340 exhaust manifold heat shield

-
IMHO it WILL last a lifetime BUT I would have your manifolds "decked" to true them up and make them flat before compressing the gasket

Ok, if anyone wants to see what a $7 heat shield looks like, here it is. I bought three of them long ago (McCord) and the boxes had shields for both sides. I'd be glad to give this one up to VANS and will contact them to see if they are interested in seeing/borrowing it. It does not have the factory part number because it is not original but it is the right fit. As you can tell, this one was used a long time.

IMG_0964 Large.jpeg

IMG_0965 Large.jpeg

IMG_0966 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
How long will the gasket last on your car? For the car typically getting these... for your lifetime.

How long will the ebay listing last? ... we'll see if they can find someone that doesn't know that there's a good chance this part is being re-popped soon. 340 exhaust heat shield needed for Van's to repop.
I meant how long before someone grabs it up. The last very expensive one sold almost immediately.

If I had a spare, I'd sell it to Van's. But mine is one of the repops from 20 years ago, so maybe not perfect for those who have to have an exact copy of an original like the one on Ebay.

This would be one for Van's to buy. Maybe they already have one to copy and news of a upcoming reproduction has reached Brad's. So Brad's is trying to sell theirs while the value is still high. In any event, I bookmarked the sale page out of curiosity.

I always ran a gasket on the head side. Doing it this way you could reuse them and they stayed in good shape.

I meant how long before someone grabs it up. The last very expensive one sold almost immediately.

If I had a spare, I'd sell it to Van's. But mine is one of the repops from 20 years ago, so maybe not perfect for those who have to have an exact copy of an original like the one on Ebay.

This would be one for Van's to buy. Maybe they already have one to copy and news of a upcoming reproduction has reached Brad's. So Brad's is trying to sell theirs while the value is still high. In any event, I bookmarked the sale page out of curiosity.

I've noticed in past where a Repro part comes out and like 6 months before you oddly saw an unusual amount of NOS and/or Used of that part for sale.

Word leaks out ahead.

Last edited:
I just noticed that these have the earlier heatshield like the 273 but are for a 340, it has a different part number 2863599 not 2946105, the 68 parts book has 2946105[] noting a new number. Pages in the parts book get updated as changes happen. So has anyone ever seen one like this?

In another post @S'cuder said he had one with the 2863599 but it looked liked the one with the connecting web.
[WANTED] - 340 Heat Exhaust Shield 68-70

3003566-10.jpg

3003566-08.jpg

Alan

I just noticed that these have the earlier heatshield like the 273 but are for a 340, it has a different part number 2863599 not 2946105, the 68 parts book has 2946105[] noting a new number. Pages in the parts book get updated as changes happen. So has anyone ever seen one like this?

In another post @S'cuder said he had one with the 2863599 but it looked liked the one with the connecting web.
[WANTED] - 340 Heat Exhaust Shield 68-70

View attachment 1716260483
View attachment 1716260482

Alan
Good catch, Al. The Ebay sale post says the gasket set is for early '68s, so that's probably why it has the 273 style shields, but the 340 port configuration. Maybe the connected shields held together better than the early design. If we could dig up some fall of 1967 road test photos, we might get an answer as to what was what. The only 340 picture in my September 1967 dated sales brochure is cropped so the shields can't be seen.

The numerical index of the parts manuals I have dated March 1969 (superseding April 1968) list both 3004566 (early) and 3004726 (later) gasket packages. But in the application page, it only shows the later one. So clearly, this early one was replaced by then. Maybe there's a TSB? I didn't find one on the Hamtramck site.

I think the stamped number 2863599 is the "engineering" number, similar to what we call casting numbers. Used by Chrysler to deliberately confuse us 50+ years later.

This is kind of fun. I'm glad I'm not stressing over having to have the absolute correct too-expensive unobtanium part for my car.

I just saw this thread, and planned to just use gaskets, and route the wires so they dont touch. I also have high heat insulated nomex sleeves to go over the spark plug wires by the manifolds. I care about originality but not $600 worth of originality on something that is essentially a gasket/heat shield. This should only cost maybe $30- $50. Talk about getting bent over and having it broke off in your ***. But only if you pay that much for it.

-
Back