318 heads

-

'71cali-dart

Reaction score
Money is always an issue, so i was wondering what type of heads would be the best on my 318 with out hitting my wallet too hard. Im just looking to add a little more performance. Also heads with minimal machining would probably be best. (i have intake, 650 carb and headers already) thanks for any info

Myself, I wouldn't fool with changing perfectly good heads unless going to aluminum to save weight. Many claim Magnum swirl port heads are much better, but others claim not and there are many out there with cracks between the valve seats, or perhaps imminent cracks. Magnum heads also require an expensive aftermarket intake manifold, unless you use their factory MPFI "beer keg" intake, which might be smart for a driver in a $5/gal future.

That sounds like a solid recommendation. It appears that would even be significantly cheaper than machining the heads you have and could/should give a bump in compression as well. They would be a direct bolt on vs. the Magnum stuff which would require additional modifications and parts.

Many on here will caution you against going with a 340/360 LA head due to the lower compression (which the typical 318 can't afford to lose).

Is your car running the original 318?

The 318 head will go a long way in general purpose performance applications and IMO is a better head than a 360/340 head unless your looking to go kind of fast. The 318 head ported is a little pricey over a stock 360 head, but, as MoPar found out, there set up produce 55hp more than a 360 head did.

it'll costa bit to port the head rather than getting a 360 hed, but, performance costs.

thanks guys, il check into those heads when i get a chance.
and ya its the original 318

-
Back