340 valvetrain help

-
Is it possible it has a solid lifter camshaft?

That's a good thought. Check the position of the rocker shafts. They are notched and go a certain way. Why does the timing change so much over the stock setting of 5 degrees btdc. When I listened to the video, it sounded like a exhaust manifold leak, but not sure. cool car!

I'm gonna guess exhaust leaks or a burnt exhaust valve. I'd be running a compresssion test.....But, computer audio is suspect for getting the whole sound through.

Oil pressure sounds fine.

Nice view out of the windshield though!

It think the lifters are hydraulic. The timing has a lot to do with the aftermarket cam shaft I am guessing. I will have to check the rocker shafts, valve lash and the compression test and get back with you guys. I am stumped.

Also consider that it just may be how it is. A lot of these fast ramp camshaft designs are noisy. Couple that with roller rockers and there's more noise. Also too, the steel timing gears (which I am sure it has) add to the noise. It's normal for a high performance engine to make more mechanical noise anyway. Keep the possibility in the back of your mind that it may be normal for that engine.

Ok guys, got off work this morning and dove right into a list of things I was going to check. I popped the valve covers off and right out of the gate I noticed that the rocker shafts were not on properly. The oil holes were facing up and the grooved ends were backwards. The guy that installed them must have been dyslexic. Took them off for inspection and they looked fine. I think I have diverted disaster! Got them put back on the right way and they are pouring oil onto the rockers now.
Reset all the valves and took her for a test run. There is a slight slight tick now but it was so much better than it was.
Thanks to all for the help.

That's a good thought. Check the position of the rocker shafts. They are notched and go a certain way. Why does the timing change so much over the stock setting of 5 degrees btdc. When I listened to the video, it sounded like a exhaust manifold leak, but not sure. cool car!

A high performance cam requires a completely different timing curve than the factory curve. Generally the bigger the cam the more aggressive the timing needs to be

-
Back