1bbl or 2HELP!!

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
I was in the process of converting my 1bbl over to a 2bbl when i encountered a little problem.Many people have told me that a 2bbl would give more HP and provide a smoother running engine,but about the same number of people have told me not to do this,just replace the 1bbl with a better carter(I am running a holly)What do you all think?Any advise would be appreciated.](*,)

i guess that would depend on what you want. for me it just seemed to give a big boost in get up and go. i havnt yet documented the gas mileage as of yet. i think i have a gauge that drops from full to 1/4 tank really fast and stays there for a while. my holly 1945 was crap and it seems even the remans are crap now...so i went with a bbd off of a 318. it takes a little work but it will work.

whats was the problem you ran into..just the feedback from other people?

CONVERT to 2 bbl. However make sure you get the kickdown linkage if you have an Auto trans. If you cant find the proper KD linkage you can use a cable type like a Lokar.
All my DD cars and trucks are 2bbl Carter BBD. I am a lead foot and get around 25 MPG (all Hwy) Most also have 2 1/4 exhaust from the manifold back.
Frank

did you notice a difference with the bigger exhaust? i have yet to change my exhaust out.

i guess that would depend on what you want. for me it just seemed to give a big boost in get up and go. i havnt yet documented the gas mileage as of yet. i think i have a gauge that drops from full to 1/4 tank really fast and stays there for a while. my holly 1945 was crap and it seems even the remans are crap now...so i went with a bbd off of a 318. it takes a little work but it will work.

whats was the problem you ran into..just the feedback from other people?
Alot of people have told me to leave the 1bbl on for a variety of reasons,choke/choke p/o,linkage problems,trouble with the kickdown,and hesitation on full throttle pulling off the line.I would like to have the 2bbl for the extra power,and the smoother running engine,but these are alot of possible problems.But also,these people have not invested in a project like this,they mean well but i know that this is possible(2bbl convert)I have also been told that this will destroy the originality of the car,but people swap intakes and carbs all the time,and since i am going to keep the car,i dont see the problem.But then again this is my first total rebuild,so i have alot to learn.But if anybody would know,it would be you guys,because you have been there and done that.

did you notice a difference with the bigger exhaust? i have yet to change my exhaust out.
I picked up a little more pep and a couple of MPG. I wouldnt run right out an spend your hard earned cash but when you replace your exhaust then up grade.
Frank

I put a super six on a my 72 scamp, makes a noticable difference. I put an air cleaner on from a 318 2bl and it looks stock when you pop the hood. The air cleaner is a little bigger but only you will know. I also have the original cover that has the super six so you can go for which ever look I want. Grabed my setup from a 78 Dodge Aspen, both manifolds, new carb, air cleaner, all the likages and throttle cable and factory kickdown rod and lever from the tranny. A little paint and $75 bucks made a big difference for the money I paid and bolted right on. Tune to factory specs and go. Check out Dodge Aspens, Volares 4dr and wagons. Still a few around up in Canada at the wreakers, also good for front spindles calipers, rear ends 8 1/4 some with sure grip (taxi's and police) and cheap electronic ingntion upgrades. Both my cars have slants, becuase nobody wants them and their cheap to get. Plus I think there neat and different. When you go to a cruise night or car show, How many slant sixs do you see? All eights. Planning a slant six turbo build for my 64 valiant, now that's different...Ask slantsix dan for help he's great with the sixes...

I put a super six on a my 72 scamp, makes a noticable difference. I put an air cleaner on from a 318 2bl and it looks stock when you pop the hood. The air cleaner is a little bigger but only you will know. I also have the original cover that has the super six so you can go for which ever look I want. Grabed my setup from a 78 Dodge Aspen, both manifolds, new carb, air cleaner, all the likages and throttle cable and factory kickdown rod and lever from the tranny. A little paint and $75 bucks made a big difference for the money I paid and bolted right on. Tune to factory specs and go. Check out Dodge Aspens, Volares 4dr and wagons. Still a few around up in Canada at the wreakers, also good for front spindles calipers, rear ends 8 1/4 some with sure grip (taxi's and police) and cheap electronic ingntion upgrades. Both my cars have slants, becuase nobody wants them and their cheap to get. Plus I think there neat and different. When you go to a cruise night or car show, How many slant sixs do you see? All eights. Planning a slant six turbo build for my 64 valiant, now that's different...Ask slantsix dan for help he's great with the sixes...
You have some good imfo,and some good advise.I have decided to go on with my 2bbl conversion.I am pretty confident i can work out any problems that comes along(And they will)The 1bbl runs pretty good,but i would like a little more power.And you are right,i have been to alot of shows and have seen only 8's in the A-bodys.I have most of the parts ready to go on but i will probably wait until i finish the front end.Thanks for the imfo.

