318 police pursuit dual quad tunnel ram

-
that 4 bolt main thing came from reading these arguments on these kind of forums again that's why I joined so I could review or discuss these issues as I was saying it had some kind of block number I'll pull it up on my nextpost but they were saying something about if its a three 18 race motor it should have 4 bolt main so thats why I look just because I was reading the arguments on one of the forums about the number

4104230-318-15 is the number that I came with and research on and this is what got me going on the 4 bolt mains subject it wasn't nothing I saw that I never knew there was a small block mopar with a 4 bolt mains and everything that I read says not to do it it actually weakens the motor

heres the thing ..... mopar people are a strange breed ...... most will do things that a ford(barf) guy would never try. or think of trying. people will point and giggle at us .... make there lame jokes at us. Thats ok tho thay will never understand and im not going to waist my time trying to exsplaneing it to them ..... Iv driven some fords and chevys but its just not the same .... driveing my GTX across montana on a early sunday morning ... sun at my back .... with over a 100 miles of strait .... flat road in my winshild ......... tack sittin at 4500 ..... 4 hundred and 40 cubes sounding off .... the AFB drinking the cool morning air like soft sweet sweet music ..... mite as well ask armstrong what it was like on the moon ....

This is exactly the reason I drive my Barracuda 10,000 km round trip to Moparfest ,410 stroker ,323 rear end and 1500 km of flat prairie highway yeehaw , thanks for putting it so well .

If I ever cruised with my tach at 4500 only place I'd be sitting is in jail

If I ever cruised with my tach at 4500 only place I'd be sitting is in jail

not much life on 94 between Bismarck and billings at dawn on sunday. .... if you are going to make a speed run that is the time to do it. It will be hrs before anything with a badge will be makeing there rounds. :burnout:

Lol, I love that last comment but if you were to put it into context with the original subject you'd be scratching your head! Lol Anyway, I'll take the car to the track tomorrow night with the slicks & dual quad tunnel ram and see if I improve on the 15.4. I figure that a little more experience at the light will help? The slicks should help the 60 foot time? The dual quad? Well we'll see? !?!

O-YA, 4104230-318-15 if anyone wants to bring some light on that block# that would be great ?
I've read everything from- warranty motor? Truck motor? Race motor? Nothing special?

Okay, just got back. 15.4 was the old time.
Now with the dual quad tunnel ram 14.8.
Then the slicks 14.2
LOVING IT! !!!!!! THAT WAS FUN! !!!!!!!

I found that 4 bolt main conversation on this forum about 5 years ago. It was someone that goes by 70aarcoda? I'm sure you could possibly drill 4 bolt mains (which I'm told would make it weaker) so if a 318 (race engine) does exist? Someone must have a picture of the stock 4 bolt mains, the X on the front of it, and all that supposed stuff?

I have a '88, 318 cop motor, that we just put in my nephew's '67 truck. 360 heads, 4 bbrl intake, windage tray, low compression motor. Pretty sure that's the way it came from the factory. It ran pretty good in my Duster, but with 4.11's, and a 4-speed, it should.

The later 318 block cores were used for the earlier Direct Connection performance blocks. So the casting numbers were the same... If it were anything special it would have an X cast into it - I think on the pass side front near the oil dipstick hole. It would also be a bit heavier - not that you could tell. If you pulled it from a cop car or whatever it's nothing special. Just an LA 318. Might have had a different set of heads if it was a 4bbl engine, plus a different cam and a windage tray.

well the only thing left of any of that would be the windage tray, but again I have seen no pictures of this race motor? Just people talking about it? (no offense)you know like a picture is worth a thousand words .I've heard a lot of talk of stuff like that, but yet to see anything or know anybody or heard of anybody who actually has one right now?does it exist? Did it ever exist?I'm certainly not inclined to think that I have any kind of special motor but again it's just a lot of talk so far.and right from the beginning this is why I join the forum to really get down to the hard evidence of stuff like this instead of just back and forth banter and I really appreciate everyone let me know what they know.

Actually the Police package engines are kind of special. Just about everything internal to them has been upgraded for longevity and HD use. I have a '88 Police 318 in my '65 Formula S and love it. There were also 360 Police engines but not many. If anyone is interested these are the specs and info I've been able to accumulate on these engines:

Police sedans were equipped with a high performance 318 engine, which was equipped with 360 heads and a 4 bbl carburetor (Thermoquad through 1984, Quadrajet from 1985). The earlier ('80- '84) heads have a 4027596 casting number and a cast-in "360" on the top of an intake runner. It has an open combustion chamber with a volume of between 66 and 72.5 cc. The valves are 1.88"/1.60" and the ports are large, averaging 65cc on the exhaust side and 149cc on the intake side. Note how similar the volumes of these heads are compared to the performance heads of the early 1970s. Police engines are equipped with flat top hyperutectic pistons with no valve reliefs. Calculated compression ratio is 8.4:1.

