273 Supercharged...ITS HAPPENING PEOPLE!!

-

chrissock

Reaction score
To start.. I know this is not a popular build. That's why I'm doing it... I know I could get a 360 and do some minor stuff and make the same if not more HP. I know... But whats the fun in that??

I have a stockish 273 that was a good running engine from a buddy that is going 410. He gave me this motor when I purchased his 8 3/4 rear and some other goodies. I finally got it home and looked it over and its in really good shape internally. It looks like it was rebuilt not long ago and the cross hatching is still on the cylinder walls. At this point Im not going to go through it because frankly I don't think i need to. The Cam has been changed. I haven't done any measuring to find out what it is but that is my plan. I found an older aluminum Edelbrock performer intake for it cheap at a swap meet. I was lucky enough to do some work for a local Mopar guy who had a complete Fast fuel injection system that we worked into the payment. Along with rebuilding the heads.

I picked up the heads today and he did the full work up on these heads. All new comp double springs and really good guides and seals. In our conversation I mentioned wanting to supercharge it someday. MAN DID HE LIGHT UP!!! To make a long story short we worked out a deal. And now I have a supercharger heading my way! Paxton Novi 1500 to be exact.

He is builds a kit for the magnum motors and expressed an interest in wanting to do an LA version. He builds them from billet and tweaks some of the poor design spots in the Paxton Kit. So I am loaning him my motor and some extra time so that he can work out the kit for future sale. (Ill take pics when its done)

I also was planning a 904 but decided to let him do a 727 for extra strength. So all said and done the car will be a 1971 Dart Swinger with a Fuel injected, Paxton supercharged 273, in front of a built 727 and 8 3/4 rear. Not bad stats. After final tune and 5psi of pressure I would love to see 400 to the wheels. Might not make it but hey its a goal. I will try to post pictures along the way and we will see where this thing goes! I have a bunch of questions about accessory pulleys because to complicate all this I am going to keep the AC and Power steering!

Does anyone have any or could post some pictures of the AC brackets and Power steering brackets on an LA car?

Sounds like a fun 'dare to be different' build - love it!
(And love that you're keeping AC and PS, too)

Keep us posted!

I always hoped someone would do what you're doing. Great plan! Subscribed!

Sis ribbed. I Have a nice 318 that would be awesome as heck with a Paxton blower on it.
Darned spell anticipator........lol.

Sounds like a fun build, I look forward to progress updates.

Just one question. the FAST EFI you're going to use. is it a EZ series or XFI series?

From memory FAST don't recommend using the EZ series for forced induction, they may even deem it "not suitable". You may want to check on this.

A lot of "plug and play" self tuning EFI systems are only tuneable through a method known as Alpha-N which means it uses the throttle position and RPM inputs to determine engine load and in-turn the user can define the fuel/ignition settings. Some are even fuel only!

More advanced (and pricey!) kits like the FAST XFI systems are able to additionally use the intake's MAP sensor and/or an airflow meter/s parameters to accurately tune the correct fuel/ignition tables for forced induction.

Awesome!!
Having a race spec 273 in my newly built Barracuda, I totally understand wanting to do what your doing and can't wait to see your progress.

Just one question. the FAST EFI you're going to use. is it a EZ series or XFI series?

From memory FAST don't recommend using the EZ series for forced induction, they may even deem it "not suitable". You may want to check on this.

A lot of "plug and play" self tuning EFI systems are only tuneable through a method known as Alpha-N which means it uses the throttle position and RPM inputs to determine engine load and in-turn the user can define the fuel/ignition settings. Some are even fuel only!

More advanced (and pricey!) kits like the FAST XFI systems are able to additionally use the intake's MAP sensor and/or an airflow meter/s parameters to accurately tune the correct fuel/ignition tables for forced induction.

To be completely honest I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking it is the EZ series. I'll do some more digging and figure this out. Thanks!

The FAST 2.0 has the option to use boost. Just the regular FAST controller doesn't like it.

Anxious to see this build...Back in the dayI had a 273 with dome pistons,Racer Brown Cam, duel AFB 4 Barrels and 4 speed in a 65 Dart.Car was a rocket for it's size.

Love the underhood sleeper factor of a paxton. Put 273 BADGES ON IT,AND CRANK UP THE BOOST...Gonna spoil somebodies day.

-
Back