340 General Rebuild Info- Cam Recommendations

-
Alrighty then! First couple of pic's are: "I don't have much of a clue things in the engine compartment!" Rest are just general purpose what I've been left with.

So what is this first thing adjacent to the M/C here on the firewall? With the connector towards the bottom of it facing into the engine comp?

Thingy #2 over beneath the LH hood hinge/cowl so to speak. No clue.

Thingy's #3: I believe these must be tail lamp gaskets and are likely hard to find in good shape?

OK, the rest are just because. Original Hurst for 71? 6K in dash tach, and chrome rear bits that have seen mo'better days!!!!

Clutch fan. Did Mopar do this for mileage? Less drag at speed?

Optional 8 horn or 9....final count TBD, feature! Me thinks that there are 6-7 too many horns here. (In the two pic's you only see the two horns on top of each side...there are two more below these, on each side!) What is proper config? One on each side of core support, or two together? Gotta be enough copper wire in here for me to get an ice cold Coke.... Have yet to deal with sorting this out once I get going on it. I put some late model Crown Vic "made in Italy" Fiamm horns in my other car which was sounding pretty pathetic, and WOW did that make a difference when I hit the "get outta my way" button!!! They draw some pretty good current, so good idea to use a relay to drive them! Only thing better would be one of those Fiamm air horns with the little compressor thing! They make some NOISE too!

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

Last edited:
PS: Are J and X heads both the same combustion chamber size if the valves are indeed different here? How much smaller are the "small" valves....?

Good shop manual or such recommendations for these engines?

1970 J heads(915's) are big valve 1.60/2.02 the latter years are small valve with hardened seats.....X heads 68-69 only had big valve

Guessing these are the "J" markings although they look like big "U"s..... Sooooo, actual valve size remains TBD!
U O J Z castings are pretty much the same.
There is a part number on the heads. IIRC that will identify what they originally had in terms of application. Have to remove the covers to see those.

Appears to be original carb, but not sure where numbers are and not worried at the moment...I know it needs an accel pump. Dist also appears to be orig. I can see tag on front of it, but can't get in to read what the numbers are
That's good. Tag on means its probably not molested.

It has this dual inlet "no snorkle" air cleaner on it. I would expect 71 to have heated air to the carb in CA??? So guessing that this is something that the prev owner swapped in?? I have more pic's of mystery items that I will ask about in the engine compartment but will save that for next post. Gotta go finish cleaning up a wheel rim....ugh!
Many of your questions can be found in the factroy lit. Links below

Decal in trunk "says" Sure-Grip......but stickers only cost pennies to install..... Can't get under car easily at the moment.....cats let the air out of one rear tire.....and I can't put my hands on the other set of rear gears that "I think" came with the car.
Once you jack the rear up, turn a wheel. if the other moves the same directions, it has an LSD.

Factory Liturature Resources on-line:
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Library Page (1970 - 1974)
Sales Lit, options, and corrections to Service Manuals (TSBs) plus a variety of other material.

Online Imperial Club (OIC) for Imperial, Chrysler Imperial, and Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Enthusiasts
A very complete descriptive index of the Master Technicians Conference

However it has some broken links since changing from .org and .com to info.

www.mymopar.com also has the MTSC booklets and filmstrips and movies, but not as good an index.
So use the two websites together.
mymopar also has Service and Parts manuals available as digital downloads (pdf).
So that will get you going even if you prefer to buy a paper copy.

1688125338728.png

Ballast Resistor for Points distributor
1688125688872.png

When the key is in Run, the ignition run wire from the key switch is hot. It supplies power for all the function needed to run the engine, and nothing else.
So this is power to the coil (thorugh the ballast resistor), power to the alternator's rotor, and choke electric assist if so equiped. ( I don't know what the othe stuff is in you photo that is piggy-backed onto the terminal. )
1688126163286.png

Full diagram is in the service manual.
You car has the Ralley Dash. Which a lot of us like.
Clutch fan. Did Mopar do this for mileage? Less drag at speed?
Yes.

In the ballast resistor pic, what is the extra "tag wire" on the left side do? My '71 doesn't have it.
I don't know. That's what I was calling a piggyback. Does look it could be factory.

Mattax,
GREAT response with the illustrated bits! Thank-you!
That is one sneaky place to put a ballast resistor! I'll see if I can follow that single wire back to....??? Could it be a tach feed wire?

...more to come!
Steve

Here's one guess.
1688135695896.png

plymouth shop manul shows welded junction 1.
Since the idle stop solenoid only was for the 340 engine, instead of making a unique harness, production engineering might have made one harness using a junction at the terminal and the idle stop solenoid wire plugged in as we see it.
The leaves just one welded splice in the harness. Probably easier to build and route.

Here's another one.
Very likely since its a CAS (Clean Air System) for California.
1688136064970.png

I haven't read up on that system. Looks pretty simple. Wait, I think its way to control NOx on decelleration. Solenoid vac valve is on, or tid to the distributor vacum advance.

Also notice in the '71 FSM that Chrysler changed the coding for the wire connection from the ballast resistor to the coil. It became brown, same the ignition start wire, and is renamed J3A.
1688136842668.png

-
Back