Beginning in 1985, police sedans were equipped with a different 360 head, 4323345, with larger pushrod holes, 11/16" in diameter, instead of 1/2" as found on all earlier heads. The larger pushrod holes are to accommodate hydraulic roller lifters, which were introduced in 1985 (my '88 version is still flat tappet). The chamber is open and its volume is slightly larger than the earlier 360 heads, 69 to 77 cc. Port sizes are very similar to earlier heads, and the larger pushrod hole does not narrow the intake port relative to the earlier heads. These heads also have 1.88"/1.60" valves. Because the piston pin height is 0.020" greater, the calculated compression ratio is similar to earlier engines, even though the chambers are larger. It has been suggested that the 345 heads are a swirl port design, but the port and chamber shape is indistinguishable from earlier heads.

(AHB police package on options plate, E48 or ELE engine code)
Rated rear wheel HP 175 @ 4000 rpm, torque 250 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm
318 CID (block casting #4323330 ’85-’89 flat tappet) with special kolene cleaned 360 cylinder heads (casting # 4323345), special 1.88 silichrome-1 high tempature steel intake valves, 1.60 nimonic exhaust valves, heavy duty valve springs, high strength rocker arms, high temp cylinder head cover gaskets, high temp valve seals and shields, 360 four barrel intake manifold, heavy duty exhaust manifolds, double roller timing chain, hyperutectic pistons (flat top w/o valve reliefs, piston pin height raised 0.020 due to 360 open chambers (approx 74cc), 8.5 to 1 compression ratio), special piston-to-block clearances (allowable by use of the hyperutectic pistons), heavy duty chrome plated oil rings, forged steel connecting rods, lubrite treated camshaft (4bbl hydraulic version had 340 cam: 430/444 lift with 268/276 duration, roller version had 391/391 lift with 240/240 duration) windage tray and a heavy duty water pump (large bearing). (Specs from Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler Police Cars 1979-1994 and the Allpar website + others).

Actually the Police package engines are kind of special. Just about everything internal to them has been upgraded for longevity and HD use. I have a '88 Police 318 in my '65 Formula S and love it. There were also 360 Police engines but not many. If anyone is interested these are the specs and info I've been able to accumulate on these engines:

Police sedans were equipped with a high performance 318 engine, which was equipped with 360 heads and a 4 bbl carburetor (Thermoquad through 1984, Quadrajet from 1985). The earlier ('80- '84) heads have a 4027596 casting number and a cast-in "360" on the top of an intake runner. It has an open combustion chamber with a volume of between 66 and 72.5 cc. The valves are 1.88"/1.60" and the ports are large, averaging 65cc on the exhaust side and 149cc on the intake side. Note how similar the volumes of these heads are compared to the performance heads of the early 1970s. Police engines are equipped with flat top hyperutectic pistons with no valve reliefs. Calculated compression ratio is 8.4:1.

Beginning in 1985, police sedans were equipped with a different 360 head, 4323345, with larger pushrod holes, 11/16" in diameter, instead of 1/2" as found on all earlier heads. The larger pushrod holes are to accommodate hydraulic roller lifters, which were introduced in 1985 (my '88 version is still flat tappet). The chamber is open and its volume is slightly larger than the earlier 360 heads, 69 to 77 cc. Port sizes are very similar to earlier heads, and the larger pushrod hole does not narrow the intake port relative to the earlier heads. These heads also have 1.88"/1.60" valves. Because the piston pin height is 0.020" greater, the calculated compression ratio is similar to earlier engines, even though the chambers are larger. It has been suggested that the 345 heads are a swirl port design, but the port and chamber shape is indistinguishable from earlier heads.

(AHB police package on options plate, E48 or ELE engine code)
Rated rear wheel HP 175 @ 4000 rpm, torque 250 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm
318 CID (block casting #4323330 ’85-’89 flat tappet) with special kolene cleaned 360 cylinder heads (casting # 4323345), special 1.88 silichrome-1 high tempature steel intake valves, 1.60 nimonic exhaust valves, heavy duty valve springs, high strength rocker arms, high temp cylinder head cover gaskets, high temp valve seals and shields, 360 four barrel intake manifold, heavy duty exhaust manifolds, double roller timing chain, hyperutectic pistons (flat top w/o valve reliefs, piston pin height raised 0.020 due to 360 open chambers (approx 74cc), 8.5 to 1 compression ratio), special piston-to-block clearances (allowable by use of the hyperutectic pistons), heavy duty chrome plated oil rings, forged steel connecting rods, lubrite treated camshaft (4bbl hydraulic version had 340 cam: 430/444 lift with 268/276 duration, roller version had 391/391 lift with 240/240 duration) windage tray and a heavy duty water pump (large bearing). (Specs from Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler Police Cars 1979-1994 and the Allpar website + others).

thank you for that! That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I found that 4 bolt main conversation on this forum about 5 years ago. It was someone that goes by 70aarcoda? I'm sure you could possibly drill 4 bolt mains (which I'm told would make it weaker) so if a 318 (race engine) does exist? Someone must have a picture of the stock 4 bolt mains, the X on the front of it, and all that supposed stuff?

