1974 Dodge Dart Sport - 360 - Blow-through Single Turbo

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prine

A-Body Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Most of you who know me.......know, I have been accumulating parts I need to complete a Single Turbocharger system for my Dodge Dart Sport. This has been a Life Goal for me to accomplish....

It really, ALL started here for me...
I was working at Cummins Engines INC....

I had gotten a realy hefty speeding ticket for going 110mph in a 55 on a Tuesday night at 11:30....DE-celerating down from 160mph.:banghead:

I decided to sell my 400hp 4 cylinder import car....and get back to messing with Mopars and Carburetors.
So I gathered all my pictures and made a homemade video about my experiences with Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eagle Talons'

[ame]https://youtu.be/DeYKeIToeL0[/ame]

Sold my Kawasaki KZ900..... ( :banghead: and damn I miss this bike !)

(more to come....please let me get this all together before you comment)

SO.....the idea came along in 2008.

I had bought a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger.....anybody remember me posting pics and the story on it?

well......I had been working on it....and my buddy Wes Hess and his wife came by and we all went out to dinner.....after the meal we came back to my house and were drinking some brews.....we were out in the garage and Wes said " MAN.....what you need to do is Turbocharge this DART"

I had a few left over pieces from working at Cummins Engines INC so we messed around and started theorizing how it SHOULD be done....

....and there was how my inspiration was kindled into a Life Goal.
Not that life always cooperates......I couldnt find a job and bills started racking up....I got in a tight spot and ended up selling the 1970 Dart to member of the website.

Sadly Wes passed away later that year in a horrendous car accident...R I P Wes....you are missed.

and Right here......I am going to skip the whole Duster 360 nightmare story.

So.....in 2011 I was browsing Moparts....and there had been this Black 1974 Dodge Dart Sport that the owner wanted $6000 dollars for....posted every month in the A-bodies for sale section.

I struck up a deal and bought it......Finally.....I had a running driving Mopar again.....I had HAD mopars, since 1997......but none that were road worthy.

:cheers:

and it was Factory TX9, v4x9, with bucket seats, console auto, AND FOLD DOWN REAR SEAT.

Swooppp !

I love this car.....it is by far my favorite vehicle of all that I have owned.

"Life happens." I hope you continue, and post progress. I'm getting old enough, I'll be darn lucky just to get mine back together and running.....and still be able to drive, a year or two.

Who the heck is this guy??????

LMAO! Hey Prine!

Alright....thanks!

Now for a little more.......

The plan has never been a 10 second timeslip....or 1000hp. The plan is a T4 Turbo blowing through a SBM v8.....that fits under the hood....and is street legal.

Initially I want to make this setup so basic it is what I will call "Standardized".

It should do these BASIC THINGS:

* Fit a stock 67-76 Engine Bay and K-frame with torsion bars
* Fit 273 - 318 - 340 - or 360
* Require little to no grinding/cutting/tweaking/welding
* Fit Power Steering cars, or Manual even easier...but be the same regardless
* Add 150-300hp to the tires
* Bolt on in a afternoon/weekend with no special tools required
* Give clearance on starter/steering/brake components

Most of you know....I am no stranger to Turbochargers.

I have had tiny little 35mm baby snails......all the way up to 110mm Monsters.

My friend Wes Hess eagle talon setup

The plan in place......The recipe needed its ingredients.

I bought an Ebay sourced DNAmotoring.com GT45 with the 68mm compressor......known to be good to 650ish hp.

I bought a T4 flange....some 2.5" mandrel bends.....some 1.75" mandrel bends....a pair of SBM LA header flanges....(2) 2.5" V-band Clamps.

The thoughts about this consumed me so much I Drew my setup, before I even had 1/4 of the pieces...

I needed to cut and shape the bends and piping I had got....so I bought a Harbor Freight 4" Portable Band Saw, and a 4.5" Angle Grinder.

I traded a old Edelbrock 1406....for a complete but disassembled 318 off craigslist

THEN scored a Engine Stand at a garage sale....

Did I mention... that I dont have a Truck?

I brought the disassembled 318 home in my trunk!!!!
:usa2:

My budget is far less than Roadkill"s.........and I dont have a tag along crew carrying tools in the mini-van either!!!

Sounds like you got this under control prine. This is a build long over do... keep us posted. Im subscribed

Any thoughts about how you will boost reference the fuel pump or which pump you will run? I use a lean burn distributor with a vacuum can added. Run straight up timing with manifold vacuum so it retards under load. Engine has been on the stand for about 4 years now or I would tell you how well it does or doesn't work. It was a project before I got married so it's been moving slow while the new shop is being finished up.

I am using a stock 1973' 340 Exhaust Manifold.....with a Cross-Under Pipe....completely eliminating the need for exotica to snake around my power steering....

Behold :

Takes a tiny bit of grinding to get these pipes trimmed up!

Working on the Exhaust Port Tubes now...... updates to follow as it happens.

I thought about trying to do that, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that skilled. IF IF I had a nice big shop, with and indoor (mine's outdoor) hoist, I might be able to jig that up "in about a year" LOL

got some changes going on in my life behind the scenes....so might be a little bit before another update...

Got the cross-over mocked/fit/tacked....got the turbocharger "placed"....

till next time....

september 2016......done.

power steering
power brakes
stock k frame
fits under stock flat hood

september 2016......done.

power steering
power brakes
stock k frame
fits under stock flat hood
Hey Kelly, Brian from Clovis (your old stomping grounds) nice to see you kept this car. Not nice that you make this quote over a year later with no other info, and no pics! Haha

I do not have good internet access....so forgive me for not keeping this thread current.
Feel free to Friend Request me on Facebook

Here are the Update Pics

dartsportTurbo2016.jpg

DartsportTurbo2016-000.jpg

DartSportTurbo2016-096.jpg

DartsportTurbo2016-001.jpg

I do not have good internet access....so forgive me for not keeping this thread current.
Feel free to Friend Request me on Facebook

I don't do social media Mr. Prine, so you gotta keep this thread going! Haha. Or PM me your number and we can talk Mopar and get caught back up with life. Oregon? Really? What took you that direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back