340 plans

-

wade

Reaction score
hi guys, ive been on this site for few years now, im a mopar guy at heart, my forst car was a 68 cuda fastback with a mild 440 out of a 69 imperial, great car to learn on when i was 16, ive had a few since but i got caught up in the whole stuff a chevy into a mustang thing. ok oko enough said, any way i picked up a 69 340 swinger last weekend for a steal, numbers maching all that good stuff, i want to rebuild the 340 for now till this winter when i put a 6.1 hemi with either a 6 speed stick or a 5 speed auto with paddle shift.

heres my plan, redo the 340, its only got 30000 miles on it but its all apart, replace pistons with .040 over kieth blacks, 10.5 to 1, port the X heads to let them breath a bit, hardened valve seats and have the valves cleaned up. im thinking of running the whiplash cam with a 2500 tci street fighter cam, i believe the car has 391 gears in it, ut ill have to check. im gonna run the stock hp manifolds and tti 2.5 inch exhaust from the manifolds back. edelbrock performer rpm with a 750dp thats sitting in the garage. ow does this sound?Thanks

why do you want to put all that money in a great motor that they do not build anymore then screw it all up to change the motor. build your 340 and you can be surprised how it will turn on. I would not get rid of my 340 for love nor money. HAPPINESS IS A HIGH WINDING 340. JUST MY OPINION DO NOT GET PISSED i JUST LOVE 340'S

I see nothing wrong with your thoughts about the 340......

But Wade, it's July.....Doesn't the winter in Edmonton start sometime in September? :poke:

I think if you found a 30,000 mile original 340'swinger you should leave it that way. Anything you do to hot rod it will hurt the value of the car. If you want to build a hot rod go buy a 318 dart and hot rod that. My 2 cents

Yeah. Paddle shift, recarro seats, 22s, curb feelers, a 5' go wing, and flip flop paint. Go for it.

Why butcher a numbers matching car ???? Buy a slant 6 mobile and butcher that !

Rebuild the 340 , use forged pistons like the factory did , I used Mahle 10.5:1 forged , Air gap intake with 750 street avenger , clean and port the heads you'll be making over 400 hp if done right . Don't butcher a numbers matching 340

Forget the haters. It's your car; do what ya want to it.

Your plan for the 340 sounds like a good build.

Nobody's hatin on anything guy. Why is it when people have differing opinions somebody always says somebody's hatin? Everybody's entitled to whatever opinion they want. Not everybody will be fartin fluffy bunnies, unicorns and rainbows.

It's hard to find a 30,000 mile original 340 these days , why butcher it ? You can find plenty of 318 or slant Darts in good shape to hot rod . Really it devalues the car big time , why throw money out the window ?
I'd love to find and buy another ORIGINAL low mile 340 Dart , hard to find , most have been butchered , or have 200,000 miles on them . Feel like selling ?

It's hard to find a 30,000 mile original 340 these days , why butcher it ? You can find plenty of 318 or slant Darts in good shape to hot rod . Really it devalues the car big time , why throw money out the window ?
I'd love to find and buy another ORIGINAL low mile 340 Dart , hard to find , most have been butchered , or have 200,000 miles on them . Feel like selling ?

I definitely understand what you're saying. I guess it's just not always about the money for some people. He said he got a good deal on it. Maybe it was the only one around where he lives??? What's wrong with taking the car and making it his own no matter what it was from the factory. All he did was ask for opinions on his 340 build.

Nobody's hatin on anything guy. Why is it when people have differing opinions somebody always says somebody's hatin? Everybody's entitled to whatever opinion they want. Not everybody will be fartin fluffy bunnies, unicorns and rainbows.

He asked for opinions on his 340 build and people told not to butcher his car. How does that help him or answer his questions???

I'm quite interested in his 340 build so I hope people give him some actual feedback on the 340 without telling him to keep his car stock.

I will admit though; Fartin fluffy bunnies unicorns and rainbows had me smiling. Good one!! :D

It helps him in that maybe he did not know that his car was perhaps worth more than what he thought. How's that?

