318 windage tray. Torque spec?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Got a windage tray I'm thinking of putting on a 318. It didn't come with instructions. Anybody have them or a torque spec for the main cap bolts when I'm putting it back together?

Thanks!

Steve

I just put mine on a 340 i am building. The main cap bolts are special for the ones with the tray. There are holes inside the main bolts to bolt the windage tray to. They are 1/4 -20 x 3/4. My book didn't have a torque spec but i am sure if you snug them tight they should be fine. I put thread locker on them as well.

Hey All:

Got a windage tray I'm thinking of putting on a 318. It didn't come with instructions. Anybody have them or a torque spec for the main cap bolts when I'm putting it back together?

Thanks!

Steve

Though the LA windage tray requires using different main bolts on the 2nd and 4th main, the torque value on the mains is the same, 85 ft/lbs. I've always tightened to 45, 65, then 85 ft/lbs working from side to side on each cap to keep the caps from binding or pinching the bearings. The smaller bolts that hold the tray, I've torqued to 30 ft/lbs and have had no problems.

Did you loosen and retorque all the main cap bolts after installing the tray, or just the ones on the caps with the new bolts?

Thanks

Steve

after installing the tray you will not be able to get to the main bolts.

Install the main bolts just as 72 demon said 45 65 then 85 and then install the tray.

Make sure you have the special main bolts or you will not be able to install the tray.
fd9037.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I did get the bolts with the tray.

Steve

-
Back