2001 5.9 Magnum questions

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
I have a lead on a 2001 5.9 Magnum motor with 118k miles for $600. Curious what sort of checklist you would recommend to me before going to take a look at it. Came out of a 2001 Ram

It would most likely be a rebuilt project just for peace of mind. Also would be my first engine rebuilt but I have a machine shop right down the street that seems to have good reviews and mainly focuses on older muscle cars.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Y'all are the best.

If you’re going to rebuild it, then I wouldn’t worry much about it. First major thing to replace is the cylinder heads with better ones.
The block and rotating assembly are good units. Cast crank and forged rods will carry you pretty far.

If you are going to use it with an automatic trans, grab the flexplate!

get everything you can with it-- even if you don't use it. the mounts, the pulleys, exhaust, flex plate, bolts, nuts, wiring and things, stuffs, whatzits and whatnots.

it's one of those things where it absolutely kills if you have to go find [blank] at the junkyard or the project can't move forward because of some dumb missing bolt, and it's $4.89 you have to order five of them and shipping is $14 and they'll be here a week from next thursday.

beyond that, make sure that it's complete. that it hasn't been sat outside with the valve covers off or the intake exposed. take a breaker bar so that you can make sure it's not locked up or that it doesn't sound like two robots are ******* when you turn it over. check the oil and see what's up: if it looks/smells like normal *** oil, bueno. looks like tar, then it was neglected. brand spankin' new, be suspicious-- people be changing oil trying to fix a problem that an oil change can't fix. milkshake? walk away, you don't want that problem.

other than that, these things are surprisingly robust. at that mileage you might get away with a hone and rings/bearings and just snapping it back together. rumblefish hit it, you can go a long way with stock components. if you're gonna spend money, buy heads. magnum heads are prone to cracking, so get a professional eye on those for sure.

I just rebuilt one and put it in my Dakota. It was out of a 2001 as well. Bottom end looked great. Did not have to bore it. Cleaned up and reused the same pistons and rings. Put in new rod and main bearings just because I was there. Cam and cam bearings were wiped and both heads were cracked. I just had my machine shop order a set of remanufactured heads. They were $600 for the pair. The camshaft was the hardest thing to find. Everyone is out of stock for some reason. I did finally get one from Enginetech. It was a regrind and runs great no complaints. The price was fantastic and it came with new roller lifters as well.

I have one in my 2000 r/t bone stock and love it. 148K on it. Cant even imagine working one and dropping it in.

My Dakota is a 1997. Had a tired 3.9 with 226000 on the clock. That 3.9 was a turd. Super clean truck no rust anywhere at all. Inside is perfect. I did the V8 swap and love it. Completely different truck now. That 5.9 is a great engine.

I have a lead on a 2001 5.9 Magnum motor with 118k miles for $600. Curious what sort of checklist you would recommend to me before going to take a look at it. Came out of a 2001 Ram

It would most likely be a rebuilt project just for peace of mind. Also would be my first engine rebuilt but I have a machine shop right down the street that seems to have good reviews and mainly focuses on older muscle cars.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Y'all are the best.

All great advice above.
If you plan on hedders there is one protrusion on the drivers side of the block that needs cut or ground off for the hedder flange to sit flat against the head, and it’s way easier to get it before the motor is in.
Ask me how I know.
I bought a 1996 and the heads were trashed.
Not only were they cracked, but if you turned a valve on it’s seat you could see daylight.
The valves were WAY out of round.
The short block looked like it had maybe 30k on it.
Very obvious cross hatching and near perfect bearings.

Also you might want to consider what intake you want.
If you would like to go carbureted see if you can get heads that are drilled and threaded for LA type intakes.
As far as I know there is only one decent choice for the Magnum style intake bolts.
With the LA style, there are tons of choices.

I got my OE cam reground at Oregon Cam Grinders.
It was only about $125 plus the shipping.
Of course with a regrind you will need longer pushrods.

The OE cam doesn’t have the provision for a mechanical fuel pump, but you can get a kit to add it if you want to use the LA timing cover and water pump instead of the serpentine system.

I went LA style with everything because I had the LA 318 that came out.

IMG_4899.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

Really great advice above so I won't repeat it. You'll be very happy with a 5.9.

Like @TrailBeast I kept the v-belt front end for the old school look. I went with Edelbrock 2.02 heads, Air Gap intake and 650 AVS carb. Also sent my cam to Oregon Cam Grinders for a regrind.

5.9's are externally balanced sp you'll need the correct flexplate (I used the donor flexplate) and sourced an aftermarket harmonic balancer for a 5.9.

