.22 Ammo

-

'73red-duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here lately, almost every time I walk into our Academy Sports store, (Springfield, Mo.) I've found .22 Ammo. I've bought CCI, and Winchester. Good stuff, and not overpriced. They do limit you to 2 boxes. Maybe it's starting to loosen up some.

I hope so, I haven't been able to get my hands on a single box in a year around here.

- Dan

I work the Gun Bar at Academy. We sell 60-80,000 rounds of 22LR a day, if we have it. And yes, it is starting to loosen up. This is in a town of 100K people.

We picked up some in Branson at bass pro. 555 winchester's for 32.00 and 325 federal's for 18.00. There is still people around here buying them at auction for 80.00 for 500 rounds, that's just seems crazy to me. We held out the most I paid was 30.00 for 400 rounds(40 per box). You have to watch buying them by the box I've seen several that are just 40 rounds instead of 50 a quick look they look like the same box.

Picked up a couple boxes of Remington 525 counts for $21 a box.

.............2 boxes of .22 is not "loosening up." That stuff should be the most plentiful ammo in the US. Christ, when I was young, if you showed up in the "back 40" on a Saturday with only 2 boxes of 22, we'd have thrown stuff at you in disgust and then went home.

Offhand I'd say the govt has finally gained control of the people. Since you cannot reload .22 you are done.

Biggest problem with the supply and demand thing is that when the government was buying up mass quanitiies of 9mm, .40 and .45ACP rounds, the ammo makers had to honor those orders first. Every available line that was tooled up for these rounds was running. Once big brother's appetite was satisfied, they could start working on refilling the shelves for normal consumers. Since a box of these rounds is more profitable for them than a box of .22LR shells, they continued to run these calibers to get the supply back up! Now that these are more readily available and they are catching up, they have started making .22LR rounds again too.

Jeez, I guess I'd better start dumping some of the .22 I've been hoarding before the price comes back down.

the last brick of peters lead heads I bought was 20 bucks that's 500 rounds .

I watched it go up and up and once I got to a point where I couldn't get them for less them 10 cents a round I scraped up all my pennies and bought a 12 gauge for plinking

.............2 boxes of .22 is not "loosening up." That stuff should be the most plentiful ammo in the US. Christ, when I was young, if you showed up in the "back 40" on a Saturday with only 2 boxes of 22, we'd have thrown stuff at you in disgust and then went home.

Offhand I'd say the govt has finally gained control of the people. Since you cannot reload .22 you are done.

As I understand, the reason for the 2 box limit, is because of pawn shops, and gun show dealers going in and buying it up. They take it back to their shops, or gun shows and jack the price up. I bought a box of 325 at Bass Pro for $17, and then saw it that weekend at a gun show for $45. At least Academy, and Bass Pro did not take advantage of the situation. They may not always have it, but when the do, it's still priced reasonable. My brother in law lives in Colorado. He bought some at one of the large, Bass Pro like stores, and paid double what I bought it for here.

I can not seem to find ANY .22 ammo anywhere local to me, they tell me its supply and demand, the day the shipment comes in, its GONE within minutes of being on the shelves!

WHY tho? What the hell gives, its a damned 22 riffle or pistol......??????

I do not get it!!!

A wall-mart employee explained it to me. She said the same few people are there at 7am and buy it when they have it. Then they put it on the internet and double or triple the price. They bring their wives and kids and beat the limits with more people buying the max limit allowed.:wack:

I just go to the gun shows and but them there. Last time I went I bought 3 500 round bricks for 8 bucks each.

I was told at the local Gun Shop that its the demand..... these companies making the Ammo is making something like a MILLION rounds a DAY. And out of all of them General, Winchester, and the rest, can not keep up with the demand on .22 Long Riffle bullets...

I (for the life of me) can not understand why as American's we need to "stash" that much 22 ammo.....I can think of 100 BETTER guns to use incase we would need something in a attack!!!

Sure the 22 is fun to target practice and such, HELL, its the first gun my daughter has ever shot! And is being taught to target practice with, but that many bullets in need for that wouldn't equal up to a million rounds a day!

It's a lot easier to stash ammo that is $5/6 a box, than $20 and up. Also, I may take my .22's out to target practice, and shoot a couple hundred rounds. Not likely to do that very often with my .45. But as said earlier, the main reason as said before, is the same people going in an buying all they can to re-sell it.

I haven't check in a while but it was real bad by us I settled on a box of Remington Thunderbolt. What absolute garbage.
My Ruger was choking on them so bad I stopped shooting it.

-AlV

It is the zombie apocalypse people. They think it will be like currency if the world does????????? what ever they think it will do. I don't understand it much. Would rather have a shotgun as you can actually hit some thing with that. But anyway......

can .22 ammo go bad? I have 4 boxes of "federal ammunition brand" that I got around 8 years ago. There are a few loaded clips for a 10-22 and the rest of the boxes are unopened and have been sitting in a closet. Do you think they are still good after sitting that long.

I used to shoot for target practice because I am in a rural area and I have space to shoot on my own land but I am not really into guns and hunting, and I don't like getting beat up by the .22. dang thing bruises my shoulder and works me over. so all that stuff has just been sitting for years.

Rani, the .22 shells I've got RIGHT NOW is 20 years old, if they're that young! I shot about 100 rounds of it about 3 weeks ago, and it still a dead shot and has never given me an issue.....BUT, these were .22 long riffle shot, AND not just a copper projectile but also the lead ones too. (My gun is a bolt action, with a 12 shot clip), 13 shots with one in the chamber. Not a single jam on the action......Can shoot a 3 inch circle target respectively, without issue. Done several times.

I get email notifications when certain types of .22 ammo are in stock, but normally in 15 minutes it's sold out. Luckily I have about 20k rounds of .22 on hand "just in case". I only buy if it's a certain type of round that I need.

-
Back