2nd try? On the cheap friendly comp?

Who wants to show the world how to get'er done cheap!

• Total voters
-
Yall work with each other on the rules, It seems that the thread is about carbureted non turbo rear wheel drive vehichles, it's not up to me to make the rules or interpret them, just my job to see yall get along and respect each other, seems that some cannot see if a post to the thread is meant to be humor or sarcasm, if it is one or the other try adding "HUMOR" or "SARCASM" but do so in a respectful way Thank You.......Wagg's

"MY" thinkin on the Cal Tracs wasn't necessarily about price. I was thinkin that if a car got to where it needed them that maybe it was outta the realm of what we were doin here. I mean......there are cars runnin 8 seconds on the Mopar SS leaf spring suspension. What more is necessary? That was my thought.

But like I said, I am just throwin thoughts out. I will back whatever yall decide.

Yall work with each other on the rules, It seems that the thread is about carbureted non turbo rear wheel drive vehichles, it's not up to me to make the rules or interpret them, just my job to see yall get along and respect each other, seems that some cannot see if a post to the thread is meant to be humor or sarcasm, if it is one or the other try adding "HUMOR" or "SARCASM" but do so in a respectful way Thank You.......Wagg's
I think Rumble just stated that FI cars are ok "if they came that way". After all, a lot of us in the rust bucket states can only find a v8 Dakota/Ram to run. The rules, I think, are understood. Cheap, Simple, Cheap, Fun, Cheap and no boost, no strokers, no aftermarket heads, no NOS, and of the sort, & did I mention Cheap?

So we can run a Dakota, Ram, or Durango, right? Basically, it's a rear wheel drive old school iron with factory FI.

If I remember too, we've also agreed to no porting, cleaning up or modding the ports in the heads.

I think Rumble just stated that FI cars are ok "if they came that way". After all, a lot of us in the rust bucket states can only find a v8 Dakota/Ram to run. The rules, I think, are understood. Cheap, Simple, Cheap, Fun, Cheap and no boost, no strokers, no aftermarket heads, no NOS, and of the sort, & did I mention Cheap?

So we can run a Dakota, Ram, or Durango, right? Basically, it's a rear wheel drive old school iron with factory FI.

I don't see why not. BUT, that said, I don't think that should open the door to just any EFI. Factory only. At least that's my thinkin.

"MY" thinkin on the Cal Tracs wasn't necessarily about price. I was thinkin that if a car got to where it needed them that maybe it was outta the realm of what we were doin here. I mean......there are cars runnin 8 seconds on the Mopar SS leaf spring suspension. What more is necessary? That was my thought.

But like I said, I am just throwin thoughts out. I will back whatever yall decide.
I think a used 20 dollar set of Lakewood traction bars fits the idea and fulfills the need :D... (or 60 bucks new)

Basically this is so someone whether young gun or someone on a limited income could follow along or participate.
Rules are set to keep the competitive nature of our hobby in check...
I am going to get a neighbor kid in on my build and even let him run it down the track.
Now that would be FUN !

My son-in-law who is 23 and not a great mechanic just got out of his 4 year hitch with the 82nd airborne and moved back to town with my daughter. He also used to have a 68 Valiant 4 door 6 with a 3 spped manual he loved for his pizza delivery job back in high school. That car was wrecked and gone and he seems to be more into motorcycles now so we thought about doing a cafe racer together but I know more about cars. I still have a good 68 318 in the garage and that 65 (or maybe 64) in Lewistown has my mouth watering. Our problem if we did this would be the lack of drag strips in our area. The nearest one is over 200 miles and 2 mountain passes away just to run at 2500 feet. The point would really be to do something together so contest or not, drag times or not, we may do something. Heck maybe we will do a 70's Honda CB750 and beat you all LOL!

Yea, I think everybody here has got the idea.

On the Dakota, Durango... Sure! I don't know what they run used & beat up $ wise. But if you wanna run one or just use the engine trans and or the factory FI, sure, go for it. I can see picking up a wreck truck and raiding the drivetrain as well as the computer to run the FI.

Adding one from MSD, FAST, etc is a 2K+ cost. I'll certainly not argue the benifits of running such a set up but it certainly isn't cheap. 2K will get you a lot more than just the FI. You could probably do most of the car in new parts with that much. Well, at least most of the key to fast parts.
2K is more than I have to spend in one shot for one part.

4spdragtop, thanks. Me 2!

Hersbird. 200 miles and 2 mountains away is very far. Still, I bet you could get there faster than myself traveling under a 125 miles to E-Town. It's murderous getting off L.I. to the track since I have to travel through NYC.

