318 timing

-

Flyinbrian72duster

Dart and duster
Reaction score
I'e got a 4bbl edy n performer intake n petronix ignition what' a good initial timming I'm getting hard start when hot I've put the recommnded carb spacer on it was thinking timming off it' at 10btc now

10° before is a good place to start. There have been volumes written about timing here on FABO. Use search and enlighten your knowledge. There is no perfect answer.

10 is a good starting place as long as the engine is in decent condition, you are taking the vacuum line off the distributor when setting it?
Eddy carbs have issues with hot starts from under-hood heat, but you could also have a starter itself issue, how close is the exhaust running by the starter.

You’ll more than likely end up around 16-19 initial. My 360 really like 18-19.

Jake
I'e got a 4bbl edy n performer intake n petronix ignition what' a good initial timming I'm getting hard start when hot I've put the recommnded carb spacer on it was thinking timming off it' at 10btc now

You’ll more than likely end up around 16-19 initial. My 360 really like 18-19.

Jake
And as long as the total isn't over 35° or so you will be ok. More initial, less mechanical advance. The vacuum can get as high as 50° as long as you don't ping.

And as long as the total isn't over 35° or so you will be ok. More initial, less mechanical advance. The vacuum can get as high as 50° as long as you don't ping.
Thanks mike, that’s the part I forgot.

Jake

10 is a good starting place as long as the engine is in decent condition, you are taking the vacuum line off the distributor when setting it?
Eddy carbs have issues with hot starts from under-hood heat, but you could also have a starter itself issue, how close is the exhaust running by the starter.
yea I unplug the vacuum advance motors stock 82k original timming mark don'
Jump around exhaust is not close this problem started when I put the intake n carb on if it sits for 10 min it fires right up half hour I have to floor it to start it

II'm getting hard start when hot I've put the recommnded carb spacer on it was thinking timming off it' at 10btc now
Help us with your hard start symptoms:
- Is it cranking over once or twice and then wanting to just stop?
- Or is it cranking and cranking at regular cranking speeds but not firing?

Help us with your hard start symptoms:
- Is it cranking over once or twice and then wanting to just stop?
- Or is it cranking and cranking at regular cranking speeds but not firing?
Cranks n cranks till I floor it than fires if it sits for 5 min fires right up if it sits for a half hour crank n crank til I floor it

How about a picture of how you routed your fuel line?

15267467447381508847576.jpg

Get rid of that rubber fuel line and put in a metal one. Does your car have bald tires? Probably not and the risk associated with your car being wrecked (from a bald tire failure) is about as high as running a rubber fuel line above a hot engine.

Get rid of that rubber fuel line and put in a metal one. Does your car have bald tires? Probably not and the risk associated with your car being wrecked (from a bald tire failure) is about as high as running a rubber fuel line above a hot engine.
Will do thank you

As others have indicated, start with 7 to 10 degrees and adjust from there. Presumably you’re using a timing light? If it has the advance/dialback feature, that makes it easier. Also plug your vacuum advance line running from the carb to distributor can.

No way would I run less than 10* initial timing. Unless you have to go through emissions testing, throw the book numbers in the trash where they belong.

It takes time, effort and work to get the timing profile correct. Stock distributors usually don't allow for adequate initial timing.

Simple test. Start the car and have it idling, give distributor a smidge of a twist to advance timing. If the engine picked up RPM, it wants the timing. PERIOD!!!

Let the engine tell you where it wants the timing.

You may also have some issues with fuel evaporation. It could be boiling off and flooding the engine. Really bad issue with todays fuels in non-sealed systems.

Cranks n cranks till I floor it than fires if it sits for 5 min fires right up if it sits for a half hour crank n crank til I floor it
OK... while your ignition timing may be helped with some work, that is not the cause of the hot starting problem. You have too much fuel (flooding) or not enough fuel.

When you floor it to finally get it to start, do you hold it to the floor and keep it continuously held to the floor and crank for a while, or just push to the floor and release it and then it starts? (Just trying to figure out if it is flooding, or starving for fuel.)

It looks from your pix that you have a carb spacer/insulator, but no carb heat shield under the carb. I'd be looking at something like this to help keep heat away from the carb:
Holley 108-70 Heat Shield Kit

The above link is for Holley carbs but you can make something like it that extends around the carb to reflect heat coming off of the engine that then soaks into the carb and causes fuel boiling problems.

OK... while your ignition timing may be helped with some work, that is not the cause of the hot starting problem. You have too much fuel (flooding) or not enough fuel.
I keep it floord
When you floor it to finally get it to start, do you hold it to the floor and keep it continuously held to the floor and crank for a while, or just push to the floor and release it and then it starts? (Just trying to figure out if it is flooding, or starving for fuel.)
I floor it while cranking

OK, sounds like it is flooded and your holding the throttle open eventually pulls the excess gas out of the engine.

Next time after stopping with the engine good & hot, wait 5 minutes and the start looking down the carb throat every 1-2 minutes. Put the air cleaner back on between looks. You will probably see fuel leaking down into the carb at some point.... if so, it's boiling out with the heat soaking into the carb.

What condition is the rest of the ignition system....spark plug wires, spark plugs and what gap, distributor cap and rotor corrosion free at the contacts? You can have timing dead nuts correct, but a weak spark won't do any good.
I have had the same starting issue after sitting to go in store or after refueling, and it was just the Eddy carb....they are great carbs, but sometimes throw fits.
I went with different carb and it starts within first revolution of crank hot or cold.

Thanks for all the responses everyone I'm pretty sure my ignition is good. I ordered a steel fuel line for pump to carb n filter like suggested and a 1/2 inch phenolic carb spacer. I will see if that helps and post my results

-
Back