1974 Chrysler Valiant Regal

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
Well some of you may remember a post I made a couple of months ago. I've been on the search for a South African Valiant. I have always wanted a "foreign" Chrysler. Weather it be a Brazilian, Australian, or even more of an odd ball, South African. I have a good friend that lives in Durban SA, and he has been helping me in the search for the right car. There are quite a few to choose from, but finding a nice one is almost impossible! Most of them were used as taxi's there. That being said they were used and abused. Most of the Valiants you find are just totally rusted beyond saving, or were repaired from said rust very badly. Not that a rusty car would be a problem to fix, but these guys think they are gold! People wanting over $6000 U.S. for a 4 door Valiant is just impossible to comprehend. Especially considering I have to ship it all the way here. We looked at probably 10 cars in his area over the past 6 months with absolutely no luck.

Just last week Leon sent me a message telling me he has found the right one. It's a 2 owner car. The current owner has had the car about 20 years, and only used it for Sunday drives, and the occasional wedding. The car is a 1974 Chrysler Valiant Regal. This is the Australian body, same as what the Australian Charger was modeled after. Slant 6 (as they all were) column shifted auto. Only has 109,000 kilometers (60,000) miles. All original down to the dealer installed sticker on the rear glass. All of the chrome and stainless is in great shape, and it has ZERO rust! It has an optional long range gas tank, which adds an additional 15 gallon capacity. The current owner has upgraded the exhaust system with a header, and hi flow exhaust. There are a few things I already plan on changing, but I will keep the car basically original. Here are some pictures of the ride. I will have more photos to come later.

Attachments

• 1414926016_738507374_2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 518
  • 1414926016_738507374_3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 508
  • 1414926016_738507374_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 508
  • 1414926016_738507374_5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 1414926016_738507374_4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 500
I'm glad that your search has ended, That Valiant looks amazing!

Now I have to start looking for that "S" air cleaner sticker!! And how does that red paint on the header stand up?

I'm glad that your search has ended, That Valiant looks amazing!
Yea me too! Really hard to do being 10,000 miles away. Leon has been a huge help.

Now I have to start looking for that "S" air cleaner sticker!! And how does that red paint on the header stand up?
Pretty neat right! Did you notice the S badges on the C pillars? Lots of the cars we looked at had the Formula-S badges on them. Thought that was kinda cool. As far as the paint on the headers, I have no idea. Not sure if its paint or powder coat. I assume its powder coat. We shall soon find out!

Never seen remote oil filter setup like that on a slant. Nice car too btw!!

Thanks man. They had to use the remote filter because the steering box is in the way. Interesting place to put it though I must agree.

That is gonna be a conversation piece on cruise night! Nice find. What kind of alternator is it running? It almost looks GM.

Very cool. Congratulations. Post more pics when it gets stateside.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I will definitely be posting more when she gets home.

That is gonna be a conversation piece on cruise night! Nice find. What kind of alternator is it running? It almost looks GM.

Yes it will. I'm wondering what will be said when it arrives at mopar only shows. It is an A body, just mot like the ones we are used to seeing lol. The alternator I am not positive on. It does have Chrysler markings on it, as does the voltage regulator next to it. Must be an African one hahaha. Once I get to see it with my own eyes I can answer that question more accurately.

That car is full of neat stuff! I spotted the "S" badges, but couldnt tell if thats what they were. Sex shade in the back window is cool. Lotsa unique features. Congrats!!

Love the dash and the rear window shade.Is the window shade factory?
The dash really looks to me like an E body. The shade I am not sure if that was a dealer add or if that was factory installed or what. I plan on keeping it right where it is.

That car is full of neat stuff! I spotted the "S" badges, but couldnt tell if thats what they were. Sex shade in the back window is cool. Lotsa unique features. Congrats!!
The S badging really took me by surprise. From some of the info I have read, the S badges signify a 2 barrel carb. I have not confirmed that. Info on these African Valiants is really hard to find.

Well I may have answered the carburetor question. According to this spec sheet, they had a Carter BBD installed which is a 2 barrel carb.

Attachments

• Regal%2072%20-%2078.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 393
Question?
Answer me this if you would.
How do you get this car by the feds, to operate on American roadways, as it's not built to USA standards?

Question?
Answer me this if you would.
How do you get this car by the feds, to operate on American roadways, as it's not built to USA standards?

It's pretty simple. The vehicle has to be 25 years old, or older. The car will have to pass emissions per state requirements for the model year. Other than that, your good to go. Believe me I checked in to all of the legalities way back when I got the wild hair to buy one lol.

Very cool! Did you know that the air cleaner top lid is the same as the Max Wedge ones? Cool stuff :glasses7:

very cool...congrats! :)
Thanks man!

That car ,is a walking piece of history. Just ,Bad ***....
It has definitely been well cared for. Can't wait to get her home.

Very cool! Did you know that the air cleaner top lid is the same as the Max Wedge ones? Cool stuff :glasses7:

I did not know that! Learn something new every day! I have a feeling I will be learning all kinds of new things! I was going to mention. The steering column barrel where the wheel mounts to looks identical to the E body cars. I would like to add a rim blow wheel to it some day if I come across one.

They got some hi-temp silicone powder coats now good up to 1200F. That intake looks big too. Cool.

Now you're gonna have to drive on the other side of the road, that might be a problem. :D

Cool car. It's really going to be strange driving it, I would love to try that just once.

Looks Neat... but I am a little bias. Hope all goes well with it.

Attachments

• P1000218_2560_1440.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 340
Not 78 no. Aussie 1976 Chrysler Vk Regal. I see you are on the Aussie Moparmarket forum. That's the place for all your info. Some very experienced and knowledgeable members there. Currently no running gear in mine. V8 swap imminent.

-
Back