However, if your up for it I'd love to see the two of you get in on this. I will be doing the same with my future son-in-law. He is 21. Very smart and excellent with a wrench. He busted my chops long before this idea/thread came about to get in on the Duster. So, he's in. This will mostly be his brain working on the Duster. I'll be on hand to prevent catastrophe and super mis matched parts.

Although now that I think about it, I should let him do some mis matching.
Hummmmmm

(This is where the 8-3/4 comes in handy.)

here is another good start, 360 4 speed Volare for $800
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4842995480.html
00E0E_e656vqJQyXm_600x450.jpg

46 peep's! Nice! Thanks for joining in on the fun.

46 entries so far, and I'm sure a few more will join, and few of the 46 will probably not get the chance to enter. Think they will post a "sticky" for the entries called "cheap friendly race" ? I bet there would be more entries and more interest. With Feb. around the corner, I bet we start seeing some entries if they knew for sure how we were going to post. I think a "sticky" would be better and easier to find rather than a bunch of people starting their own threads. JMO

46 entries so far, and I'm sure a few more will join, and few of the 46 will probably not get the chance to enter. Think they will post a "sticky" for the entries called "cheap friendly race" ? I bet there would be more entries and more interest. With Feb. around the corner, I bet we start seeing some entries if they knew for sure how we were going to post. I think a "sticky" would be better and easier to find rather than a bunch of people starting their own threads. JMO

Interesting thought, last sentence. Still waiting, for a drag strip locally ( possibly a year or so out). Just letting you know, up front.

I'll play. '67 Barracuda coupe with big block/727

Why no manual valve bodies? But we can put all the fiberglass on we want?

I think they want to keep it very CHEAP and SIMPLE. Something a newbie could do in their driveway, or a high school kid that has interest could have hope of doing in working part time. I think CHEAP here wins over E.T. Seeing what you can run on a part time job budget! lol. Also, they want you to add the real cost of parts you may be donating from your garage/basement. Buying the car is part of the price of the total build. Simple too, something that a newbie to our hobby would understand and could probably do in their backyard.

I think they want to keep it very CHEAP and SIMPLE. Something a newbie could do in their driveway, or a high school kid that has interest could have hope of doing in working part time. I think CHEAP here wins over E.T. Seeing what you can run on a part time job budget! lol. Also, they want you to add the real cost of parts you may be donating from your garage/basement. Buying the car is part of the price of the total build. Simple too, something that a newbie to our hobby would understand and could probably do in their backyard.

I totally understand the intent, but it makes no sense to allow all of this:

Barracuda front bumper $180
Barracuda rear bumper $180
Barracuda doors (pair) $720
Barracuda fenders (pair) $640
Barracuda Hemi Super Stock pin on hood $740
Barracuda notchback pin on trunk $220
Barracuda dashboard $280

Total $2960

http://www.glasstek.com/results.php?year=1967&make=nothing&model=84

and not allow this:

JEGS Porting & Polishing Kit $44.95
Mopar Performance Porting Template $19.95

Total $64.90

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/81023K/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P4120437/10002/-1?parentProductId=1175475

I can understand not allowing high dollar aluminum heads with cnc porting...but home ported stock iron heads? That's one of the essentials of low budget speed.

I questioned manual valve body earlier mainly because it makes a big block in an A-body much less of a PITA with a decent set of headers. It's not a high dollar item that gives some unfair advantage, it's just the easiest way to set up a 727 in a tight car. I bought a B&M manual pack for my BB A-body 25 years ago when I was working part time at a grocery store and going to tech school full time. I certainly didn't consider it out of reach then...so why is it considered high dollar and unfair now?

This was discussed before.

This "On the cheap freindly comp" is based on easy stuff to do. A basic guide for the first timers.

Home ported heads are out because not everyone owns a air compressor to run a die grinder, not everyone owns a die grinder (electric included) the skill level may not be there, the first timer may also not have the guts to take a die grinder to there head with a good chance of ruining it.

It's that simple.

The manual valve body issue was discussed before as well. While it was not ruled out, I didn't think it would fit into many first time hot rodders or racers. The key here is that some of the cars may still be street driven. The question was asked and never answered. Here is the question again.

"How many people do you know (not heard of) that have purchased, installed and kept a manual valve body in there street driven car?"

Is a manual valve body a every day item that can be lived with, not noticed or barely noticed?

I enquires about the ease of installation and was replied to with instructions. I think it is a fairly easy thing to do. I have never done it myself being I own, drive and street race a 4spd car for the last 28 years and have never did so with a automatic trans car.

As writen, I do think a novice can perform the valve body swap. And again, for those that missed it, it was never given the thumbs down but just frowned on.
Because (again) it isn't something done by most new guys.
I myself would like to NOT include a manual valve body THIS time around at this stage of the game.

-
Back