275/35-18 Front Fitment Question - Attn 72BB and GDart

-
Very nice work! Only a purist would notice it, and only if they were looking for it.

Thanks, that was the idea.

It looks like a ton of room to the bottom front corner, but it barely clears when the wheels are turned.

For a comparison, the picture above with the tape measure is with the wheel turned to the same angle as this picture where you can barely see the gap between the tire and the fender:

Attachments

• P82A0379s.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 265
18x9 w/ 24mm offset is 5.95" backspacing. That is not quite enough. That backspace will work in an 8" wheel, but not a 9" wheel.

I just remembered something, in January I also test fit a 18x9 with 5.95" backspace on my car with the 245/40-18 and the fender sat on the edge of the tire. With 3/16" less track width per side it still would not have cleared.

For reference: Here is a picture of a '65 Barracuda (Max's car) where we test fit a 18x8 with a 245/40-18. This wheel has 5.95" backspacing. Not really a good comparison, this is a car with a RMS front suspension. I believe the track on the RMS is 1/8" wider per side than the '73 up disc brake suspension. Max is currently limited to a 225 section width on a 17" wheel because of tie rod clearance, the 18" wheel solves that problem.

Attachments

• img_09111s.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 275
How do you guys think a 18x9.5 would fit on the front of a duster with a 275/35? The offset is 40mm making it 6.82 backspacing

How do you guys think a 18x9.5 would fit on the front of a duster with a 275/35? The offset is 40mm making it 6.82 backspacing

If the offset were 30mm it should fit. You might need tubular UCA's to clear the inside lip of the rim, I did with my 18x9's and 30mm offset.

But an offset of 40 won't work, it'll be well into the frame.

Uchoog runs 18x9.5 with 285/35/18 on his Duster. Think his bs is 45mm though.

But an offset of 40 won't work, it'll be well into the frame.

Depends on the suspension and brake package. I have 18x9 35mm on my car. I have Dr. Diff's 13" brake package. That spaces it out farther than the '73-'76 spindle / brake combo so that needs more backspace to compensate. I think a 18x9.5 with a 40mm offset and a 1/8" spacer would work well on mine. That would put me just under 37mm offset though in reality. But that is what I would do on a 18x9.5, I would go 40mm and adjust with a thin spacer because that puppy is going to be tight!

Uchoog runs 18x9.5 with 285/35/18 on his Duster. Think his bs is 45mm though.

You would be correct. And he clearanced the fenders a tad. But that makes him even closer to the frame than me. So his bs is 7.2 which is almost a half inch closer to the frame than I would be. But he is running viper caliper and disc I believe. What does this mean for me?

I should also mention that they have the same 18x9.5 in 15mm offset which is 5.84BS or 38mm which is 6.75 if any of this makes the situation better

I have 18x9's with a 35mm offset too. But since I also have DrDiff's 13" brake kit, I list my offset at 30mm because that's the effective backspace with my brakes compared to stock.

As far as the 45mm offset on 18x9.5's, I'm guessing thats with AndyF's old viper caliper conversion. That kit moved the rotors out a 1/2" compared to stock. Regardless, unless something is really strange about Uhcoog1's car, there's some kind of additional offset in there somewhere. That's why its so important to know the entire set up, not just the rim offset. An 18x9.5 with 45mm offset would be a 1/2" into the frame on my car.

**Edit**

Uhcoog1's car has a 14.25" Viper caliper kit that came from Dr. Diff. I'm almost positive that was AndyF's kit, and looking up what I can find that kit had nearly a .75" offset compared to stock. That would basically reduce that 45mm offset to 26mm.

I have 18x9's with a 35mm offset too. But since I also have DrDiff's 13" brake kit, I list my offset at 30mm because that's the effective backspace with my brakes compared to stock.

As far as the 45mm offset on 18x9.5's, I'm guessing thats with AndyF's old viper caliper conversion. That kit moved the rotors out a 1/2" compared to stock. Regardless, unless something is really strange about Uhcoog1's car, there's some kind of additional offset in there somewhere. That's why its so important to know the entire set up, not just the rim offset. An 18x9.5 with 45mm offset would be a 1/2" into the frame on my car.

**Edit**

Uhcoog1's car has a 14.25" Viper caliper kit that came from Dr. Diff. I'm almost positive that was AndyF's kit, and looking up what I can find that kit had nearly a .75" offset compared to stock. That would basically reduce that 45mm offset to 26mm.

I appreciate this help! If I was to use that brake kit, would that put me into the fender?

From what I've read on Uhcoog1's car he's all the way out at the fender with his tire, so a 40mm offset would probably be tight with that brake kit. He'd be the person to ask!

BUT- I don't think that 14.25" viper kit is available anymore. I know the 13" version, which I believe used the same hubs, is no longer made.

Honestly, I don't know how cool that set of rims you found is, but it would be a lot easier to find a set of rims that fit the car. Either that or you'll need to find a brake kit that increases the track width by about 10mm. DrDiff's 13" Cobra kit only increases the track width about 5mm, so you'd still need a spacer. The wilwood kits vary by application, some increase the track width by up to a 1/4" (6.3mm), but some are 0 offset and a few even decrease the track width up to a 1/4".

I was autocrossing with a member yesterday and he had 18x10 Mustang wheels with 265/35/18's all the way around on his '67 Valiant. He utilizes Dr Diffs 11" discs up front. The only difference was that he was running an 8.8 differential out back. He also has a body guy that was able to pull his rear fenders out about 2" using a pneumatic cylinder. It looked really nice.

Not sure what the 11" rotor kit is, Dr. Diff offers the stock rotors which are 10.95" or the larger later rotors with are 11.75". With 18's I'm guessing its probably the 11.75" kit. In either case, those are stock rotors so the offset doesn't change.

265/35/18 would be a little short for my liking. That's only a 25.3" tall tire. The 275/35/18's are as short as I like to go, and those are 25.6" tall. I almost went with a 255/40/18 because that's a 26" tall tire. But the 295/35/18's on the back of my car limited my tire choices a little, and the tire I wanted didn't come in a 255/40/18.

I am fine with going with 255 in front with 18x8.5 just wanted the widest tire for autocross

Not sure what the 11" rotor kit is, Dr. Diff offers the stock rotors which are 10.95" or the larger later rotors with are 11.75". With 18's I'm guessing its probably the 11.75" kit. In either case, those are stock rotors so the offset doesn't change.

265/35/18 would be a little short for my liking. That's only a 25.3" tall tire. The 275/35/18's are as short as I like to go, and those are 25.6" tall. I almost went with a 255/40/18 because that's a 26" tall tire. But the 295/35/18's on the back of my car limited my tire choices a little, and the tire I wanted didn't come in a 255/40/18.

I got lazy and didn't want to type out 10.95", but that's the kit he had. He was running Falcon tires. I don't recall what model it was, but on their website, for some reason, they were both the same width (10"). One was just taller than the other.

-
Back