I definitely understand what you're saying. I guess it's just not always about the money for some people. He said he got a good deal on it. Maybe it was the only one around where he lives??? What's wrong with taking the car and making it his own no matter what it was from the factory. All he did was ask for opinions on his 340 build.
It's not about money , it's about an H car that is hard to find these days , at least one that is ORIGINAL low miles, not restored , not beaten to death . That's MY opinion , don't like to see them H cars modified to death . I have 2 H cars , and I use a spare motor I rebuilt to drive and race , put in an overdrive , (gas is 1.70+ a litre) but keep all the original parts ready to put back on , all bolt on easy to put back to original .
Putting a hemi in there will take some major mods , if I did it it would be on a 318 or 225 Dart . And I think the hemi Dart is a great idea , just not a low mile original H car

It helps him in that maybe he did not know that his car was perhaps worth more than what he thought. How's that?
And going up(especially an original low miles car ) , A bodies are just catching on , light decent gas mileage , so can be driven often .

Yup. Once you grind metal off with a die grinder, it's gone. It's only original once.

X heads, ported, hardened seats,high compressoon pistons, tti exhaust,391,whiplash cam,750 double pumper...And stock exhaust manifolds ?
Okie Dokie. :)

Stick a roller valve train in it (cam lifters rockers).

gotta love forums, jonny dart, yeah thats right stock mainfolds, heres the reason, im doing a hemi swap in the winter. thanks guys i love the **** talking, its the best part lol. i know what these things are worth, im not going to butcher any thing, like was mentioned earlrier its not about the money, ive already ordered new fiberglass fenders and replacement ineer fenders for the car, im going to do a simple clean up on the 340 cause its already apart any way, im not to concerned about exhaust flow as the car will probably just get broken in before winter starts any way, then the motor will be crated up and put on a shelf and left alone, once i pull out the k member it to will go on the shelf along with what ever other parts i pull off, that way it can be put back together if ever needed.

i think the motor should make it a fun little car, i had a similar combo in my 70 duster a few years back.

Rusty rat rod are you retarded? every on knows 22's are gay, 30 inch wheels are where its at dawg.
no no no, im going to run 15x6 ralleys up front and 15x10's out back with small tubs and 295/60/15's im going to put it back to avinal top as all the trim is mint, im honestly thinking a black car and the green modtop trim. ill post pics of the car today. it needs some body work but is solid as ****. one thing i want to ask is, the fender tag is missing, where can i get a new one, i havent found the build sheet fr the car, if its in the headliner it can stay as its in killer shape, thanks boys and let the **** talking fly again

Leave the guy alone, it is his car he can do what he wants with it.

Just think how much more valuable destroying a numbers matching car will make all of the others that are not messed with ;)

I wish ihad never sold my 340 even though it would have been .060 over it buzzed nice and was a quik engine . yes good build iwish I remember wich cam I had put in mine 30 years ago I know it was a purple shaft , but don't remember what size lift or duration , I also usedstock manifolds with a bigger cam

Not dissing you Wade, if your not trying to squeeze every pony out of it, hipo manifolds work fine.

What I dont get,is why you dont just go to the Hemi build ?

Seems like a lot of work/money for a couple months of summer driving. That is if you get get it together that fast.

hey jonny, its not to much work to screw a motor together quickly, and like i said im not to concerned about the money, id like to get the car back on the road and just cruze around for a few months, turns out im being sent out of town for two months so i might not even get to it before the end of august, if thats the case ill still rebuild the c40 and crate it up, i dont want to damage it, and id like to keep the car as original as possible. minus suspension and drive line mods.

Funny thing is, that's the kind of mods that guys did back in the day when the car was 10 years old or so and nothing was said. It was actually considered a good thing.
(Except for the modern stuff wasn't available then of course).
It's your car, build it the way you want, wade.
It takes a man to restore an original 340 car.
It takes a real man to cut one up and modify it.
Now, let's see some pictures of this bad boy!

-
Back