2176 help ASAP

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
We are putting a 2176 on my 74 Dart 318. It doesn't seem to want to sit down all the way. There are pins going through the intake gasket on the block. One in front and one in the rear. Do I need to pull out or cut off those pins? Or if it's something else please help. My brother is only here til tomorrow morning and we gotta wrap this up. Thanks

Yes, those pins are for the mating holes in the stock manifold, which the 2176 does not have. Either pull them out completely, or drill some oversized recesses in the 2176. The pins don't really do anything for you unless the intake is precisely machined to mate up to them, so removal is the popular solution.

We are putting a 2176 on my 74 Dart 318. It doesn't seem to want to sit down all the way. There are pins going through the intake gasket on the block. One in front and one in the rear. Do I need to pull out or cut off those pins? Or if it's something else please help. My brother is only here til tomorrow morning and we gotta wrap this up. Thanks

Look at the bottom of the intake and see if there are clearance holes for the pins, if not pull the ones out of the block or drill some yourself...

Yes, those pins are for the mating holes in the stock manifold, which the 2176 does not have. Either pull them out completely, or drill some oversized recesses in the 2176. The pins don't really do anything for you unless the intake is precisely machined to mate up to them, so removal is the popular solution.

I like the pins to help keep the end gaskets from moving...

I like the pins to help keep the end gaskets from moving...
Agreed.... I do too. But any clearance holes in a new intake need to be oversized so the pins don't dislocate the intake versus where they want to settle against the heads.

Agreed.... I do too. But any clearance holes in a new intake need to be oversized so the pins don't dislocate the intake versus where they want to settle against the heads.

Yes, extra clearance helps with the pin holes in the intake, that way the position can float a little and you can get away with it... Basic GD&T...

On that manifold, I just put one on my 318, they say remove the pins and use silicon on both ends instead of the end gaskets. I did mine about a month ago and it works.

as said by all - remove the pins. And I would add -- read the instructions paying attention to page 3 http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/350/350-2176.pdf

Thanks all. I read the replies earlier but have had my hands full all day. Pulled the pins and got it on. Should have it wrapped up tomorrow if the weather holds off

Another option if you want to retain the pins to hold the gaskets in place, is to cut the pins down so they only stick out a quarter high as the gasket is thick.....just enough for the gasket to be held in place.

Another option if you want to retain the pins to hold the gaskets in place, is to cut the pins down so they only stick out a quarter high as the gasket is thick.....just enough for the gasket to be held in place.
negative sir - you don't use the end gaskets with that intake - per page 3, line 4 of instructions

negative sir - you don't use the end gaskets with that intake - per page 3, line 4 of instructions
The cork end gaskets work fine with my son's Performer intake on his 340. Edelbrock heads; block decked about .016".

I hope it all starts up well for the OP; he has been working on things for quite a while.

The reason they don't want you to use the end gasket cause they could move as you place manifold on block without having the pin to hold them in. If you glue them in they may stay in place, but the silicon works well.

I cut the pins down and then made a matching recess on the underside of the manifolds ends. Works fine. I am sure the silicon works fine as so many folks have such good success.

Doesn't Edelbrock mention the removing of the pins in the instructions?

Pins, Silicone ? What is this we speak of ?

No pins, The Right Stuff, now you're talking.

Ehhhh, well ya know how it goes, what is old is new again and there are new guys to the hobby that don't know what us long timers forget and do automatically.

I agree that small detail should be in the instructions. Swore they were! I Read it somewhere!

Ehhhh, well ya know how it goes, what is old is new again and there are new guys to the hobby that don't know what us long timers forget and do automatically.

I agree that small detail should be in the instructions. Swore they were! I Read it somewhere!
I remember the first one I ever did - didn't know those pins would come out - "well, now WTF do I do?"...

-
Back