Here's a FABO "How-to" with great information.

Diy - Magnum Swap!!

Ditto the above. Trailbeast made a really good post on the engines use after swap.

If you’re NOT using the computer, do what he said. I also used a 5.9 in a older car and added in;

Edelbrock electric fuel pump for carburetors. No regulator needed.
Edelbrock RPM AG & 750 carb
Headers.
MP distributor & Chrome box

This is a solid 300hp engine.

And as everyone said, anything attached to the engine, take it.

All great advice, thanks everyone.

If the heads are cracked are there any alternatives besides the pricey edelbrock aluminums? Can J heads from an LA be reworked to fit, or is that a headache?

I have a 2001 Ram with the 5.9L, It runs great! I got it about 100,000 miles, now it's at 215,000. I still have 50-60 psi oil pressure. Great engine.
Now the body of the truck that's another story... Ha

If the heads are cracked are there any alternatives besides the pricey edelbrock aluminums? Can J heads from an LA be reworked to fit, or is that a headache?
The cracks in the heads appear in between the valves and actually do not effect the engine and n a negative way. As much as people jump under and down on this and other sites about running cracked heads, the Magnum heads crack prone areas being in between the valves is a spot where there is no coolant and performance doesn’t suffer a measurable amount.

But as the internet says, who outs cracked heads on a fresh new build. To this end, I am one of those idiots s that have done so and without any issues. Say what you will, there was nothing noticeable engine performance issue.

The Edelbrock heads offer the best bolt on bang for the buck behind the Trick Flow heads which cost more but are superior.
Then there are the Chink knock off castings and rebuilt units which are a gamble if not done by a good shop.

If your looking to make a hot rod engine, IMO, in the following order from best power performance head to last is listed below.

Trick flow
Edelbrock
Aussie cast “EQ heads”
Quality home refurbishment of the OEM head
Chink knockoff

Since the Magnum block has no provisions to oil the LA head, there are two was to do it and as said above, NOT cheap, IMO, stick with the Magnum head which is a better performing head as cast.

However, the two ways to oil an LA head on a Magnum block is to purchase a specific set of roller rockers that allow pushrod oiling and then (probably) purchase new pushrods that are hollow so they can oil the rockers and such. Comp Cams is one manufacturer that has these rockers. I forget who else has them.

The other way is to drill the LA head from two directions and relieve one vertical hole to oil the shaft. The other drilled hole at the rear of the head is tapped to an oil line coming from the oil pressure sending units hole which is of course, “T’ed” off since the other head needs to be feed oil. This is easy on aluminum heads and pretty hard on iron heads to drill out.

This modification is actually show here on FABO just recently and a ways in the past.

For WIW, IMO, ether stick with the OWM head and live with the performance it can deliver or step up to an aluminum head since it would be worth the entry price easily. There actually not that expensive but a waste of the engine is near stock in its build.

On a budget? OEM iron heads.
Hot rodding? Aluminum heads.

"5.9"... Pfft... I'm so tired of everything being converted to metric BS.
I grew up on CUBIC INCHES not "liters".
It's still a 360!!!!!

"5.9"... Pfft... I'm so tired of everything being converted to metric BS.
I grew up on CUBIC INCHES not "liters".
It's still a 360!!!!!
*pushes up glasses* technically it's 359.90 cubic inches

all kidding aside it's an easy way to delineate an LA 360 from a magnum, so that's helpful.

i'll echo the others here. it can be done, but not really worth it*.

the magnum head is already a great package on that motor, and performs better than the stock LA head. when you add the complications and the cost into the conversion it's just not worth it.

stock or a little warmed up? keep the stock heads and work 'em just a little.
wanna party? get something aftermarket.

*i can see where there exists a world in which you could score a ridiculous deal on some worked eddie or TF heads and intake that are take offs from somebody's project, and in this world i would maybe, possibly, consider doing the conversion.

Perfect. Yeah I got stalled on the progress of purchasing because the guy pulled the ad but it's now back on. $600 and should be able to strip it down to run a decent carb/intake, add headers and then start shopping a 904 transmission and new rear end.

Not sure I can sell my slant 6/904 combo for anything, but it does have factory A/C compressor so maybe worth something.

There are people out there that would buy that /6. Maybe not today but I don't think you'll have that much problem finding a buyer.

If reusing the heads then give them a good once over. You may find cracks at the valve seats but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Hughes 1110 springs are a good choice for upgrade and contact Oregon Cams for a regrind if you want to go that route.

-
Back