24 Hours of Lemons

-

383Duster

Reaction score
I went to the above race today in Decatur (just outside of Dallas about 70 miles) and this 65 Barracuda was there. Rusty car from Fl, they had a 340 in it with a 4 speed. The team said this was there first race with it and they just wanted something different (you get bonus points for having something different).
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Attachments

• 24 Hours of Lemons 053.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 555
  • 24 Hours of Lemons 056.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 547
This was the craziest car there, a Renault Dauphine with a Taurus SHO V6 with an automatic trans mounted where the back seat used to be.

Attachments

• 24 Hours of Lemons 092.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 497
Now this is where the fun really begins.

That's my car!! Stroked 340, 4 speed, BB torsion, super stocker rear springs.
Sadly the firewall fractured at the MC so the clutch was acting up and we lost third gear. We finished the 24 hours of LeMons and won the C class. Happy MOPAR Day indeed.

400297_10150448080454495_36766739494_8870076_924708327_n.jpg

It's the 24 hours of lemons: A 15-16 hour endurance race for cars valued at under 500 dollars. Sometime, indiscretions are overlooked if you donate toys for tots or to some other charity. Our entry is obviously worth over 500 dollars but it is in the spirit of the race. The newer cars are scrutinized much more closely. It's a blast! All of our parts were used and came off other cars. New parts are frowned on. We did replace the carburetor during the race after two failures on two different carburetors.

We had a blast!
www.24hoursoflemons.com

race for cars valued at under 500 dollars. Sometime, indiscretions are overlooked if you donate toys for tots or to some other charity. Our entry is obviously worth over 500 dollarshttp://www.24hoursoflemons.com

Hm, ya, I was gonna say, that looks to be worth far more than 500, even if you don't count labor.

Sounds like fun.

Pull those headlight rings and sell them. They'll finance a fair amount of racing and make someone else very happy! Trade 'em for a pair that's "experienced"!

CMP-Fury-1280px-52.jpg

This is the 62 Fury we ran in NC last Feb. Tons of body roll - fast in the straights - brakes cooked.

340/727/3.23 rear end

Im in man, just got to get rid of my kids...OK, see you all in 15 years! Ill probably still have my '65, but $500 is a little short. I hear POS RX-7's dominate, or is that some other POS class race? How many points for showing up in a Yugo that actually runs? And who said lake pipes are tacky, I think they look pretty KewL!

looks like a lot of fun, is it aggressive on the track? even though my car is a total POS i would hate to have it wrecked. i see the next race for north east is in may 2012...something to consider!

Those cars are full of character!

I used to work for a company that participated in these races...here is a car they used one time. (They are mostly a Mitsubishi shop) :burnout:

There is a strict no contact rule. It happens, but as a rule there is no rubbing. Most of the carnage is due to engines exploding. Bring something old and cool and you won't get sweated too much. Be careful on your cheaty motors. The judges are fairly savvy and can. They love to see home made engineering. What the heck, if they give you 10-12 penalty laps, you still get to race 16-24 hours for 500 bucks.

That never happens anymore. You have really be a tool to have enough votes to get your car crushed. It use to be common but not so much nowadays. I think it's been two years since the rules changed to get your car crushed. Now you have to get 50% of the votes cast against you to get your car destroyed. But, remember this is real racing and your car can be destroyed in an instant by your bad driving or the guy next to you. It happens and you can't get mad about it, it's just racing.

b

The Finish (Swedish ?) have a race like this, and at any time if you think your competitor has too much money in there car you can buy it from them for a set price. Something like $1500.

That keeps you really honest.

-
Back