Alot of people have told me to leave the 1bbl on for a variety of reasons,choke/choke p/o,linkage problems,trouble with the kickdown,and hesitation on full throttle pulling off the line

Those people are ignorant, careless, and/or incompetent. If you have all the right pieces, there'll be no such problems. A carburetor in good condition is of course necessary for the engine to run well, and "remanufactured" carburetors usually don't work well.

I would like to have the 2bbl for the extra power,and the smoother running engine

A 2bbl does not give you a smoother-running engine than a 1bbl. A good carburetor gives you a smoother-running engine than a bad one.

I have also been told that this will destroy the originality of the car

So? Is it your car or is it an investment? If it's an investment you're in for a harsh surprise when you try to make back even a fraction of what you've put into it. I imagine it's your car, so carry on improving it as you will. Besides, we're talking about bolt-on items here. If suddenly we find ourselves transported to a universe wherein slant-6 A-bodies are worth Duesenberg money, then you can swap back to the 1bbl setup.

All my Slant 6's have been converted to Super 6's.
I would go no other way for DD's.
You will really notice the difference when you upgrade the exhaust!

View attachment 177754

Good luck with this.
If you need any pic's of a converted one or have any questions feel free to contact me.

Later,
Bruce B.

...and ya gotta add the chrome valve cover too. adds at least 10 HP. lol Looks good, Bruce!

Those people are ignorant, careless, and/or incompetent. If you have all the right pieces, there'll be no such problems. A carburetor in good condition is of course necessary for the engine to run well, and "remanufactured" carburetors usually don't work well.

A 2bbl does not give you a smoother-running engine than a 1bbl. A good carburetor gives you a smoother-running engine than a bad one.

So? Is it your car or is it an investment? If it's an investment you're in for a harsh surprise when you try to make back even a fraction of what you've put into it. I imagine it's your car, so carry on improving it as you will. Besides, we're talking about bolt-on items here. If suddenly we find ourselves transported to a universe wherein slant-6 A-bodies are worth Duesenberg money, then you can swap back to the 1bbl setup.
Thanks for the advice,I still plan to go on with my conversion.I need to focus less on the negative input i have been getting from people down here(at home)and focus more on what i want to do with my plymouth.:-D

As long as you keep all of the original parts, you haven't destroyed anything.

You also get to enjoy the higher performance while you have it.
Thanks,I am keeping all of the removed parts,can't wait to drive it when the swap is done!

All my Slant 6's have been converted to Super 6's.
I would go no other way for DD's.
You will really notice the difference when you upgrade the exhaust!

View attachment 177754

Good luck with this.
If you need any pic's of a converted one or have any questions feel free to contact me.

Later,
Bruce B.
Thanks for the help and support,I have some pics,but you can never have too many.I am pretty sure I will have alot of questions when I fly into this.

Hope it's a factory cover that's been chromed. If it is one of the eBay items, it's a Chinese piece of trash that won't fit or work correctly. See Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3. If you are bound and determined to put one of these low-quality pieces of junk on your engine, and if you can hack the bolt holes so they line up, then set up the breather and PCV this way.

Hope it's a factory cover that's been chromed. If it is one of the eBay items, it's a Chinese piece of trash that won't fit or work correctly. See Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3. If you are bound and determined to put one of these low-quality pieces of junk on your engine, and if you can hack the bolt holes so they line up, then set up the breather and PCV this way.

Hey Dan,
Actually it is a Mopar Performance Chrome Valve Cover with the MP Chrome Accsesory Pack. I bought it from MP 20 odd years ago. I feel this makes it worth at least 15 hp StrokerScamp. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for the pieces of crap they are selling on ebay now.

Later,
Bruce B.

it makes a nice difference once you go to a better flowing exhaust. i was never able to get better than 18 mpg average to the tank with my auto though, and it runs good.

-
Back