???????!!??

Thanks rapom 65!! Again these are the kind of answers i joined this forum to get. not to say that those answers like, my friends cousins brothers uncles next door neighbor told me that one time a Mopar had four bolt mains answers aren't fun, but really the ones that help like you provided are the real ones that I'm looking for.

again I'd like to post pictures of time slips, of the biuld, videos of the drag races, and stuff like that but I use my mobile device 4 internet and I'm not sure if I can do it and no ones showed me how and I'm having trouble finding a way of doing it. any info would be helpful again like I said in an earlier post pictures are worth a thousand words thank you men.

70aarcuda is Tony. He is here. I would not bother adding the extra bolts to a sock block. If you NEED to do that then it is really time for a race block which can come with 4 bolt mains if you Order it that way. There are many part numbers for the race blocks so be sure of what your ordering when you do.

One more time! Thank you rapom 65! I could not find it in my pictuers this time, but I found on an old build sheet where I was taking down all kinds of numbers. the heads inside 360 and had the numbers
4027596 as you describe them to be. As the police pursuit motors this could also explain the great performance I'm getting out of the motor as I have not taken the heads to see if the pistons come to the top and have no valve release in them for higher compression. I mean not real high compression, but better than a stock 318 with 360 heads.

People ask me why I do crazy unconventional stuff, I just tell them because I can.

I have found over the years, that if you tell a "Mopar nut" that something CAN'T BE DONE, one of them will figure out how to do it....

Example: Way back in the old days, I was walking around the Nats with a fellow Mopar nut named Hal. We got to an f body and he said, "just a minute, I have to see this..."

He asked the owner, "How did you do this? I was told that it couldn't be done..."

So the guy told him how he got a 440 to fit in his F body.

Hal had a 77 Volare station wagon with a 360 4 speed, 3.23 gears, and Rhoades lifters (he's the guy that started me on them). His wagon got 23 MPG and could embarrass the IROC Camaros off the stop lights back in those days...

It's like if you tell a mopar nut that something can't be done, they accept the challenge and do it....

I have found over the years, that if you tell a "Mopar nut" that something CAN'T BE DONE, one of them will figure out how to do it....

Example: Way back in the old days, I was walking around the Nats with a fellow Mopar nut named Hal. We got to an f body and he said, "just a minute, I have to see this..."

He asked the owner, "How did you do this? I was told that it couldn't be done..."

So the guy told him how he got a 440 to fit in his F body.

Hal had a 77 Volare station wagon with a 360 4 speed, 3.23 gears, and Rhoades lifters (he's the guy that started me on them). His wagon got 23 MPG and could embarrass the IROC Camaros off the stop lights back in those days...

It's like if you tell a mopar nut that something can't be done, they accept the challenge and do it....

Oh I'm a nut alright! ! My uncle told me that I couldn't do this and i couldn't do that! Worst yet chevys are better and mopars are cheep junk!? Thank you uncle!!! That's all he had to say. And now I have a bad *** mopar 318 that will beat any chevy he's even owned! !

j par, glad you found my post helpful.

The Police package motors don't get much, if any, love from Moparists. I think that is a result of a perception that 318s are low compression utility motors in general, exacerbated by larger 360 heads/4 bbl intake/carb, and the thought that police motors are high mileage and there fore worn out. The factory took steps to compensate for the 360 heads bigger combustion chambers by raising the piston pin height to keep compression up and the 340 cam takes advantage of some of the breathing capacity available from the top end. I bought my motor for $250, carb to pan out of the car, then added a LD 340 intake (for weight loss and because I had it sitting on a shelf) and some Spitfire shorty headers (Layson copies). It makes for a really nice motor for a street car especially in something small and light like my early Cuda. As far as high mileage these cars received fleet maintenance so regular oil changes/tune ups/repairs and most police departments of the time replaced their cars once they reached a set usage point. From my findings this seemed to be around 100,000 miles. My motor has 110,000 on it. I have a lifter that ticks until it warms up a bit but other than that it is oil tight and smoke free. If you really want to wake one of these motors up all that is needed is some domed pistons to get the compression up in the 10 range. Everything else is already there.

-
Back