318 flex plate have same crank bolt pattern as 360?

-

72moparswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, im so close to be dropping in my motor but im getting hung up on my torque converter/ flex plate problem, I bought a 360/904 B&M plate with pie cut out from summit and it should go right on but when I had my 318 converter done to fit my 360 /904 combo the balance weight is in the way now so the plate sits on the weight not allowing it to set on the 4 mounting points.... Im super stressed over it and I have a 318 plate I can get a hold of tomorrow would it work? My converter was at the shop to get check to make sure the damn balance was on and it is with that giant butterfly style weight welded to the face of the converter where my plate should go.. A factory X style flex plate will work, They gave me a factory one but it was a big block one but the X style will work

Only thing i need to know is the 318 crank and 360 crank bolt pattern the same?

Im sorry but bit nervous at this point to make sure everything is correct

yes..the bolt pattern on the rear of the cranks are all the same for 6 bolt OEM cranks.

If you bought a B&M 360 plate why was a weight added to your TC?

The shop did you no favors!

Thats a good question, they checked it and showed it was balanced with that big *** weight they added to the face of it. So lets say cause the pie cut acts as a offset to one side for the converter and the platye acts as the weight?Its hard to explain.
I talked with my local hot rod guru and he said they did it the way for a stock x style so my other one wont work.

They shouldn't have added ANYTHING to the 318 converter.

The ENTIRE reason to buy the B&M flexplate is so you can put any neutral balance converter behind a 360. Makes life so much easier, no weights, no confusion, unless you take advice from people that don't know.

They shouldn't have added ANYTHING to the 318 converter.

The ENTIRE reason to buy the B&M flexplate is so you can put any neutral balance converter behind a 360. Makes life so much easier, no weights, no confusion, unless you take advice from people that don't know.

correct....

either the weight on the converter or the b&m flexplate...but not both...and usually simpler to use the b&m flexplate..

The weight is the red arrow, ok so my friend was right and these guys who did this are morons..

2wgzntd.png

So they put a weight on the converter so you couldn't use the better flexplate you bought specifically to use your existing converter. Got it. I hope that added weight was free. :)

IIRC, someone commented in one of your threads before about use the BM plate OR add the weight.

Yeah, I told them its a B and M pie cut style plate and I have a external balanced 360 I guess they got it mixed up on what i was trying to do and I got this headache from them...
OK cool I guess Ill run that stock plate with the weight

You confused them. If you told them it was a plate to take care of the balance, they aren't too sharp.

Why was it taken in to check the balance? Generally a waste of time on a converter unless it was falling apart inside.

Send the flexplate back if you can or save it for later.

150 for what, adding the weight?

Between that and the cost of a new B&M plate, that's about $240-250.

I bet you could have used that $150 elsewhere. Find a better guru!

hahaha, I hope thats not what they only charged me for and I dont know bout it but they
rebuilt the entire converter for the 150 and upped my stall to 2400

That's better.

You got the right answer here...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=230965

What about the tranny?? are you going to use the 904 behind your 318??? if so you will need either a b&m flex plate or a weighted 360 torque convertor, unless the 360 is internally balanced which I dought. just trying to help you avoid issues, and Crackedback has the best combo's for you. I have a moroso pan on mine, but a standard pan will give you more clearance.

Good luck with it. There are smarter people in here than in most shops out there.

hahaha, wow i feel like a noob haha
I have much to learn

Thanks man totally appreciate it!! And i agree to that cause they kept trying to telle me I was wrong and conveter is fine which it technically is but they did it the way they wanted to and not mine

-
Back