1972 prototype dodge truck?

-
I don't think he's trying to pass it off as anything to do with little red, nowhere does it say anything like that in the description. I think he's saying prototype meaning preproduction, the27th off tthe line which if delivered to a magazine for testing would certainly be considered a not full production truck as it might have options otherwise not available on the full run trucks, like say disc brakes.

FWIW...years ago, one-off vehicles were not uncommon. I worked in Sales for a Chrysler dealer, and the district rep told us to never lose a sale because a certain option wasn’t available. My most strange and memorable special order was a ’64 New Yorker 4-door that was ordered with a three speed manual transmission. An old farmer, who was a good customer, didn’t trust automatic transmissions, but wanted the top of the line Chrysler. Manuals with a floor shifter could be had on a Newport, but not New Yorkers.
It was far more common for trucks to be ordered with all sorts of deviations from the regular option list. One of my buyers owned a helicopter service, and he ordered a 4WD with custom fuel tanks, improved suspension, special winch, relocated spare tire, special color, special lighting, and I can’t remember all the powertrain changes, but there were several. It took about three months to build, but he got what he wanted. There were so many changes, he worked directly with the regional rep, but I got the commission.

HEY GUYS i dont know if anyone is still viewing this topic, but i just stumbled upon it during a google search. its pretty interesting to read what you are all guessing about, because i just bought this very truck recently. alot of you are saying how this truck is a total POS or some botched backyard job, but it is definitely something special; and its actually in very good shape for its age. as of right now, i dont know if it was a factory concept, but there are alot of very unique things about it that it definitely wasnt just a regular production model. also, the vin tells that it was the 29th truck to roll off the line. and when i bought it, it came with some documentation that listed alot of special things about it, and that it was owned by a chrysler executive. im trying to get the full story on it as of right now

Hmm interesting, I was surprised to see this topic back up.

here is something else you may find interesting..this is from one of the papers i got with the truck; from the guy that bought it from the chrysler executive. it says:

"1972 dodge pickup adventurer special edition pkg. This is a pre production truck, it was used purposely for show use when new. Factory leaded door jambs, only truck believed to have factory vinyl top. all body panels serial number #0000000. power steering, factory power disk brakes, same as use on 1970 super bird. Factory cruise control, Factory air cond and tinted glass. Slider rear window, am/fm radio. has 1967 383 magnum built, hemi transmission, 3.23 ring and pinion. engine has approx 2000 miles. engine is all direct connection parts. estimated hp. 430, balanced to 6000rpm. transmission has cheetah manual valve body. Chrysler DC electronic ignition. interior clean, like new. pickup bed has oak floor and cover. i originally purchased from chrysler executive 9 years ago"

Not buying anything about this truck. It has later sheet metal on it. A blind man could see it.

But, as stated above, just because an option wasn't listed doesn't mean it wasn't installed at the factory. I've heard stories from way back then (Hell, I read them way back then!) about the unusual options that the factory bigwigs had built for themselves. But then, those stories might have been lies way back then! I wish someone had archived the original C/L ad. The truck would be an interesting thing to look at, real or not.

BC

But, as stated above, just because an option wasn't listed doesn't mean it wasn't installed at the factory. I've heard stories from way back then (Hell, I read them way back then!) about the unusual options that the factory bigwigs had built for themselves. But then, those stories might have been lies way back then! I wish someone had archived the original C/L ad. The truck would be an interesting thing to look at, real or not.

BC
I don't think Chrysler would make '81-'93 body panels in '72 then just scrap using them, then revive it later for convenience.

I don't remember any pictures good enough that I could say the panels were any specific year. May we see some new pics Somethincool?

In the picture I saw, and which I debated, the sheet metal was stock '72-'73.

The sheet metal is correct and I don't think the old owner was trying to say the 68 383 was factory, just what is in there now. I do believe the disc brakes, top, ac tint, are all factory. What was the factory motor according to the VIN?

That 400 would be correct as 71 was the last for the 383. IF it did come with a 383 it would have been a leftover 71 not a 68 but without the actual motor stamped with Tue VIN that would be hard to prove.

so far what i can gather is this: the truck was a pre production and specially optioned truck for show use from the factory. the guy that bought it from the chrysler executive got it around 1980 and he did a custom restore and turned it into the "big red express truck". it originally came with a 400 and when the guy re-did the truck, he put in the 67 383 magnum. it was originally white and he repainted the truck the red which is how it sits now. using the puzzle pieces i have, this is my theory as of now. i have the guys name that re-did the truck, and im going to try contacting him so i can get the full story on it. he will probably have a lot of pictures of the truck back in the day, so hopefully i can get those too

Interesting story! How about some pictures of the truck as it is today. The original ad was pulled and some of us (well, me anyway)
don't know what those other folks are talking about. Thanks!

BC

Interesting story! How about some pictures of the truck as it is today. The original ad was pulled and some of us (well, me anyway)
don't know what those other folks are talking about. Thanks!

BC

That's ok, just read Rustys post's he is hot on the case..... :bootysha:

If that truck was a real documented one of one prototype "Big Red Express" it would be worth astronomical amounts of money, same as a pilot car. Sorry to bust yalls bubble, but that's the truth. It's somebody's creation alright, but not Dodge's.

so far what i can gather is this: the truck was a pre production and specially optioned truck for show use from the factory. the guy that bought it from the chrysler executive got it around 1980 and he did a custom restore and turned it into the "big red express truck". it originally came with a 400 and when the guy re-did the truck, he put in the 67 383 magnum. it was originally white and he repainted the truck the red which is how it sits now. using the puzzle pieces i have, this is my theory as of now. i have the guys name that re-did the truck, and im going to try contacting him so i can get the full story on it. he will probably have a lot of pictures of the truck back in the day, so hopefully i can get those too

Very cool story...as several have said, "never say never" Execs back then with ANY mfg could could probably get away with alotta stuff...

That's ok, just read Rustys post's he is hot on the case..... :bootysha:

LOL, Im gonna have me some :happy1: and watch the facts/evidence get laid out?? The new owner is the only person with anything invested in this, so who really cares true or not??
Its not like he is trying to sell it without documentation or history....
Cool story...

Well as of yet, everything here is an opinion. There's been no documented evidence presented. .........not that I really give a damn one way or the other. I just enjoy stirrin the pot too much to leave it alone.

Rusty you are jumping the shark on this. Nobody has claimed it to be some prototype big red or little red or special 383 or anything like that. Read back at the posts carefully. The truck was preproduction, a regular preproduction 1972 Dodge truck. The number 27 off the VIN definitely proves that, normally 27 would never make it past the testing or show circuit. Then it has some good factory options like big block 400, power disc brakes, vinal top, ac, tinted windows, etc. That kind of stuff is rare in 72 but especially on trucks. Then sometime later the owner did the paint, 383 HP motor and the big red stuff. Nobody is trying to say this is some concept factory thing worth 100's of K, but is is a pre-normal production cool old truck.

-
Back