318 horsepower

-
I'm not sure in the real world if you could get a set of 302 heads to run low 12's, unless the car is REAL light, hooks up perfectly, and is driven flawless.

I agree. 320s are good, but simply not THAT good...

Some Food For Thought !

408 cu. in. ...1 hp per cu. in....408 hp (4" stroke)(torque Monster)

360 cu. in. ...1.13 hp per cu. in.408 hp (3.580 Stroke)(medium Torque)

340 cu. in. ...1.20 hp per cu. in 408 hp (3.310 Stroke)(no torque)

318 cu in. ...1.28 hp per cu. in. 408 hp (3.310 Stroke)(no torque)

Which is most economical to run and easiest to achieve ?....Lee

Now THAT is sensible thinking for the 340 vs 360 debate.

A little OT - but I always consider the 340 to built like an F1 or Cart engine - makes its HP and designed to live up high - but on the trip up there, the 360 behaves like a BB, lots of torque under the curve and making more HP for the given revs until the 340 says goodbye..- which is why its an easier street weapon.

I think the short 340 stroke is the reason why I have never been impressed by them.

If I want R's and longevity, I'll stick with my 318, if I want torque, I will go 360, or my favorite, 4" a 318..............

And also, in stockish form, I am not sure there is too much of a RPM-vs-Power output from the 340 to the 360. 3.31 with a heavier piston vs a 3.58 with a lighter piston, almost seems to balance out.

I agree. 320s are good, but simply not THAT good...

I have 302's with 1.88's on my 390. Makes wicked torque, but it is a truck engine, it never goes past 4800-5000. I would go big port if I was looking for that much power.

I think the short 340 stroke is the reason why I have never been impressed by them.

If I want R's and longevity, I'll stick with my 318, if I want torque, I will go 360, or my favorite, 4" a 318..............

And also, in stockish form, I am not sure there is too much of a RPM-vs-Power output from the 340 to the 360. 3.31 with a heavier piston vs a 3.58 with a lighter piston, almost seems to balance out.

I have 302's with 1.88's on my 390. Makes wicked torque, but it is a truck engine, it never goes past 4800-5000. I would go big port if I was looking for that much power.

Really, and what does 10.5 do to that comparison?
or maybe 2.02 valves?
I guess those manifolds on the 340 are moot?
and the list go's on...
You see where I'm going with this right?:read2:

just a thought.:cheers:

Apples to apples...........

Of course you cant compare a 7.2-1 360 to a 10.5-1 340. Thats not what I was saying.

Bah....... Not worth it.

What do you mean not worth it?=P~

besides apples to apples I would build the 340 for A LOT more rpm than the 360's crank would want to tango.jmo

thats just me though, have a good night.

Again, I am dumbfounded how the 340 will spin so much faster then the 360. It is a theory I have never figured out.

Please, someone explain to me, HOW a 340 can spin higher RPM's than a 360. Not just a couple hundred, but an actual big difference.

the 360 cast crank torsion's/flexes at a lower rpm than a steel 340 crank does, thats all.
Factory 340 crank in my good friends circle track car would touch 9000 rpm all night as did the 273 rockers, but man would they wear valves @.620 lift.lol

it's a small diff and by itself in most cases wouldn't stand alone to cubic inch but consider the rod ratio.

ever check out the weight of stock 340 pistons...vs stock 360 pistons..

so the 340 engine is going to acelerate with the heavy slugs faster then a 360 .....awh..the laws of physics are being changed...

wait there now, what's the crank stroke, weight diff?

Cubic inch is generally #1 but there are specific requirements that under the right circumstance may dictate otherwise.

I like'em, no big. just my preference.

I like them too, just never noticed a real RPM difference.

But then again, not all 340's had steel cranks, or 2.02 valves.......

I have seen cast crank 360 hit an honest 7K, didn't die. But never seen a circle track car run up to 9K, not anything that wasn't wild. Even the outlaws hit 7K rarely. But then again, they are weak here compared to the Lower48.

Blew a TCI converter once and the tattle tale was pegged at 10K in a 318. Don't know what more nerve racking, the belt coming off and hitting the hood, or the alternator spinning for like an eternity.......

OK, off topic........... Thread crashing............

If everybody stops for a second and thinks, even though the 340 has a heavier slug, the stroke is what will get this engine spinning higher and quicker since the distance is shorter.

Add light weight pistons to it or ethier engine and the 340 is still going to spin up quicker and higher.

A longer stroke engine has to move the piston a greater distance and has an issue with piston speed witch has a speed ceiling limiting it to *** RPM's.

The next item in high RPM's is valve control which is the springs job.

Trruly the answer lays with the amount of money thrown at the problem. My wallet isn't that deep.

If everybody stops for a second and thinks, even though the 340 has a heavier slug, the stroke is what will get this engine spinning higher and quicker since the distance is shorter.

Add light weight pistons to it or ethier engine and the 340 is still going to spin up quicker and higher.

A longer stroke engine has to move the piston a greater distance and has an issue with piston speed witch has a speed ceiling limiting it to *** RPM's.

The next item in high RPM's is valve control which is the springs job.

I agree.

You can make a 12 sec 318 very easily and it can be very nice to run on the street and run on pump gas.......you don't need the 360. Yes you can build the 360 to make more power for about the same money cause it uses almost all the same bolt ons but you already have the 318 and it's so much fun spanking people with a 318 cause they get pissed......no one gives the 318 any respect even mopar guys and it drives me nuts. First thing is tell me your budget. How much do you want to spend? Are you looking to use stock or Eddy heads? You want to run on pump gas or race gas? Are you gonna keep the car street legal?

You are so right,my sons 318 12.90 dart go a lot of respect from all car brands.They said it could not be done with a 318,he showed them.

-
Back