2 simple questions ...

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,

just wanted to check before I try anything.

First I want to change the intake, to do that I need to lower the coolant level, right? Is there a way to know how I much removed coolant is enough to remove the intake without creating a mess?

Second, I want to change the engine mount (72 style, square rubber mount) but I don't have an engine crane. Can I jack the engine by putting a piece of wood of 2x8 under the oil pan, and push on it with a floor jack? Is there any other trick?

Thanks

Yes you will need to drain the coolant out. Is there a certain level? Hmm, i'm guessing you could try pulling a heater line and if coolant comes out its too high lol. I usually drain the whole system and start over myself.

Yes, a piece of wood under the pan will work fine. I'd setup maybe something backup if that jack lets go while your hands are underthere however.

Drain the radiator via the stop **** or just pull the lower radiator hose (that’s what I do). This will be plenty for an intake swap.

Yes, a block of wood and a jack work…just be aware of the distributor when lifting the motor (mine hit the firewall and cracked the cap during a mount swap).

To drain coolent, look on the side of the block for a drain plug screwed in and remove. This should also drain the intake of any fluid.

After you drain the rad., you'll want the block drained. Raise car up on one side to tilt so coolent will flow to that side and exit.

-
Back