340 Oil Priming Question First Start

-
Just keep in mind that not everyone has found oil to the top using the methods described. Sometimes it's at those points and sometimes not. Just word to the wise.
Can you please elaborate as I am not following.

I’ll be training the wife on manning the drill whilst I crank the crank and the at h for flow and be mindful of the crank position CFD described above.
Thanks!
I would turn it a little and wait. Rinse and repeat while she "womans" the drill. lol

Ah you mean at the points described by CFD? Is that because not all cranks are the same wrt oil pathways?

Can you please elaborate as I am not following.
The positions in post #21. Sometimes the oil flows there and sometimes not. It's dependent on several things. Position of cam bearings, location of the oil passages in the block and camshaft. All of that can vary slightly making your outcome possibly a little different.

Last edited:
I’ll be training the wife on manning the drill whilst I crank the crank and the at h for flow and be mindful of the crank position CFD described above.
Thanks!
If the cam is already broken in then the method that I mentioned is the easiest way and it won't hurt a thing.

With the wife helping won't be an issue. Make small dots on balancer where u get oil, I'm curious. Also make sure wife WHOAHS on the 1st WHOAH. Oil flowed out on me over edge and down side of freshly painted engine :BangHead:

If the cam is already broken in then the method that I mentioned is the easiest way and it won't hurt a thing.

No Dan, it will hurt ****. I don’t get how you can read everything posted here and STILL you think you gave good advice.

There is never a reason other than being lazy to lay on the starter to prime the engine.

You do understand there is virtually ZERO oil coming off the rods, and that is the oil that lines the cam.

As the lobes get more aggressive the more likely you are to kill parts.

Here is a FACT. You do far more damage laying on the starter to prime an engine than if you just start it and get it running. That’s not opinion. That’s the fact. And I’m talking about the OP and his case.

Even though the cam has been run, your advice can end up screwing the OP. HARD.

Think that through Dan. You could be responsible for telling a guy exactly the wrong thing to do.

And then you doubled down on it and evidently you think it’s not an issue. It is. Your advice was bad and wrong.

No Dan, it will hurt ****. I don’t get how you can read everything posted here and STILL you think you gave good advice.

There is never a reason other than being lazy to lay on the starter to prime the engine.

You do understand there is virtually ZERO oil coming off the rods, and that is the oil that lines the cam.

Here is a FACT. You do far more damage laying on the starter to prime an engine than if you just start it and get it running. That’s not opinion. That’s the fact. And I’m talking about the OP and his case.

Think that through Dan. You could be responsible for telling a guy exactly the wrong thing to do.

And then you doubled down on it and evidently you think it’s not an issue. It is. Your advice was bad and wrong.
I was under the impression that the OP already had oil pressure, l believe 60psi he said. If that's true then wouldn't all of the bearings have oil to them? Just asking

The positions in post #21. Sometimes the oil flows there and sometimes not. It's dependent on several things. Position of cam bearings, location of the oil passages in the block and camshaft. All of that can vary slightly making your outcome possibly a little different.

Likely has to do with whether the crank was on the first rotation, or the second rotation .
Crank has to turn twice to get the cam to turn once .
It was covered in the sticky .
You had this Steve ! lol

Last edited:
This is gona have to suffice, cant find the original.
1715392703134.png

I could be wrong here but I thought that the OP already had the system primed but wasn't getting oil to the valve train. If that's the case then would it cause harm to the valve train by spinning it over with the starter. If I misunderstood, I apologize for giving the OP bad information.

I'm confused here, how can he have 60psi oil pressure and no oil going to the rod bearings

I could be wrong here but I thought that the OP already had the system primed but wasn't getting oil to the valve train. If that's the case then would it cause harm to the valve train by spinning it over with the starter. If I misunderstood, I apologize for giving the OP bad information.

Ok Dan, let’s see if I can get you to see this.

The VAST majority of the oil that lubes the camshaft comes from the oil thrown off the rods.

Now think about this Dan. When you are laying on the starter, trying to get oil to the top (or anywhere else for that matter) how much oil do you think is coming off the rods?

To that end, how long do you think it would take to kill a lobe that isn’t getting oil????????? And that’s talking about a FT lobe that’s already been broken in.

I get that you think the gauge had pressure so it’s good to go, but doing what you advocate will eventually **** someone.

And what happens if something is wrong and one or both heads aren’t getting oil??? Doing it your way (pressure on the gauge but nothing at the heads) means he could be missing another issue like an improperly installed cam bearing or some other issue. So he fires it up and the gauge says it’s good to go. Except in short order it starts killing adjusters and the rockers are grabbing the shaft because there is no oil there.

Like I said at the start, there is no reason to do what you advocate. You are going to screw someone if you aren’t careful.

Ok Dan, let’s see if I can get you to see this.

The VAST majority of the oil that lubes the camshaft comes from the oil thrown off the rods.

Now think about this Dan. When you are laying on the starter, trying to get oil to the top (or anywhere else for that matter) how much oil do you think is coming off the rods?

To that end, how long do you think it would take to kill a lobe that isn’t getting oil????????? And that’s talking about a FT lobe that’s already been broken in.

I get that you think the gauge had pressure so it’s good to go, but doing what you advocate will eventually **** someone.

And what happens if something is wrong and one or both heads aren’t getting oil??? Doing it your way (pressure on the gauge but nothing at the heads) means he could be missing another issue like an improperly installed cam bearing or some other issue. So he fires it up and the gauge says it’s good to go. Except in short order it starts killing adjusters and the rockers are grabbing the shaft because there is no oil there.

Like I said at the start, there is no reason to do what you advocate. You are going to screw someone if you aren’t careful.
I understand what you mean and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I really think that I miss understood what was going on here and I apologize to everyone

Guy’s need your help. Again I am new to C-SBM oiling.
My wife and I worked on priming the oil manually. We held a constant 60psi while I slowly rotated the motor.
I never saw much more than drips out of the bottoms of the rockers.
I expected at one point to see it come through the small holes (see pic) on the rocker arms but those remained dry on both sides.
I rotated the crank 4 times through the complete valve sequence.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_2007.jpeg

when we did my fresh 360 we used the prime tool and a 1/4" ratchet. spun the oil pump by hand and achieved 60 psi of oil pressure. while my buddy was spinning the pump i slowly spun the crank until we got oil to both heads. super easy and took only a couple minutes.

when we did my fresh 360 we used the prime tool and a 1/4" ratchet. spun the oil pump by hand and achieved 60 psi of oil pressure. while my buddy was spinning the pump i slowly spun the crank until we got oil to both heads. super easy and took only a couple minutes.
Joe this is exactly what I have been doing. We did 3 sessions of this without seeing any oil flow out through the rocker arm holes. I ASSUME I should see some at two points of the cam/crank rotation.

Maybe take rocker shafts off and chk for flow there 1st? I know it took "a bit" to find her sweet spot.
Joe this is exactly what I have been doing. We did 3 sessions of this without seeing any oil flow out through the rocker arm holes. I ASSUME I should see some at two points of the cam/crank rotation.

maybe you passed the spot too quickly?

maybe you passed the spot too quickly?
Maybe but @60 psi and rotating by hand every 40 degrees and stoping and doing it again …… wouldn’t that be much much longer in duration (aligned and open to flow) than running the motor at 2000 rpm? At that speed and higher the engine needs lubrication. Should oil spit out those holes even if I roll by hand past those points?

have the rocker arms been off the heads at some point recently? they need to be orientated in a specific way on assembly so that the oil feed holes in the shafts align with the ones in the head.

-
Back