318 A/C Removal

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
What components would i need to find/use in removing my defunct air conditioning setup form my 73 Duster with a 318. I want to remove all of the lines and compressor.

What is the best way to do this?

What parts (i.e. pulleys, belts, ect) do i need and where can i find them?

Thanks.

I don't quite understand.. Is your A/C not working and you are wanting to replace it???

i think he is saying that he wants the engine to look as if it never had an ac on it....if this is what you are saying then all you would need to do is change the crank pulley to a 2 groove pulley and remove the ac brackets and lines.

i just did this when i put in my 360 from 318,your pulley will work, but you need to keep your big bracket off your ac so you can bolt your alternator back through it to keep your spacing, just take a die grinder or something and cut the big bracket down to keep it kinda looking stock,or else it will be to tall and doesnt look good, not a big problem to take it off, i took off lines and cooler and everything i could, looks alot better, i cruise with window down, so i dont use ac, isnt that what cruising is all about? hope i could finally help somebody cause i get alot of help here.

I have all of the non-A/C alt brackets and pulleys you need. I need your A/C pulleys and brackets. I am converting a non-A/C car to A/C and I have everything but the pulleys and A/C pump brackets. Want to trade parts? I will ship you my stuff free of charge and you ship me yours free of charge. I will only cost us a little freight.

Chuck

Yeah, i am trying to get rid of it, has it makes the engine bay look too cluttered. Wouldn't i need another crank pulley and water pump pulley? I have a two belt system, one big belt runs from the a/c to crank to alt, while a second belt runs the power steering to water pump. to crank. i think at best i would have to run a belt from the alt to the crank, then leave the other belt the way it is for the water pump and pwr steering. But if i run a belt from the alt to the crank, it would almost interfere with the nech of the water pump, unless there was a way to move the alternator a bit.

I just need some guiding in this matter. Thanks.

^^^ I'd do what he suggested and trade. that's what would make it look sanitary.

I have a non AC firewall if anyone wants to go that far with the project. Then you two would have to swap boxes as well.

when i did mine there are two bolts holes on alt just keep it on lowest one and your belt will tighten up just fine,it looks tight but plenty of room, before i changed engine to 360 i still had ac hooked up but took off belt, i took a dremel and just barely took off a little bit of the bottom fin on water pump for clearence, sounds drastic but no problems, i did not need to do that when i completly took off ac, and you are right it looks alot better.

Chuck, i may take you up on your offer, but im getting ready for the Spring Fling next weekend. I may work with you in the next few weeks, we shall see. For now, i think im going to try to go the route GotDust57 took.

Hey GoldDust57, so if i adjust the long alternator belt and the alternator properly, i can reuse it and make it work for now? I know clearance from the top of the belt and bottom of the water pump is going to be close. I may have to adjust the alternator, correct? Or did you use another bracket?

Thanks again y'all.
Justin

at worst you will need to get another belt, try your big belt first though, if you have to change belt it is same size as power steering belt, i just used same bracket that was on ac there is 2 or 3 small bolts on back of ac pump you have to take out and then pry it from ac unit, bolt back on alt and power steering pump, bracket will end up being taller in height nothing to do with holes lining up or nothing, after you bolt everything back on you can grind or dremel the height to where you want it. there are 2 holes in alt to bolt to bracket, use the one that will give most adjustment for belt, you will probably not have to grind anything off water pump fin. belive me i am just a so so mechanic and i did with no problems, i took off all ac parts, and if you did not know what was there before you really cant tell no difference, except where ac lines get cut at firewall which can be easy fix, e-mail me at gotdust57@yahoo.com if i confused you or forgot anything its easy job

I want to do the opposite,my 69 Dart was and air car but all I have right now is the evaporator case still in the car and the dash switch. i need every part under the hood from the fittings at the fire wall forward. i mean pulleys, brakets,lines, condensor,dryer,hold downs, everything. Can anyone hook me up? It gets damn hot in Fl.

I am doing the same thing to my 1969 Plymouth valiant. Does anyone know if I need to change the radiator to work without having an a/c considering there are some lines running to it

I am doing the same thing to my 1969 Plymouth valiant. Does anyone know if I need to change the radiator to work without having an a/c considering there are some lines running to it
Do you realize this thread is 9 years old! You would be better off starting a new one.

You need to get the proper alternator mounting brackets...

Alternator Mounting Kit

5251 alternator brackets - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Then you will need a single pulley alternator...

Powermaster Retro "Squareback" Alternator

Then the proper water pump pulley...

Water Pump Pulley w/o AC

BPE Water Pump Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

And crank pulley...

Crankshaft Pulley with Power Steering w/o AC

Crankshaft Pulley w/o Power Steering & AC

BPE Crankshaft Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

BPE Crankshaft Pulley - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Ken 360 041114 Fuel Line A01 B.jpg

Ken 360 041114 Pulley A01 B2.jpg

Ken 360 041114 Pulley A03 B2.jpg

Ken 360 041114 Pulley A02 B2.jpg

does anyone have the small block A/C brackets laying around they want to get get rid of? i need the 70-up style brackets.

does anyone have the small block A/C brackets laying around they want to get get rid of? i need the 70-up style brackets.
I'm pretty sure I have a compressor with the brackets you need on it. I'm in Ga. for about a week so i won't be home to check for a while. If you contact me again at that time I'll check. If you don't find them before.

I have an extra set, of a/c brackets. I would love to do a swap for non ac brackets.
I do have the flat triangular alt. bracket and the alternator bolt and the two spacers. I don't have the long belt tensioner bracket. I had to use that with my Power masteralternator.

I have an extra set, of a/c brackets. I would love to do a swap for non ac brackets.

I'm going from a slant to v8 so I done have the brackets laying around. The alt bracket you need is only like $35 new. It's the pulleys that are hard or expensive to get.

-
Back