318LA/906 SBE build it OR go Big block?

-

Sebambam

Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a 74' DUSTER
It's a factory 318/906; AC car.
It has longtubes on it and a factor 8-1/4 rear end.

I posted on the BIG BLOCK swap section as well since I have a MOHO 440 that I could swap in the DUSTER.

However I also consider to keep the 318 (if it's a good runner)
Throw in a gasket /reseal kit, new rings and bearings if needed
And bolt on performance parts.

Iam not trying to touch the SBE besides the CAM/Lifters.
From here on I consider.
Cheap Alu heads.. like the SPEEDMASTERS.
-Do the stock rockers work on those?
-stock pushrods?

And a dual plane INTAKE
ELECTRONIC ignition/HEI

What carb size do you recommend? A 650cfm?
I would probably go vac sec, since it's mainly a street car.

* I can also get the oem heads fully ported , milled etc but it will be arround same price as the alu heads.

What can be expected from this mods?

I wonder what's more COST effective

1.440 (cammed sbe, heads are milled and valve jobbed) Single Plane intake.
NEEDS: Oilpan. Swap mounts. 727trans. Carb. Headers( insane 900+ $) accessories brackets
And all parts to make the PS and AC of the 318 bolt on and work.

OR
The mentioned 318 mods?

Or even find a ROLLER CAM 5 2/5.9 for cheap and build that on the side to swap out for the LA motor.
I assume the LA oilpan, accessories etc bolt onto the 5.2/5.9??

Help me to not swap it.
PS :IM ON MY BUDGET!
NO I WILL NOT BUILD A FULL OUT ENGINE.
it will be a BUDGET approach .

20240811_084135.jpg

How long since it last ran. Forget the 440 for now. Try and get what you have running to see where your at. Trans and brake operation, the entire fuel system, electronics, etc. You may find your ''budget'' wont go as far as you think. JMO

Can you make 318 into a decent performer, Yes.

Basically gonna perform similar to a hopped up 327, I'd go with something like Speeded Master top end, 650, headers, something like a comp xe262h or xe268h, mild stall and 3.55-3.91 gears.

How long since it last ran. Forget the 440 for now. Try and get what you have running to see where your at. Trans and brake operation, the entire fuel system, electronics, etc. You may find your ''budget'' wont go as far as you think. JMO
i am in the process..
off course the starter is bad, so i ordered a Dakota mini Starter
then i will go from there...
i know the brakes are bad ( no brakes for now) but thats ok. i was aware.

Can you make 318 into a decent performer, Yes.

Basically gonna perform similar to a hopped up 327, I'd go with something like Speeded Master top end, 650, headers, something like a comp xe262h or xe268h, mild stall and 3.55-3.91 gears.

Thanks i have a summit racing down the road and so i look at there Summit brand Cam packages since they are well priced and decent quality.

DODGE 5.2L/318 Mopar small block LA Summit Racing Camshaft Kits - Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing

i am also looking at the Speedmaster heads,
i can get them checked out and work done if needed etc.
they are 65 CC chambers since i dont want to touch the Bottom end, how much could i mill this heads to add compression?
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 360 170cc 65cc Hydraulic Flat Assembled Cylinder Heads | eBay

and then a simple Dual plane intake.

a big block swap is not very budget friendly.

most cost effective? getting running what you currently have and addressing all the other issues of operation and driveability-- brakes, sorting out that fuel line, probably wiring, tires and a battery will absolutely eat up a bunch of cash in a hurry.

then build a 5.9 on the side because you can use most of your LA 318 parts on it-- mounts, oil pan, etc.

most cost effective? getting running what you currently have and addressing all the other issues of operation and driveability-- brakes, sorting out that fuel line, probably wiring, tires and a battery will absolutely eat up a bunch of cash in a hurry.

then build a 5.9 on the side because you can use most of your LA 318 parts on it-- mounts, oil pan, etc.
I have the BB already.
440 MOHO 76' all new parts .
Cam, intake, re-sealed & inspected sbe.
I need the swap mounts , oil pan headers, & accessory mounts for the PS .

Waiting on the headsback from the machine shop.
20240806_190226.jpg

I need the swap mounts , oil pan headers, & accessory mounts for the PS .

so, $2500 give or take. plus a transmission, converter, radiator, upgrading the fuel delivery system, suspension and your aforementioned brakes (which you may or may not be able to use the power booster).

Nope. He's gonna.needa 360 LA pan whether he uses a318 magnum or 360 magnum. The rest of stuff mentioned can be swapped over

Oh I forgot to add. I built a 74 dart with a 440.

I don't think I'd ever do another one. For street car the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I think I could put together a similar performing 5.9 swap for less money and hassle.

Oh I forgot to add. I built a 74 dart with a 440.

I don't think I'd ever do another one. For street car the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I think I could put together a similar performing 5.9 swap for less money and hassle.
thats a feedback i need.

-
Back