318 2bbl Intake Mods ?

-
Here is what a stock 318 2bbl intake manifold looks like.

Big difference between this and a TBI manifold.

View attachment 1715932191
Actually works pretty well, as was put into service. But the TBI manifold opens it up so much nicer.
i put a 750 DP Holley on a super six intake doing the same thing with that adaptor.

I'm sure they have secrets... IF I can find somebody that dirt tracks a 318 2bbl. Hoping one of the 50K members here has "been there/did that"... LOL.
No, it doesn't have to be a small block Mopar. It can be an older small block Chevy. Same valve arrangement, same intake layout, same firing order. The intake mods would probably be RIGHT in line. If you can find a Mopar guy, all the better, but if not, there's no question the Chevy mods would do similar.

No, it doesn't have to be a small block Mopar. It can be an older small block Chevy. Same valve arrangement, same intake layout, same firing order. The intake mods would probably be RIGHT in line. If you can find a Mopar guy, all the better, but if not, there's no question the Chevy mods would do similar.
Actually, I've been reading on some mods done on the 350 intake on other forums. Some cool stuff!

I'm sure they have secrets... IF I can find somebody that dirt tracks a 318 2bbl. Hoping one of the 50K members here has "been there/did that"... LOL.
I would think any improvement you can do on a low rise stock 4 barrel intake would apply to a 2 barrel intake, spacer etc..

I would think any improvement you can do on a low rise stock 4 barrel intake would apply to a 2 barrel intake, spacer etc..
I agree. The same approach would work as I see it. It is my plan unless somebody comes forth with a testimony of a better way or "nope, it didn't help"

Here is what ma mopar did with their intake 20 years later, from their earlier 318 dual plane 2 bbl intakes.

Could maybe use this as a guide to the divider and the opening size. I am sure they put some pretty extensive research into it.

20220523_202706.jpg

20220523_202650.jpg

Maybe you can get in there and open up your stock 318 manifold to the same size as the TBI manifold.

They are both Dual Planes after all.

I'm defiantly not the sharpest crayon in the box, bear with me here, so why does injection (the TBI type?) need dual plane again?
I understand how they work. I guess I may be over thinking it some, or flat forgot why.
I recently removed a Edlebrock RPM Performer, with a Edlebrock 650 cfm 4bbl (stamped 1806-elec choke), the gasket did not cover the center section. It was a dual plane.
The new one was single plane, multiport injection, that I totally understand the why.
Thanks...

I'm defiantly not the sharpest crayon in the box, bear with me here, so why does injection (the TBI type?) need dual plane again?
I understand how they work. I guess I may be over thinking it some, or flat forgot why.
I recently removed a Edlebrock RPM Performer, with a Edlebrock 650 cfm 4bbl (stamped 1806-elec choke), the gasket did not cover the center section. It was a dual plane.
The new one was single plane, multiport injection, that I totally understand the why.
Thanks...

It's the same as a carbureted intake manifold. Throttle Body Injection, the Throttle Body sits on top of the manifold just like a carb and mixes the fuel and the air there, then that is drawn down into the manifold. The dual plane helps it from pulling across the plenum when the opposing bank's valves open. Like having a wall between the 2 planes.

TPI or Tuned Port Injection has the fuel injectors right at the head ports mixing the fuel and air right there, so they are not pulling fuel and air back and forth across the pluenum at low rpm.

Only air is being drawn through the manifold for the TPI systems.

Thats what I have basically, the TPI, with Pro Flo 4.
And the TBI like a carb, OK, yeah that makes more sense-my Pro Flo 4 uses the distributor to fire off each injector specific to it turn to inject, then fire, and my intake has about maybe 6", 7 " of runner before the injector. Everyone gets air before fuel on TPI, no back wash because their so close to the combustion chamber, TBI is just a shorter timed air/fuel mix than a carb-gets it done quicker, but doesn't run off the distributor like TPI...it's kinda coming back now, I think.
So then the original question and the suggestion I was going to be leave the center of the gasket off in the center where it divides the intake left and right, but not much more-theory was explained to me as it helps equalize everything, and I don't remember which engine builder told me that. Any more would as stated above cause some pulling from the other side-right or wrong thats what I was told, and what I found under a Holley 1100 on a Sidewinder manifold (which was replaced with a tunnel ram.)Kinda why I pulled the Edlebrock too, just wasn't hooking it up right.
I think I got it!!! Thank you @George Jets !!!
Hope it educated some others too...

I always had a problem finding a mid 70's intake that wasn't cracked. I magged hundreds of them and only a handful were not cracked. Granted, most of the ones I had were off California cars. Our oxygenated fuel burns hotter to the point of stressing everything that has an exhaust passage.

-
Back