340 damage dilemma

-
Block was already at .030. wrist pin damage was .009. Decided to bore to .060.

Ok. I would have (we're I your machinist) told you to sleeve the hole with the pin trough and just go to .040 and still have one more over bore on a block.

I have long since learned that many shops do not know how to correctly install a sleeve and since they aren't sure how to do it, or had sleeves fail they do stupid crap like that and waste a perfectly good block.

If I were you I'd be pissed at the shop that did that and I'd never go there again.

And I almost never criticize another shop but that's just crap advice and work.

Live n learn, sleeve only the bad cyl and bore as little as possible next time.
800 is the going rate for 8 sleeves.
My opinion is... only if you're in love with that 340, otherwise but a crank and a 360 block that will go .020 over.

Unreal. Got treed last night and didn't see it.

I'm old and need to retire. My RT ain't what it once was.

I would never sleeve all 8 cyls of a cast block and plan on making any power out of it.

I can promise you this...if you are using Pcar castings the BEST way to make power is to sleeve all 8 holes. You'll gain power every single time.

It's done so much it's not funny and most people keep their mouth shut about it because it's an edge in racing where you have to run Pcar blocks.

This block already has a sleeved cylinder will need to go 60 over and the sonic test was not good..and your thinking of stroking it..good luck,I see..BOOM in the future!!!
Obviously since the sonic check was bad after being bored .060 I won't be stroking it. No BOOM BOOM for you.

And as far as sleeving the block they charge $350.00 per sleeve around here your talking $2400.00 might as well get a Ritter block..

And as far as sleeving the block they charge $350.00 per sleeve around here your talking $2400.00 might as well get a Ritter block..

You're getting screwed. Depending on the sleeve, they are 30-65 bucks. The first hole is 125 bucks the next are 50 each.

Anyone charging more than that is greedy or has old machines and tooling.

You're getting screwed. Depending on the sleeve, they are 30-65 bucks. The first hole is 125 bucks the next are 50 each.

I'm not getting screwed by anyone just saying what some shops charge..I would start with another block before ever having one sleeved!!

I'm not getting screwed by anyone just saying what some shops charge..I would start with another block before ever having one sleeved!!

I've set virtually hundreds and hundreds of sleeves. Unless you buy a China sleeve, the sleeve will always be better material than the block.

Sleeves work, are a quality fix.

That is not correct, if the sleeve and the original bore are in very close contact with each other as they should be for a press fit, the sonic wave will penetrate both and report back the total thickness. The only way only the sleeve would be measured would be if there was a cast iron sleeve in an aluminum block, with the tester calibrated to iron the iron thickness would be reported.

Nope. Doesn't work that way. At least never with my tester. Mine's a good one, and certified, and I've tested a bunch of blocks. The wave does not go past the backside of the sleeve. Ever.

That's a no brainer...
If you walked into my shop, I'd charge you $1,200 per sleeve. Lmao

Hahaha Hahaha Hahaha, dipped in sand before entry. No wonder you're a sore loser .

Fix it... I ran a 427 Ford FE with seven sleeves for a few years. Worked fine. And the magic of a 340 is the large bore/short stroke configuration.

A sleeved block is stronger than a stock block, too.

Why not? Everyone praises a properly installed sleeve.

I'll say it again...I've set so many sleeves it's silly. My last T/A block came with 8 sleeves in it. First thing I did was machine them out and installed 8 new sleeves that were made form a better material.

Then, I used those up, and set 8 more. When I finally sold it, it was ready for 8 new sleeves. Set those with the latest cool sleeves and that pig is still running and the owner says I made him a smoking deal on that block.

I've done it over and over and over.

Any machine shop doing much race engine building will be setting sleeves without issue. In fact, I've set 4 sleeves in brand new 2.3 Ford blocks many times. They always make more power.

We have had some bad shops around me most are gone now but I have had 4 blocks sleeved in the past and 2 blew out the cyl wall when pressing in the sleeve, one was a ford 300 6cyl, first cyl blew out the front and he said no big deal they do it some times wont hurt any thing. but the wall hit the water pump impeller. I had to bust out a big chunk of the wall to clear. The other one that broke out, over time rusted between the cyl and sleeve and pushed out the cyl wall till it hit the outer wall of the block and blocked off the water flow on that side of the block. Anybody else had anything like this happen.

I've decided not to sleeve this block and gamble on the outcome with my limited dollars. Maybe if I could pluck a handful of $100 bills off a tree in the backyard I would go for it. There were a couple other factors involved in that decision as well. The block itself has no sentimental value to me. Already acquired a 360 block and crank that look to be in great shape, setting at the shop awaiting hot tank and magnaflux. Thanks for the input.

The sleeves aren't the expensive part as you just stated, however it is the TIME to do it right. It takes more than 2 hours per hole to sleeve and FINISH hone/resurface the block if needed CORRECTLY. You must work for minimum wage YR or have some super fast , Star Trek tech machinery which I highly doubt. $125 for the first hole and your'e already losing money--$50 for every one after that and you're claiming bankruptcy. It's just a matter of time. Actually disregard what I just wrote. Can I send you a couple of blocks ? I need 8 sleeves in each-you can even supply the sleeves. J.Rob

-
Back