25-2700 stall, PTC converter, mostly street

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Okay guys, my question is due to an experience a buddy of mine had with his build. (He's got a '62 Econoline pickup) He has beautifully restored the entire rig, rebuilt the engine and tranny, 9" ford, etc. The torque converter he had built is a 3000 rpm high stall. Long story short, it is coming out in favor of a lower stall speed. He says its not very street friendly, and hard on tires!

My concern is about my new build. It's a 360 / 904 with what PTC says will stall at 25-2,700 RPMs. Does it look like I'm going to have a similar complaint as my buddy with the econoline?

Thanks

I think you will be happy IF you gave PTC the correct information, and intended use.
25 -2700 sounds perfect for a mild 360. Don't know the rest of your combo, but sounds like a 3:23 gear would make a healthy streeter.

I've had 2 PTC converters, and been satisfied. I just keep wanting to turn up the wick on stall for racing.

What brand converter was his Mark? If it was made by another mfg. it could react totally differently than yours. You should see the piece of garbage Boss Hog 3200 stall converter I have sitting here. It's so sloppy built it probably slipped a whole bunch making for terrible street manners. At the same time I took the Boss Hog converter to my converter guy I took my PTC to have a new snout put on it and have it flushed. He cut it open and flushed it out and said it was really well built, completely opposite the Boss Hog. As I said when you were initially asking about a converter my PTC stalled 3500 and my car drove fantastic.

I've had 3 different PTC convertors in the past. Never a problem. Excellent convertors and great staff on their end. As stated above, as long as PTC was given the correct information with the complete car set up you should be golden.

if you were 100% honest about the combo and intended use of your vehicle you shoul dbe very happy with the converter they built for you.

biggest issue i see when people order converters is they they are not totally honest r complete with the information they give the company building it.

Okay guys, my question is due to an experience a buddy of mine had with his build. (He's got a '62 Econoline pickup) He has beautifully restored the entire rig, rebuilt the engine and tranny, 9" ford, etc. The torque converter he had built is a 3000 rpm high stall. Long story short, it is coming out in favor of a lower stall speed. He says its not very street friendly, and hard on tires!

My concern is about my new build. It's a 360 / 904 with what PTC says will stall at 25-2,700 RPMs. Does it look like I'm going to have a similar complaint as my buddy with the econoline?

Thanks

You haven't supplied enough information about your combination for anyone to tell you what should have for a stall. Your converter supplier needs to know everything about your engine build, rear axle ratio, tire size etc. Without all this he's just guessing as to what you should have. Email me [Please use the PM feature for exchanging Email], and I'll email you back the spec sheet that was used at the converter shop I previously worked at.

New converters are a far cry from the old ones.

Old 3000 stall converters would act like stepping on a marshmellow down low. Mushy, sluggish.

Well designed new ones are tighter when driving and still flash to a higher speed when you hit the go pedal.

Lots of guys go from old style 3000 stall, to a new 3700 stall and their highway RPM goes DOWN with the new higher stall converter.

New converters are a far cry from the old ones.

Old 3000 stall converters would act like stepping on a marshmellow down low. Mushy, sluggish.

Well designed new ones are tighter when driving and still flash to a higher speed when you hit the go pedal.

Lots of guys go from old style 3000 stall, to a new 3700 stall and their highway RPM goes DOWN with the new higher stall converter.

Converter builder STILL needs all the information. Why guess, when with the right information, the correct converter can be obtained for his setup.

Thanks guys, my level of confidence has been restored! As far as the specs go, PTC got everything they needed prior to building the converter. (360 4bbl, 904 tranny, 323 gears, a-body, intended use, etc)

I don't know what company built the torque converter for my buddy's Econoline, but I doubt it was PTC. But when I heard of his disappointments, I got a little concerned. And just to clarify, I already have the new converter, just about ready to install it.

Thanks for all your comments

-
Back