273 - 318 swap

-

FODOIMP

Reaction score
Just curious if all of the accessories (alternator bracket, power steering pump brackets, exhaust manifolds) will interchange between a 273 and 318. Thanks

As long as they use the same vintage water pump and timing chain cover.

The 64 - 69 with the cast iron water pump.

If the 318 is a 70 or later you can put the timing chain cover and cast iron water pump on it. You will just have to keep the 318's vibration damper and mark where tdc is on the damper in relation to the older timing chain cover (they will be 90° off).

No problem.

Just curious if all of the accessories (alternator bracket, power steering pump brackets, exhaust manifolds) will interchange between a 273 and 318. Thanks

67 back 273 has a smaller hub on the torque convertor so you might need the special made bushing to get the trans to mount up.

That's the exact info I was looking for. Thanks guys. The tranny is getting swapped too. Was behind a 360 and was told to knock the weight off and I should be fine.

Yeah the trans is the thing I found out the hard way. My 67 had a 273 (already pulled) and I dropped in a later 318. Used the 318 timing cover with the 273 iron water pump. Works fine, a bit harder to see the timing marks but I had no problem setting with a timing light.

-
Back