318 No Start Backfiring Through Carb

-

NawfLalo

Reaction score
Hey all! I bought a 1985 Dodge D150 about a year ago as my very first vehicle. It would stall and felt real ‘heavy’ and after growing tired of paying mechanics that would attempt to fix the issue but would ultimately, not, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Despite never working on an engine before, I just finished up a complete overhaul on the 318. Heads went in for a prep and valve job, block was also ‘prepped’. (Not gonna lie, I have no clue what a ‘prep’ job entails.) It was also bored 0.030in. After getting the engine assembled and popping it back into the truck, it won’t start. It cranks, but after a few seconds of cranking, a mist of fuel/smoke would blow out of the carb. I’ve set the engine at TDC and plugged the wires in accordingly to get the timing correct but no luck. What could I be overlooking?

I would first check that the rotor is pointing in the right direction. It is either on or 180 degrees off. Very simple fix, one bolt. If it were me, I might just pop the cap off the distributor, remove the hold down bolt, pull the distributor up about an inch, rotate the rotor 180* and reassemble it all. Seriously, it takes less than 3 minutes. Try starting it again.

Sounds good! Will try that right now and will update with what happens. (Also, HUGE fan of your videos! I watched them before and during overhauling the 318.)

Hey all! I bought a 1985 Dodge D150 about a year ago as my very first vehicle. It would stall and felt real ‘heavy’ and after growing tired of paying mechanics that would attempt to fix the issue but would ultimately, not, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Despite never working on an engine before, I just finished up a complete overhaul on the 318. Heads went in for a prep and valve job, block was also ‘prepped’. (Not gonna lie, I have no clue what a ‘prep’ job entails.) It was also bored 0.030in. After getting the engine assembled and popping it back into the truck, it won’t start. It cranks, but after a few seconds of cranking, a mist of fuel/smoke would blow out of the carb. I’ve set the engine at TDC and plugged the wires in accordingly to get the timing correct but no luck. What could I be overlooking?

It sounds like the distributor is 180° off...

Remove the distributor cap and the #1 spark plug... Watch the rotor in the distributor while cranking it over with your finger over the #1 spark plug hole... When you feel the pressure on your finger, that's the compression stroke and the distributor rotor should be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire on the distributor...

If it's 180° off, the distribotor rotor will be pointing to the opposite side of the distributor... Lift the distributor out of it's hole a little and rotate the shaft 180° and tighten...

When starting a new engine for the first time, set the timing to 10° advanced (BTDC)... Put the engine at TDC and rotate it a little more to get the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to line up with the 10° line on the timing chain cover, then rotate distributor base so the rotor lines up with the #1 spark plug wire on the distributor cap...

Sometimes new engines with empty hydraulic lifters will do some strange things before oil pressure gets there. Pre lubing the engine before attempting to fire it solves the problem. If you find that the distributor is timed correctly. Be cautious of extended cranking on a new build, you don’t want to wipe a new cam.

It finally turned over!! After a few months of hard work, I’ve finally heard this beast growl! All thanks to 318willrun and krazykuda. Probably the best feeling ever. Thank you guys again for the pointers! The distributor was indeed 180 out, and after following the instructions krazykuda provided, I managed to get it timed correctly and get it running.

It finally turned over!! After a few months of hard work, I’ve finally heard this beast growl! All thanks to 318willrun and krazykuda. Probably the best feeling ever. Thank you guys again for the pointers! The distributor was indeed 180 out, and after following the instructions krazykuda provided, I managed to get it timed correctly and get it running.
Glad it worked for you. The experience you gained through the build is priceless

Please do not use the term "turned over" if you mean "it runs"

DEFINITIONS:

"Starter works," "cranks," "turns over." This means that when you twist the key to the "start" position, the engine rotates as would be expected when attempting to start

"Fires." This means that when attempting to start, the engine tries to run, makes noise out the exhaust, coughs, gags, and may continue for a few seconds or more

"Fires and runs." Normal operation.

The "finger in the hole" is something that should be taught to every teenager. I'm 75, and learned this (finally) when I was about 23.

However, I recommend a bit different from KK. As he said, and when you feel compression, bump or wrench the engine up on the timing marks NOT at TDC but rather where it is that you want the timing, AKA 10 BTC or whatever. Then insert the dist. as described. Rotate the dist (in the case of SB) CW (retarded) and then slowly rotate it advanced (CCW) until the points open, if you have points, or the reluctor (breakerless) is centered on the pickup coil core. This may be a couple degrees off, but it will be quite close, and you should be able to simply start the engine.

The "finger in the hole" is something that should be taught to every teenager. I'm 75, and learned this (finally) when I was about 23.
Talk about a late bloomer. I had my finger in the hole when I was 15. She liked it too.

Despite never working on an engine before, I just finished up a complete overhaul on the 318.

It finally turned over!! After a few months of hard work, I’ve finally heard this beast growl! All thanks to 318willrun and krazykuda. Probably the best feeling ever.

There's no better thrill/high/rush than when you build your first engine and it fires up!!! :thumbsup:

You still get it after the next ones, but not as good as your first one...

That feeling of a successful accomplishment and knowing that you did it yourself... :thumbsup:

Once u get it running good watch some utube videos showing u how to properly use a Vacuum gauge and find tune that jewel !!!
U can obtain a gauge assembly pretty cheap on eBay good luck.

Once u get it running good watch some utube videos showing u how to properly use a Vacuum gauge and find tune that jewel !!!
U can obtain a gauge assembly pretty cheap on eBay good luck.

vacuum.jpg

-
Back