349cui build up

-
Last time I ran a comp dual energy 275.
At this point there were no valve reliefs in the pistons.

A friend of mine rebuild my new 727, but at the first kick down the trans don't shift, so I spin to 7000rpm.

The hydr. valve train collaps and now little notches are in the pistons.

For the new cam and head set up, I will put on the heads with an home build valve cutting tool.

Last time I ran a comp dual energy 275.
At this point there were no valve reliefs in the pistons.

A friend of mine rebuild my new 727, but at the first kick down the trans don't shift, so I spin to 7000rpm.

The hydr. valve train collaps and now little notches are in the pistons.

For the new cam and head set up, I will put on the heads with an home build valve cutting tool.

Witch cam,are you going to run?....

Hi Martin,

what about these Ede-heads....what lift can they handle? For this build i´d choose a little more agressive cam and a 3500 rpm converter for sure....i put a Turbo Action 10", 3500 stall in my Valiant some weeks ago, much more fun to drive, absolutely no problem on the street. And leaves pretty hard full throttle at the track (best ET 11.98 so far, still tuning).

btw, nice stuff that you are doing there!

Michael

Hi Michael,

I am still having the components to build a street friendly performance engine.
So I don´t want to buy a lot of new stuff.
I drive a lot of "German Autobahn" :D and so I am happy with my 3.23 - 3.55 gear.

But the main problem will be the cast pistons. The crower cam will make power to 6000rpm. I hope the cast piston will handle this rpm.
More power, more rpm will be critical I think.

New pistons, new converter and 3.91 - 4.10 rear gear will be really hot but expensive :pale:

i know a local stock car racer that uses regular cast pistons (not hypereutectic) in his 350.It spins 6500 lap after lap every season
.stock mopar pistons were just cast back in the day.

Hi Martin,

as far as i know cast pistons will get hurt when the piston speed is reaching some point, around 4300 feet per minute if i remember correctly. I calculated this with 4" stroke (i do have KB hypereutectic pistons = cast in my engine) and found that even with the longer stroke up to 6500 should be no problem, my limiter is set to 6400. So in your case, with shorter stroke, the cast pistons should be absolutely fine. For example, i know two 318 engines that use Nos, with careful tuning no problem with cast pistons, and these engines both see around 6500-7000 rpm at the track regularely.

I know.....the cool stuff is always expensive.....ask me how i know ;-)

Michael

I was allways worried about the cast pistons, so this sounds really good to me.

Alternative I am having the comp cam XE274H
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=628&sb=2

An Artikel in the Engine Masters impressed me.
Solid Vs. Hydraulic Lifters - Battle Of The Bump Sticks

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...d_vs_hydraulic_lifters/dyno_test_results.html

If I can get the torque curve from a 220° Hydraulik stick, that a used before and I was happy with the torque, plus the extra horse power on top to 6000rpm I am fine.
Remember the 2500stall and 3.55 gear.

Or do I have to take the comp cam?????

I have looked into this same bottom end scenario using a 360 stroke and 318 truck slug cast piston, and it works just fine. I had 65cc chambers, and with about 0.013" above the deck, corrected with slightly thicker gasket, my CR was right at 9.7:1.

And unless you are spinning that engine frequently over 6600, I doubt the cast pistons would complain.

Hey Martin! I didn't know you were on here! Well it's been since September since you posted last, how is the build going?

-
Back