26 inch on a Duster?

-

HP2

Reaction score
Will a 26" rear tire fit on my 71 Duster or will I have to modify the front opening of the quarter panels?
What drag radials do you run on your Dusters/Demons?

A 28 will fit, it will just be close to the front of the wheel well.

@72bluNblu can help real fast on this.
Also check out the thread(s) on tire fit. A lot of members have posted about there wheel and tire combinations. The best posts also contain wheel back spacing size in inches.

A lot of members have a 275/60/15 rear tire. Wheel back spacing is 4 or 4-1/2 inches. This you need to check. But the tire fits. It is 28 inches in diameter.

28's fit, I put a 1/2-5/8's spacers in between the front leaf mount for a little extra space...

I ran 28" (275/60r15) no problem. I have 26" (235/60r15) now. offset of rim plays a big part

26” should fit easily in the back as long as the wheel/tire is actually in the wheel well and not hanging out of the quarters. It shouldn’t even require centering up the axle. I have 295/35/18’s on my Duster which are 26.1” tall, although my spring set up pushes the axle back about a 1/2”.

Anything up to 28’s should work, but as others have already pointed out when you get up past 27” you have to center the axle in the wheel opening.

Last edited:
28's fit, I put a 1/2-5/8's spacers in between the front leaf mount for a little extra space...
28 was what I was thinking, not 26 as I wrote. Sorry all!
Moving axle back a little by spacing the leaf mounts sounds like a good idea.

I just tried a M/T ET Street 295/55-15 which is approximately 27.8" and it was tight but will work. And it will work even better if I can move the springs back some.

I just tried a M/T ET Street 295/55-15 which is approximately 27.8" and it was tight but will work. And it will work even better if I can move the springs back some.
IMG_20181125_180125.jpg

You can see the aluminum spacer..
I used longer grade 8 nuts and bolts...

-
Back