200R4 update

-
What does something like this cost? Just a tranny swap. Can they be put behind a slant 6 and would the stock rear hold up to it?

It would depend on if they already make an adaptor for it. If not the cost goes up even more. I'd check with wilcap

That's funny I came across this thread! Very interesting because I've thought about this years ago. I think I even made post a about this a long while back. I had seen a lot of guys running A-518s and cutting the tunnel to make it fit and decide about 200r4 since it was smaller the A-518. And a hell of a lot cheaper then running a Keisler trans.

This is very cool!!!! Nice job!!!

Looks great but I thought hearing the screaming exhaust at 4,500 on the freeway was half the fun, lol

True the power street pump isn't too happy and neither is my gas money

Seems like its only worth it if you drive the car alot on the freeways, my manual trans 904 is nice - simple and cheap.

What about running a manual valve body so no trans cable to the carb ? I don't mind shifting my trans all the time

I drive this car a lot. It is a 500hp daily driver for the most part. A 408 wouldn't last a month at those high constant rpm's. I didn't want a manual valve body. I have a very nice ratchet shifter and can manually shift if I want, but in highway or traffic I am happier letting it do it's thing. And it gets better mileage that way. Since I tuned it up I run about 6 mpg, so I'll take any gain I can get. Your 904 is nice, as was mine, but in the end it is only a 3 speed. I have 4.10 gears and needed another gear, plus the 200R4 is better geared all through. I have spent a ton of money on this car, and this upgrade is by far the best thing I spent my money on next to the big motor. It is well worth it whether driving on the highway or not. I recommend it to anyone.

What about running a manual valve body so no trans cable to the carb?

I've been considering the same trans for my build for some time now. I talked directly with Art Carr a couple of years ago and he told me a manual valve body was available for the 200R4 tranny. I talked with him again about six months ago and he told me it's not available.
Give Art a call at California Performance Transmissions (800-278-2277) and let us know what he tells you.
Years ago I drove my old '69 340 Swinger on the street with a 727 w/reverse pattern manual shift valve body and 4.89 gears on the street and loved it. Of course, that was in the land of 36-cent per gallon premium gas. Now I'd still like to have a reverse pattern manual shift 200R4 and some decent gears in my "new" '69 Dart.

Lenny from Extreme Automatics built me a 200r4 with a reverse manual valve body back in March of this year. Have not had enough time to put it in yet.

Lenny from Extreme Automatics built me a 200r4 with a reverse manual valve body back in March of this year. Have not had enough time to put it in yet.

Do you mean Lonnie? Good guy. He built the 2004r in my car and I love it.

Quick question, the cut/folded pinch at the front of the tunnel:

Was that because the dual bolt pattern bellhousing is too large or because of the filler tube?

I was looking at that and its making me think of going the 700r4 route if the duall pattern bellhousing is an issue(yes i know worse gearing), but the auto tranny for my car temporary anyways. Gonna go stick down the road after i Axe the T-bars.

The pinch weld was for the dipstick tube, and as it turns out, it cleared anyway. If you go with a 700R4, you are still getting a good transmission, no question. You will just have to be prepared to make a lot of tunnel mods. I didn't want that, and that was the number one reason I chose the 200R4.

I ended up calling Wilcap then a couple months ago and he said he's made a few slant 6 to 200r4 adapter plates but there isn't a very high demand for them. He said he might make a few just to have on hand cause another guy had emailed him about on the same day I called him. If I remember right he said the price would be around $600-650, can't remember if that includes the modified mini starter or not.

Wilcap wanted $575 at the time mine was being done. The TCI was $100 less but I had to cut it. Cutting was a pain, but for the money I would probably do it again. Plus, it ended up being the shape I wanted it to be. I mounted everything and then sprayed paint to create the outline. Billet is hard to cut but it ended up very nice.

You don't want to know. If I tune it down and run pump gas and drive it nice I get around 10 mpg. When I tune it up and run race gas and drive it like I normally do, which is like a f-ing nut, I get 4-5 mpg. You don't build a 500hp beast and worry about gas mileage. If that's a concern, you need to buy a new Dart. I built this to be fast, and fuel cost was never even thought of.

You don't want to know. If I tune it down and run pump gas and drive it nice I get around 10 mpg. When I tune it up and run race gas and drive it like I normally do, which is like a f-ing nut, I get 4-5 mpg. You don't build a 500hp beast and worry about gas mileage. If that's a concern, you need to buy a new Dart. I built this to be fast, and fuel cost was never even thought of.

That's pretty horrendous mileage. I read the entire thread and didn't find what cam and specs you are running. Must have a crapload of overlap.
Thanks for the great post.

don't know if i'll bother with the 518rh i have now but that does seem kinda low. Guys with more power doing alot better than that.
Don't get me wrong this is in no way a post bashing, i really admire what you've done

-
Back