318 pulley mistake, need the correct size.

-
5 7/8ths dia will should clear the crank pulley and the depth is the same. So it seems like it should work, but why is listed for a 340 non A/C car? Are the water pumps different? IDK, but maybe I could make it work.
There are 2 different water pumps.
6 Vane = A/C pump (smaller pulley)
8 Vane = Non A/C pump (standard pulley)

I don't want to have a pile of pulleys that don't work for me.
LOL that's why I was willing to give that one away

Looking at photos you don't need a two-groove pulley at all, it's nothing like the ones I've got.

1720539583180.png

LOL that's why I was willing to give that one away

Looking at photos you don't need a two-groove pulley at all, it's nothing like the ones I've got.

View attachment 1716274009
I'll bolt the power steering pump on later later and see how the belt alignment is before I buy another pulley. The other problem is now people claim stuff is for a 340 and ask way too much money. So buying online will take some time.

A LOT of external 340 stuff is same for 318, 273. Pulleys for the most part make no difference, but once you start playing the mix n match game it feels like your playing the "medicine cabinet" game lol.
I'll bolt the power steering pump on later later and see how the belt alignment is before I buy another pulley. The other problem is now people claim stuff is for a 340 and ask way too much money. So buying online will take some time.

I have a matched set of pulleys of a 318 AC car, 1974 Charger, I could dig them out, and at least give you the correct part numbers off them.

Finally getting the pulleys on the motor and well... the pulleys for the crank and water pump hit each other and both cannot be bolted on together. I bought these pulleys a good while ago and they are supposed to be for a 318, 340, or 360 with A/C. I have been trying to keep stuff like this correct enough for the 73 model year for my Dart /6 to 318 conversion and going with factory A/C and P/S and whatever is similar, so now I need to find out what the actual pully sizes should be.

What I have:
Crank diameter 7 1/4 - 7 3/8"(3 groove) 3 1/8" maybe deep.
Water pump diameter, 6.5"(single groove) 2 1/8" deep.
Belt alignment looks like it may be ok by eye, but I really don't know for sure.

I don't know if one or both are wrong, any help with the measurements is appreciated.
Read up. There will be a test when you're done. :poke: :lol:

5 7/8ths dia will should clear the crank pulley and the depth is the same. So it seems like it should work, but why is listed for a 340 non A/C car? Are the water pumps different? IDK, but maybe I could make it work.
I expect the seller pulled the pulley from a non AC 340.

I expect the seller pulled the pulley from a non AC 340.
The measurements are pretty close to what I need, but the price is too much. With shipping, fees and taxes I'll be spending around $70 and then I still need to spend time cleaning and painting it. I don't know if the seller will accept 25 - 35 dollars, I'll try.

Last edited:
The measurements are pretty close to what I need, but the price is too much. With shipping, fees and taxes I'll be spending around $70 and then I still need to spend time cleaning and painting it. I don't know if the seller will accept 25 - 35 dollars, I'll try.
Made an offer of 40 dollars and it was accepted, I think it's fair enough considering it's on ebay. This pulley should work by my math.

I’m not near my FSM but IIRC by 1973 at the latest Chrysler was over driving the water pump by 19-20%.

That’s what I shoot for.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a company that sells a matching pair of single v-groove pulleys that overdrive the water pump?
CVF does but dammit I forgot to look up the part numbers up for someone on here.

Unreal.

So my best memory is I used one pulley from a 440. Can’t remember if it’s the top or bottom pulley but it will get you to 6% over.

If I can find them I’d drive the pump 25% over.

Of course I’m shifting at 6500-6800 rpm. If I was turning it higher I’d slow it down a bit to keep the belt on.

But you can bet all you can afford to lose but I’d test the 25% over pulleys on the dyno and if it didn’t throw the belt at 7500 rpm I’d run the 25% over pulleys and not even worry.

Edit: I profusely apologize to the member that I promised to look up the part numbers for (that’s bad English so I apologize for that) but my dad got sick and I had to come to my parents place 3.5 hours away. I might not go home for several weeks depending on how it goes. So I apologize that I forgot to look them up.

CVF does but dammit I forgot to look up the part numbers up for someone on here.
Unless they have something new, when I called them not too long ago they said they only had a 6.4" water pump pulley and a 6.4" 2-groove crank pulley - so 1:1 ratio. Easy enough to cut the outer groove off on a lathe, but that was considered their "high flow" set-up.

I may have a w/p pulley smaller than that that should work with that crank pulley though. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to come up with a decent single-groove set-up that overdrives the water pump.

When you get a chance, if you could get part numbers, that'd be great! No rush.

I have an old PAW catalog that list aluminum pulley sets by MOPAR and March, but I doubt that would be of any use.

Unless they have something new, when I called them not too long ago they said they only had a 6.4" water pump pulley and a 6.4" 2-groove crank pulley - so 1:1 ratio. Easy enough to cut the outer groove off on a lathe, but that was considered their "high flow" set-up.

I may have a w/p pulley smaller than that that should work with that crank pulley though. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to come up with a decent single-groove set-up that overdrives the water pump.

When you get a chance, if you could get part numbers, that'd be great! No rush.

I’m out of town at the moment and won’t be home for a while. The good news is my wife has to come over in a few days. I’ll FaceTime her and have her get the correct file and bring it with her.

I’m not near my FSM but IIRC by 1973 at the latest Chrysler was over driving the water pump by 19-20%.

That’s what I shoot for.
You might be close, I just did the math with the 7 1/8 crank and the 5 7/8 WP pulley that I had just ordered and I get a ratio of 0.82:1.

I have been going through the pulley search for a different combo with out AC, but I do have all the part numbers for your combo right out of the 73 Mopar parts manual. For a 318 with AC with power steering:
Crank (3 Groove) 3614377
WP (1 groove) 3418227
The 318 with AC use same pulleys as the 340 did. These pulleys are also available on eBay right now, at least they were on there a day ago when I was looking.

I have been going through the pulley search for a different combo with out AC, but I do have all the part numbers for your combo right out of the 73 Mopar parts manual. For a 318 with AC with power steering:
Crank (3 Groove) 3614377
WP (1 groove) 3418227
The 318 with AC use same pulleys as the 340 did. These pulleys are also available on eBay right now, at least they were on there a day ago when I was looking.
Well f**k me! I ordered the wrong pulley, but from my search the 3418228 and 3751126 are very close in size. If the one I ordered does not work, then I will need to locate the other one.

Update!

Got the pulley and it fits.
Now I think I should get a fan clutch instead of having a fan mechanically bolted to the water pump.

20240716_181118.jpg

Update!

Got the pulley and it fits.
Now I think I should get a fan clutch instead of having a fan mechanically bolted to the water pump.

View attachment 1716277086
Looks like you have the right setup for your app. HP needs a smaller crank pulley as the accessories need a larger one, to slow down the rotation, so not to overspend at high RPM's. Some even had a cooler at the power steering.

Looks like you have the right setup for your app. HP needs a smaller crank pulley as the accessories need a larger one, to slow down the rotation, so not to overspend at high RPM's. Some even had a cooler at the power steering.

That’s just not true. And it causes people to have cooling issues when they shouldn’t.

-
Back