318 for 12.80 bracket car

-
I though you were trying to build on a budget??..turbo-charging ain't cheap,and is'nt always worth it..i got a guy at the track running a 360 magnum turbo-charged in a '71 dart against my mildly built 360 duster guess who runs 12.60's and who runs 11.80's..personally i would'nt put the time or effort into a 318,you'll be better off starting with a 360,or the previously mentioned 340...

Talk to 1badfish he has two killer A's a duster with a super budget steel headed 360/904 going in the high 11's or really low 12's and his Barracuda is going in the 10's with a conservative 340 alum head/904 and its doing 3' wheelstands off the foot brake.

Vernon 2007 082.jpg

Hello guys.

I am building a 74 Scamp to bracket race in sportsman class at PIR and Woodburn. The class cut off is 12.80.

My original plan was to drop my 413 in the car but after tearing it down I discovered it needs to be rebuilt with new pistons.

WELLLL!!!!!!! I have this running 318 in my car right now. HMMMM!

So I am thinking why not just build the 318?? Save me the trouble of the swap, finding BB pullys and brackets, saves weight up front were it matters, ect. ect. Besides I only wanna run 12.80's

I plan to gut the car as much as I can and still keep it street legal, hoping for 3200 Lbs. or less.

I already have a B-body 8 3/4 in the car because I was commited to the BB swap, UNTIL I started thinking again! LMAO!

So how about some recommendations y'all. I would prefer to stay away from stroker cranks and such.
haha have fun. 318= no torque. ur much better off goin with a 360. mild cam/intake/headers/3.91 gear= 360 goin 12's.. done.
LA-DE-DA. 318 have one huge disadvantage.. a bore WAY less then 4". thats criminal, especially if yah want to go with larger valves.
cheers.

I am tired of poeple bad mouthing 318's saying it takes too much $$$ to make it worth while. Well it doesn't take much. Maybe if poeple knew how to think and build engines then we wouldn't be talking about this just my 2 cents. 318's rule 360's drule!

Maybe if poeple knew how to think and build engines then we wouldn't be talking about this just my 2 cents. 318's rule 360's drule!

HA HA HA...are you for real ??....318= boat anchor....

I was just joking but I think a 318 is good motor just like 340 and 360 they are still mopar motors and thats all that matters.

I was just joking but I think a 318 is good motor just like 340 and 360 they are still mopar motors and thats all that matters.
no doubt 318s are very good engines.
BUT
u got it wrong in ur previous statement..
people who DON'T think.. try to build 318s LOL!:bootysha:
cheers.

Ive had a few 318s that ran pretty good. They make plenty of torque. Maybe not as much as a 360 or a 416 but I wouldnt call them pigs.

You just need to build them as a 318 and not a 360. Smaller headers, less cam timing.

I have a very low mileage 360 magnum engine 300 horse version.
The roller cam has been removed and I installed a
mild hydrolic in its place. It is complete just needs heads installed
which I have. Includes everything except the intake.

Matt

i did it with a stock 360 904trans 430gears ran 12.39 @105 162 60foot thats my stock motor duster in the pic above

should be lower then 3k if you gut it. there about 3100 with a small block. 318 should be god for your needs. cam it. little head work. some good headers and the right intake n carb and you should be right in the ballpark

Wait, what? You'rer going with a turbo now?
I'd go with a Pro Charger.

no doubt 318s are very good engines.
BUT
u got it wrong in ur previous statement..
people who DON'T think.. try to build 318s LOL!:bootysha:
cheers.
this is a Mopars only forum. i hope you get kicked out.
318s can make either good daily drivers or sub 11 second motors. everyone doubt the potential of a 318. its just a 318. well people build motors that are just 340s that kick big block *** all day. same with 318s. you dont even have your motor in the right make of car. what the hell is this?? is treason not punishable?

has anyone ever got a big block crank and milled it down? I think their crank strokes are like 3.75

Miled it down for what? To fit an LA small block? They are WAY too long...lol. Square peg, round hole, and no way to modify to fit.

this is a Mopars only forum. i hope you get kicked out.
318s can make either good daily drivers or sub 11 second motors. everyone doubt the potential of a 318. its just a 318. well people build motors that are just 340s that kick big block *** all day. same with 318s. you dont even have your motor in the right make of car. what the hell is this?? is treason not punishable?
Thank you Thats what I was trying to say.

Yes I am kinda stuck on the whole 318 thing. 8)

Why?? Because I like the underdog and I aint' looking to set the track on fire.

All my buddies are doubting the "teen" too, just gives me more drive to make it happen.

But I may just end up with blown head gaskets and melted pistons. :cheers:

Build the 318 with cast pistons and nitrous so that you get alot of miles out of all your gas then when you go to the track, you have the power

The new issue of Popular Hot Rodding has a 477 horse 318 buildup.
It uses 6.2" brand X rods and modern Magnum heads.

Nice tip Uncle Ted. I'll have to check that one out. The 318 is getting more press as of late I noticed. Theres really no big issue on getting a 318 to perform. It's just a lack of cubes that scares most people away and into a larger engine which makes more sense to use up front. It just follows the old ryme of no replacement for displacement that gets pounded into everyones head year after year.

Everyone is also worried about some engine issues that brand C and F don't seem to worry about. You just need to overcome and adapt.

-
Back