3 Speed Wiper Motor Question

-

RobertC99

Reaction score
does anyone have a diagram for the 3 speed wiper motor? i went to use them the other day and found out they were not functioning, i tested and i am getting power and ground to them so i was going to run through and check to make sure something didnt get crossed because i noticed the insulation is coming off, i didnt know if there was a way to test it or if it burned out, the red wire had broken and i soldered it back together but then i started seeing smoke from it, its on my 72 dart

20240717_211035.jpg

does anyone have a diagram for the 3 speed wiper motor? i went to use them the other day and found out they were not functioning, i tested and i am getting power and ground to them so i was going to run through and check to make sure something didnt get crossed because i noticed the insulation is coming off, i didnt know if there was a way to test it or if it burned out, the red wire had broken and i soldered it back together but then i started seeing smoke from it, its on my 72 dart

View attachment 1716277587
Currently in wiper hell with my 67 two speed motor. Lots old threads on this subject. Search "wiper motor" or "wiper motor bench test" and you should get the info you need.

View attachment 1716277587

Just in case.
Your switch on the dash has to be grounded for them to work.

Bruce from @ns1aar does them.
Home
So this is for the motor, however the wires from the switch should essentially go to the motor except for the power in.

MOPAR 3 SPEED WIPER MOTOR BENCH TEST

• High Speed
  • Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground
  • Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead
Motor should run on high speed continuously

• Low Speed
  • Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to batter ground
  • Join the BROWN and RED wires together and connect to battery positive
Motor should run on slow speed continuously

• Park
  • Connect jumper wire from GREEN to BROWN
  • Connect jumper wire from RED to ground
  • Connect jumper from BLUE to positive

Just in case.
Your switch on the dash has to be grounded for them to work.
thanks for the reply, that 1 i do know is good, i had my bulkhead melt and some of the wiring so i just went through and remade most of the harness from scratch so i know its got a good ground

Home
So this is for the motor, however the wires from the switch should essentially go to the motor except for the power in.

• High Speed

• Low Speed

• Park
thanks for the reply i will have to get it out and test it, is there any trick to get it without taking out the heater box?

does anyone have a diagram for the 3 speed wiper motor
IIRC the FSM shows the wiring for the 3 speed motor by default.

1 extra wire over the 2 speed.

If the insulation on the wires is crumbling off ( seems like it in your photo) I would look at that as problem #1

Home

• High Speed

• Low Speed

• Park
I assume this is for a 2-speed wiper test. Dana67Dart says 1 more wire for 3-speed, can we find the test for the 3-speed?

I haven't got a chance to pull mine out yet but I was just looking into a remanfactured 1 what is the year range I would be looking for on my 72 dart, not sure if it matters but the build date was August of 71

Just got my newly remanufactured motor in and got it swapped out, I thought I was going to have to drop the air vents/ heater box but I was able to take the glove box liner out and reach in far enough to unbolt the wipee transmission, now everything works park 1, 2 and 3 function normally I figured it was probably the motor itself since the wiring insulation wore away and became bare wires that arced and burned out the motor since it was smoking and very hot

20240802_214459.jpg

20240729_224304.jpg

Thanks for the followup

And congrats.

Who did you use for the motor rebuild?
Howling did it take?

Thanks for the followup

And congrats.

Who did you use for the motor rebuild?
Howling did it take?
thanks, i found a listing on ebay orignally the guy was selling 1 for a 71 but said in the description that he had more so i messaged him and he had 1 with the correct part number for my 72 and he just had to rebuild it so we worked it out and he rebuilt it and sent it, so all together it was about a week and a half but mine was not rebuilt it was 1 that he had, all together it was a little under $600, it may be alot but its for the peace of mind that i wont have to worry about it later because i found some others that "Worked" for $200

Also wondering where you got the motor, did you send yours out or were you able to buy outright?
i contacted a seller on ebay, they had 1 listed but it was for a 71 and they said they had more, he had 1 for my 72 but it needed to be rebuilt still so we worked it out and about a week and a half later i had a fresh re manufactured 1 all together it was a little under $600 with shipping tax and everything, it was alot but its worth it for the peace of mind in my opinion so i dont have to worry about it going out again next week or something like that

Do you know the interchange on these 3 speed motors? All 3 Chrysler product cars I have use the 3 speed motors.

Compare yours. They should be interchangable. It is just the part # code that says it is for B & E for date codes.

-
Back