318 auto to manual swap pilot bushing wont fit?

-

branded209

Reaction score
Hey guys im currently half way though swaping in an A833 and the pilot bushing i have for my 318 won't fit???? :banghead: I searched the forums but i can't seem to find anything on this.

What bushing?

Is it the "normal" one that fits into the deepest bore?

If so, some auto cranks are not finish machined to accept a pilot. There is (or used to be) undersize bushings you could buy

BUT make absolutely certain that the crank is drilled DEEP enough for the pilot shaft. "back in the day" we sometimes lopped a 1/4" or so off the pilot shaft work around this

Nowadays, you can buy the "Jeep style" pilots either in roller bearing or bushing, which fit the large converter snout recess

Old traditional style, will not fit undersized auto crank

mopp_0607_06z%2Bplymouth_road_runner%2Bpilot_bushing.jpg

Late roller bearing style

dsc04240newmodernpilorbwu4.jpg

Late bushing style

PB876.jpg

yeah thats what im taling about in the picture! the copper bushing! TYVM for such a quick and insightful response btw.

No I haven't "kept up." Due to my health, I run TF nowadays, LOL

Good info, but I would call Wayne at Brewer's.
He will have the info on what to do to install it correctly.

If the factory bushing will not fit, use the later model...........

But, you may need to either drill the crank deeper, or cut the input shaft on the transmission and possibly polish step off on the input shaft by the splines, to fit the later model bushing.

Hi all. I have a 77 power wagon / w100 with a 318 LA motor im rebuilding. It has the np435 trani, 23 spline output shaft, and 143 teeth flywheel and its manual with the granny 1st gear. I have accuired a steel crank 2128869 turned polished and ready to go. My question is, whats the best piolet bearing/bushing for this set up ? Ive read the mopar part number 53009180ab bearing is the ticket for the later manuals and possibly the earlier la's but I cant find any real strait answers on the earlier. Need some advise please. hope this thread still has life ! Thanks

Kerry

Hi all. I have a 77 power wagon / w100 318 la im rebuilding with np435 23 spline output shaft and 143 teeth flywheel and its the manual granny. I have accuired a steel crank 2128869 turned polished and ready to go. My question is whats the best piolet bearing/bushing for this set up ? Ive read the mopar part number 53009180ab bearing is the ticket for the later manuals and possibly the earlier la's but I cant find any real strait answers. Need some advise please lol hope this thread still has life ! Thanks

Kerry

The 2128869 273 crank will have a small pilot hole at the rear and will not accept converters after 68. The size of the hole is aproxamently 1.55" and the larger is 1.78". I don't know what you might get in to on a manual transmission. Is the flywheel/flexplate also different?

-
Back