340 r.i.p.

-
No joke i have already had someone go into my camper and take a dump and eat all the canned food, so I don't need any more gypsy's.

I did find a local guy that has a couple LA 360's for $200 and a 71 340 for $900. He will guarantee them and has a good reputation.

No joke i have already had someone go into my camper and take a dump and eat all the canned food, so I don't need any more gypsy's.

I did find a local guy that has a couple LA 360's for $200 and a 71 340 for $900. He will guarantee them and has a good reputation.

I am not surprised.....I have friends working up there and I hear it is wild west.
The 200.00 360 would be a nice option....cheap enough that you could throw bearings and a cam at it. If you could hear it run , maybe just a cam.
Is there any saving the heads from your old motor ? Start working on making a nice top end for the 360 and when the time is right , bolt on and go.

I am not surprised.....I have friends working up there and I hear it is wild west.
The 200.00 360 would be a nice option....cheap enough that you could throw bearings and a cam at it. If you could hear it run , maybe just a cam.
Is there any saving the heads from your old motor ? Start working on making a nice top end for the 360 and when the time is right , bolt on and go.

I'm thinking the same thing. One 360 ran real good when he took it out but had over 100k miles. The other motor is a 71 shortblock. so I was thinking of freshening up the runner and using the short block for a nice build. I was going to have my 340 j heads checked out, they look fine but I'm no expert. Between the three motor I should be able to make something work. Having the car drivable would be nice because I'm finishing another project before I start the 72 Swinger.

Just picked up the complete 360, is a 73' and the 71' shortblock also picked up a 8.25 sure grip, for a good price. Planning on freshenig up the long block with some part laying around and get the dart a roller for now. Take the shortblock and my 340 j heads to machine shop and have them checked out.

Also had a chance to pull oil pump apart and found culprit for the destruction. Not sure where it came from or how but it was wedged into the oil pump drive, it sure did some destruction.

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 104
I'm going to cut the pickup in half when I get a chance. It has me curious.

Shoot, I'm still a little confused how it got into the pan in the first place, much less past the screen...

Bismarck isn't bad. Williston, watford city, Minot, Sidney... Those rea are the Wild West. Bismarck you can still find housing at decent pricing. Sidney you can rent a room in a trailer house for 7-800 a month. McDonalds rarely has the lobby open, drive thru only. Gas is 40cents higher there than here only 50miles away. Walmart in Williston doesn't stock shelves, they roll pallets of stuff into the isles and walk away. People squatting under mobile homes because there is nowhere affordable to live. People from the south come here and think that because their diesel truck is jacked and has huge mud tire they can still run 80-85 on the packed snow and ice. Drugs use is going nuts. I've never seen so many you g people making 6 figures with black teeth. Man camps, hundreds of dudes crammed into little living compounds. Sexual assault is jumping through the roof, with man on man becoming more prevalent than man on woman (see man camp).

Hmmm...looks like one of the wire clips off a throttle cable. Wonder how it got past the pick up screen?

That's what it looked like to me. I rented garage space years ago that was a couple miles from my house. I did a first fire on a fresh motor through open headers one Saturday afternoon. 20 minutes of run and I left to get a soda at the corner store. Some neighbor dropped a handful of nuts / bolts down the carb while I was gone. Next fire was expensive. Most of it got blown out the exhaust , but a 3/8 - 16 X 3/4 socket head got wedged between an intake valve and seat. I never figured out who , and that sustains my belief in karma and the hope that they paid for it. :D

Bismarck isn't bad. Williston, watford city, Minot, Sidney... Those rea are the Wild West. Bismarck you can still find housing at decent pricing. Sidney you can rent a room in a trailer house for 7-800 a month. McDonalds rarely has the lobby open, drive thru only. Gas is 40cents higher there than here only 50miles away. Walmart in Williston doesn't stock shelves, they roll pallets of stuff into the isles and walk away. People squatting under mobile homes because there is nowhere affordable to live. People from the south come here and think that because their diesel truck is jacked and has huge mud tire they can still run 80-85 on the packed snow and ice. Drugs use is going nuts. I've never seen so many you g people making 6 figures with black teeth. Man camps, hundreds of dudes crammed into little living compounds. Sexual assault is jumping through the roof, with man on man becoming more prevalent than man on woman (see man camp).

Hey........it's a living. LOLOLOLOL Any time you have a gypsy work force , things go to hell in a hurry. They ran a pipeline across N.D. and northern Mn. to Superior , Wi. There was a trail of arrests that followed each segment of the build and if the given municipality only had fights and DWI's , they were lucky.

-
Back