972 duster from California. driver side show small evidence of black but looks more like road grime but hard to tell for sure. Pass. side is a little more interesting. It appears to be painted black almost as if if was spray paint. just wanted to dismiss it as a former owner painted it for whatever reason, but the black phos. bolt is not painted, or at least appears to not be be painted. If it was black spray paint for whatever reason, who would take the time to remove the bolt and paint it? Inconclusive as this point. The one car I know for sure [tb3 blue, Mine] was brush paint and not spray.

Attachments

• 1972 duster suvivor.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 1972 suvivor.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 157
va58, you jogged my memory.

I am a native Californian and was in my mid-teens and mid-20s during the 70s decade. I recall that around 1974 it became popular to detail the wheel wells of our cars. Not only did guys and gals paint the the wells, but they would add mudflaps from a large selection of sizes, types, and materials (metal vs. plastic). I recall some people removing their lip mouldings because they didn't look right with the flaps or because they interfered with the installation. Some cars needed to have holes drilled into the lip if they didn't have the moulding. I know of a few guys who tried to use the fender bolt as an attachment point instead of drilling and their flaps would be cockeyed. Wheel well lights were sometimes installed. I don't know if it was just a California thing or if it was a thing that was being done across the country.

It might be that a previous owner of the car began to do something like that and decided that it wasn't a good idea after starting on one side.

I pulled the hood off my Duster last night and cleaned it up. Just like the engine compartment there is very little paint on the passenger side. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

va58, you jogged my memory.

I am a native Californian and was in my mid-teens and mid-20s during the 70s decade. I recall that around 1974 it became popular to detail the wheel wells of our cars. Not only did guys and gals paint the the wells, but they would add mudflaps from a large selection of sizes, types, and materials (metal vs. plastic). I recall some people removing their lip mouldings because they didn't look right with the flaps or because they interfered with the installation. Some cars needed to have holes drilled into the lip if they didn't have the moulding. I know of a few guys who tried to use the fender bolt as an attachment point instead of drilling and their flaps would be cockeyed. Wheel well lights were sometimes installed. I don't know if it was just a California thing or if it was a thing that was being done across the country.

It might be that a previous owner of the car began to do something like that and decided that it wasn't a good idea after starting on one side.
I also remember as a teenager in the mid 70's we also did the same thing on our car's here on the east coast. We didn't use the flaps so much, but it was popular to paint the inside of the wheel wells with black paint to make it look nicer.

Heres the underside of my hood, The passenger side again has little to no paint on it,

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 135
my old 71 had blacked out tabs... red car. Maybe the foactory's tab painter was sick a lot.

-
Back